Stipulation Could Hurt PN-G Coaching Candidates/Comments From Coach Long!

KFDM COOP

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rykerx144

I wouldnt classify Barbay or Alvarez as strictly a running coach.  Both coaches seem to mix it up pretty good, they both use a similar style offense which uses the run to open up a passing game.  Alvarez will be more apt to pull the trick plays out before Barbay would. 

They said the Masters thing may change

I don't think it will. There are some people involved with this who really want to do what is best for PNG, we need to give them a chance. Taking Matt out of the job was not an easy thing for them to do.Trust me, they didn't do it to get back in the same situation. They want change also.I know I keep saying it but it is going end up good.

I find it quite amusing all the anti-Masters sentiment on the board. I wouldn't trust a 4A or 5A head coach without one, especially if he has the added responsibility of Athletic Director. If someone has been in 4A or 5A football several years and has the desire to be either a head coach OR athletic director at that level, he needs to get off his or her butt and complete the Mid Management Degree which is quite helpful. The only coaches who will complain against it are those who are too lazy or dumb to complete the course work. Let's just take away all certifications or degrees, and let anyone who finished the fifth grade apply. They need 5 years of pee wee coaching experience--stop that --make it 3 years--now maybe some will be happy.

Guest rykerx144

I find it quite amusing all the anti-Masters sentiment on the board. I wouldn't trust a 4A or 5A head coach without one, especially if he has the added responsibility of Athletic Director. If someone has been in 4A or 5A football several years and has the desire to be either a head coach OR athletic director at that level, he needs to get off his or her butt and complete the Mid Management Degree which is quite helpful. The only coaches who will complain against it are those who are too lazy or dumb to complete the course work. Let's just take away all certifications or degrees, and let anyone who finished the fifth grade apply. They need 5 years of pee wee coaching experience--stop that --make it 3 years--now maybe some will be happy.

First of all no one said anything about certifications, I believe the only issue was the master degree!  Second there is big difference between education and experience!  You mention take away degree requirments and give an example of experience?

Do I think a person with with 3 years of coaching pee wee would qualify?    DUH  NO

Do I think a person with 3 years of coaching pee wee with a Masters degree would qualify?  NOPE

Do I think a person who graduated the fifth grade only but still managed to get his certification at most through some type of program and got a job as a coach and worked his way up through the ranks and earned his position as AD and managed a program that suceeded because of his leadership and adminstrative skills, would qualify  YES!!!

So dont try to argue the degree requirments and use experience to justify it! That dont make sense?

Phil Danaher

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Phil Danaher

Born November 23, 1948 (1948-11-23) (age 60)

Place of birth  Saint Joseph, MO

Annual salary $ 99,083 per year[1]

Career highlights

Overall 344-88-4

Playing career

1968-1970 Angelo State

Position QB

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1974-1977

1978-1983

1984-present Dilley HS

Hamshire-Fannett HS

Calallen HS

Philip C. Danaher (born November 23, 1948 in Saint Joseph, Missouri) is an American football coach. He is the current head coach at Calallen High School in Corpus Christi, Texas. Danaher is one of only four Texas high school football coaches to reach 300 career wins.

Danaher was born in Missouri but shortly afterwards his family moved to south Texas. He played high school football at Harlingen High School, graduated in 1967 and received a football scholarship from Angelo State University. Danaher received his Bachelor of Science in physical education in August 1971. He then became assistant coach at 5A Edison High School in San Antonio.

In 1974 Danaher got his first head coaching job in Dilley, Texas, a class 2A school. During his first year, the Wolves won their first district championship in more than a decade and were named regional co-champions. Danaher left Dilley with a 25-15-2 record after four seasons for the head coaching position at Hamshire-Fannett High School, a 3A school. Danaher guided the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns to a 43-22 record in six years, winning three district championships and advancing to the regional finals twice along the way.

Danaher's next stop was 4A Calallen High School. He basically turned around a football program that had not reached the playoffs for 28 years, by leading them to seven the state semi-finals appearances since. Beginning in 1988, Calallen had a state record 16 consecutive seasons with ten or more wins — twice as much as the previous record established by Yates High School from Houston, Texas in the 1960s.

In 2004 Danaher won his 300th high school game, making him only one of four coaches in Texas high school football history to achieve that. As of the end of 2006 season, Danaher ranks 3rd in Texas all-time HS wins as a coach, behind G. A. Moore (Pilot Point High School, 408 wins) and Gordon Wood (Brownwood High School, 395 wins).[2]

[edit] Personal

Danaher's son Wes played [[running back]. At Calallen from 1992-95 and ranks 2nd in Texas HS football career rushing yards with 8,855 yards, behind Ken Hall.[3] His other son Cody played quarterback at Calallen and went on to play at Texas 1993-96, where he backed up Shea Morenz and James Brown.

[edit] References

has anyone confirmed that Calallen's Phil Danaher has applied and will be presented to the hiring commitee?

not yet. The guy making the claim stated he talks with coach Danaher and informed him of the job. His posts have since been removed.

The person who posted it removed them himself.

has anyone confirmed that Calallen's Phil Danaher has applied and will be presented to the hiring commitee?

not yet. The guy making the claim stated he talks with coach Danaher and informed him of the job. His posts have since been removed.

The person who posted it removed them himself.

Might be trial balloon, if the 3 that make the cut don't pan out, he would think I have an interest.

Phil Danaher

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Phil Danaher

Born November 23, 1948 (1948-11-23) (age 60)

Place of birth  Saint Joseph, MO

Annual salary $ 99,083 per year[1]

Career highlights

Overall 344-88-4

Playing career

1968-1970 Angelo State

Position QB

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1974-1977

1978-1983

1984-present Dilley HS

Hamshire-Fannett HS

Calallen HS

Philip C. Danaher (born November 23, 1948 in Saint Joseph, Missouri) is an American football coach. He is the current head coach at Calallen High School in Corpus Christi, Texas. Danaher is one of only four Texas high school football coaches to reach 300 career wins.

Danaher was born in Missouri but shortly afterwards his family moved to south Texas. He played high school football at Harlingen High School, graduated in 1967 and received a football scholarship from Angelo State University. Danaher received his Bachelor of Science in physical education in August 1971. He then became assistant coach at 5A Edison High School in San Antonio.

In 1974 Danaher got his first head coaching job in Dilley, Texas, a class 2A school. During his first year, the Wolves won their first district championship in more than a decade and were named regional co-champions. Danaher left Dilley with a 25-15-2 record after four seasons for the head coaching position at Hamshire-Fannett High School, a 3A school. Danaher guided the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns to a 43-22 record in six years, winning three district championships and advancing to the regional finals twice along the way.

Danaher's next stop was 4A Calallen High School. He basically turned around a football program that had not reached the playoffs for 28 years, by leading them to seven the state semi-finals appearances since. Beginning in 1988, Calallen had a state record 16 consecutive seasons with ten or more wins twice as much as the previous record established by Yates High School from Houston, Texas in the 1960s.

In 2004 Danaher won his 300th high school game, making him only one of four coaches in Texas high school football history to achieve that. As of the end of 2006 season, Danaher ranks 3rd in Texas all-time HS wins as a coach, behind G. A. Moore (Pilot Point High School, 408 wins) and Gordon Wood (Brownwood High School, 395 wins).[2]

[edit] Personal

Danaher's son Wes played [[running back]. At Calallen from 1992-95 and ranks 2nd in Texas HS football career rushing yards with 8,855 yards, behind Ken Hall.[3] His other son Cody played quarterback at Calallen and went on to play at Texas 1993-96, where he backed up Shea Morenz and James Brown.

[edit] References

What's sad about this is that Danaher must have put this in himself. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder