strike zone

trophyman

how do we fix some of the poor calling at some of the tournaments in the area  

5 members have voted

1. 1. how do we fix some of the poor calling at some of the tournaments in the area

• go to umpire school
    • should they volunteer for free for a while

You must coach a 12U team.  Your better kids will learn to adjust.  Coaches are the ones who have the problem.......especially when they coach younger teams that have trouble competing with better teams. 

PS....little advice-----don't P**S them off by posting crap about them on SETXsports and talking bad about them.  Umpires do read this board and they will call your game again. 

i went to a round robin this past weekend one ump.i saw needs to volunteer his time more often

so he can get his strikezone down . the girls don't know what to swing at there confused we just tell them to swing at anything close

I'm not sure how much you've traveled, but a lot of the umps that we have in this area are some of the best around.  Even though you said "One ump I saw"...it's not real fair to call out a group. (and that seems to be where you're going)  All umps are a little different and you might have to take a different approach to each of them to see what they're looking for in a strike zone.  You can't lump them altogether.  That's like saying all short, tobacco chewing, 3rd base coaches in green & orange caps make a lot of CE's!  It could apply...might not.  ;D

I've certainly been a part of games when I thought the umpires weren't very consistent, but you still have to try to teach your girls to be disciplined and not to "chase" bad pitches.

Guest stircrazy

If you are talking about the RR at Crush Park , the 2 umps that were there did a good job in our games both ways. 1 ,who is probably the best you will ever have calling , calls D1 college games for the BIGGER schools like TX,LSU and so on. Although I might not like everything he calls it is real hard to argue with a walking rule book. He also is one of the fairest umps you will ever have. He shows NO favortism even if he knows you. The other is the UIC at most of the Bigger local tournaments in the area. He has always tried to help us out when we needed umps and calls it like he sees it. Strike zones whether big or small ,wide or narrow have to be adjusted by the hitters. It has always been that way. As long as they call it the same for both teams then I have NO problem with an umps zone. Next time you have a problem with the zone in between innings go ask the plate ump how bad your pitcher is missing or what he is seeing so you can make the adjustments you need. Also on your hitters a coach should be able to tell where the zn is early in the game and adjust hitters to that zone.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder