*Lumberton vs. Crosby Playoff Updates*CROSBY UPSETS LUMBERTON!

KFDM COOP

Thats ok Coog fan I will be representing the opposing team you play next week....if you obviously think you are the better team then maybe you could ask our defense, we may have not of came with our heads completely in the game last night, but they were there and your team knew it...you are no better than any other team we played this season.....Go Dayton !!!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little write up if you are interested!

Crosby advances with win over Lumberton

By Nick Cioci

The Baytown Sun 

Published November 15, 2008

HUMBLE — The Crosby Cougars football team hasn’t won a postseason game since beating Houston Davis 50-28 in 2003.

That is until Friday night. The Cougars beat Lumberton 31-21 in a Class 4A Division II bidistrict game at Turner Stadium to advance to the second round of postseason play.

“It’s a huge win,†Cougar head coach Kevin Flanigan said. “The kids felt they could win and believed it when not a lot of people outside of our community felt they could.

“It was a big crowd and the kids just responded well, especially defensively.â€

Senior Chance Casey, who hadn’t played in since Oct. 17 because of a hamstring injury and sophomore quarterback Dominic Merka, led the Cougars.

Casey had five catches for 100 yards and three touchdowns while Merka went 12 of 20 passing for 180 yards and 13 carries for 110 yards.

“I didn’t expect to have that good a game,†Casey said. “I’m just glad to be back.

“It was fun.â€

Casey said he didn’t expect Flanigan to use him much.

“I really thought he was just going to us me at receiver as a decoy,†Casey said. “But I knew I was going to play and he got me the ball and I was able to do things with it.â€

The key play of the game came after the Raiders had tied it up at 21 apiece in the fourth quarter.

The Cougars got the ball after the kickoff and lost two yards on a Merka run.

After missing Casey on second down, Merka and the Cougars were looking at a third and 12 from there 32.

That’s when Merka stepped up and had his biggest run of the night a 55-yarder to give the Cougars the ball at the Raider 13, where they settled for a field goal to take a 24-21 lead.

“It was real big,†Merka said, referring to his run. “It set the team up in a good position to get some points on the board.â€

After the kickoff, the Cougars defense stepped up and made a big play causing the Raiders sophomore quarterback Ryan Hughes to make an errant pitch on the option.

Dylan Judy recovered the fumble for the Cougars on the 13-yard line, which the Cougars turned into seven more points after Merka found Casey in the end zone for the third time.

The two teams battled back and forth in the first quarter, holding each other scoreless the first eight minutes, until Merka hit Casey for a 44-yard touchdown pass with 4:05 left in the first quarter.

The Raiders answered that Cougar score, though, the next time they got the ball with Kyler Keith capping off a six-play 77-yard drive, scoring on a 33-yard run.

The Raiders missed the extra point to leave the Cougars with a 7-6 lead.

The Cougars followed that Raider drive with their own six-play drive, a 61-yarder, with another Merka to Casey score making it 14-6.

Once again, the Raiders answered with a 10-play drive that ended with a Jacob Hanna 19-yard run to make it 14-13 Crosby.

The Cougars took advantage of the first Raider mistake a fumble by Jacob Hanna in the third quarter to add to their lead.

Merka found Xavier Frank on this hook up, an 11-yard strike to take a 21-13 lead.

The Raiders answered back, this time on a 10-play drive that ended with a nine yard run by Hanna.

Ryan Hughes ran it in to add the two for the Cougars to make it 21 a piece.

The Raiders were led by Hanna, who had 24 carries for 150 yards and the two scores.

Did I miss something??The Raiders never led the Coogs all night.It is good to be optomistic about your teams chances .Raiders came in w/high hopes for a longer run than last years,it just didn't happen this year.Losing 30 seniors is hard to be better but they put up a struggle w/what they had.A real good team,just was not their friday night.I guarantee you last yrs.class is proud of what you did.Welcome aboard all you raider fans that want to come see the Broncos.You will see a team on a mission.

Congrats Crosby!!

On another note not making excuses just sharing my thoughts, I think if Beard would have been healthy it would ave been a totally different ball game. He just adds another weapon to the arsonal and a big wall for the middle of the field, I sure hated for it to end but I guess all good things do come to a end sometime.

Good luck in the rest of the playoffs Crosby, I hope yall continue your success.

maybe if Lumberton had its best player this would have turned out different not saying one player can win by himself but a class game like this they can make a difference

I can assure you if BEARD would have been healthy the MERKA kid would not have run wild. Thats a promise even the crosby coach (flanagan) knew they wouldn't been able to run the football. Anthony get healthy son and come back stronger than ever next year and make a statement on the field. Your future is very bright young man. I feel sorry for teams that we play next year the BEAST is going getcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crosby advances with win over Lumberton

By Nick Cioci

The Baytown Sun

Published November 15, 2008

HUMBLE — The Crosby Cougars football team hasn’t won a postseason game since beating Houston Davis 50-28 in 2003.

That is until Friday night. The Cougars beat Lumberton 31-21 in a Class 4A Division II bidistrict game at Turner Stadium to advance to the second round of postseason play.

“It’s a huge win,†Cougar head coach Kevin Flanigan said. “The kids felt they could win and believed it when not a lot of people outside of our community felt they could.

“It was a big crowd and the kids just responded well, especially defensively.â€

Senior Chance Casey, who hadn’t played in since Oct. 17 because of a hamstring injury and sophomore quarterback Dominic Merka, led the Cougars.

Casey had five catches for 100 yards and three touchdowns while Merka went 12 of 20 passing for 180 yards and 13 carries for 110 yards.

“I didn’t expect to have that good a game,†Casey said. “I’m just glad to be back.

“It was fun.â€

Casey said he didn’t expect Flanigan to use him much.

“I really thought he was just going to us me at receiver as a decoy,†Casey said. “But I knew I was going to play and he got me the ball and I was able to do things with it.â€

The key play of the game came after the Raiders had tied it up at 21 apiece in the fourth quarter.

The Cougars got the ball after the kickoff and lost two yards on a Merka run.

After missing Casey on second down, Merka and the Cougars were looking at a third and 12 from there 32.

That’s when Merka stepped up and had his biggest run of the night a 55-yarder to give the Cougars the ball at the Raider 13, where they settled for a field goal to take a 24-21 lead.

“It was real big,†Merka said, referring to his run. “It set the team up in a good position to get some points on the board.â€

After the kickoff, the Cougars defense stepped up and made a big play causing the Raiders sophomore quarterback Ryan Hughes to make an errant pitch on the option.

Dylan Judy recovered the fumble for the Cougars on the 13-yard line, which the Cougars turned into seven more points after Merka found Casey in the end zone for the third time.

The two teams battled back and forth in the first quarter, holding each other scoreless the first eight minutes, until Merka hit Casey for a 44-yard touchdown pass with 4:05 left in the first quarter.

The Raiders answered that Cougar score, though, the next time they got the ball with Kyler Keith capping off a six-play 77-yard drive, scoring on a 33-yard run.

The Raiders missed the extra point to leave the Cougars with a 7-6 lead.

The Cougars followed that Raider drive with their own six-play drive, a 61-yarder, with another Merka to Casey score making it 14-6.

Once again, the Raiders answered with a 10-play drive that ended with a Jacob Hanna 19-yard run to make it 14-13 Crosby.

The Cougars took advantage of the first Raider mistake a fumble by Jacob Hanna in the third quarter to add to their lead.

Merka found Xavier Frank on this hook up, an 11-yard strike to take a 21-13 lead.

The Raiders answered back, this time on a 10-play drive that ended with a nine yard run by Hanna.

Ryan Hughes ran it in to add the two for the Cougars to make it 21 a piece.

The Raiders were led by Hanna, who had 24 carries for 150 yards and the two scores.

Being lucky can go a long way sometimes. Congrats to the Cougs. Good luck on your journey.

You know that is why people get upset at the Lumberton posters. You make a statement about getting "lucky" then try to give a congratulations.  Nice try....

Remember, one idiot dosen't speak for the entire community of Lumberton. We got beat, we acknowledged it, we congratulated Crosby. That is what the majority of the Lumberton posters have done.

Wow......I go out of town for one weekend and come back to this? This had to be the upset of the week.......No Offense Cougars, congrats to you! But from this Bronco fan, I really thought the L-Train would win! This one shocked me so bad I read it first! Fixing to check out the other threads.....Hold your head high Lumberton......now you might want to jump on the Bronco Hwy.90 shootout with Crosby.....haha........I don't know why they are such our rivalry but at least we can now have each others back ;).......Welcome aboard L-Train to the "Crosby Rivalry".......Good Season Lumberton and again, Congrats Crosby, since you beat my L-Train, you need to keep winning! ;D

That was a great game... our defense was on top of its game last night.    Being a Football parent for several years last night was the saddest for me.  My son graduates this year :( but to him and all those fantastic players...We are so proud of each of you, ya'll showed so much integrity on that field tonight, we had a great year, we still proved we were not flukes.  Keep your heads up !!!

They gave up 34 ???

That was a great game... our defense was on top of its game last night.    Being a Football parent for several years last night was the saddest for me.  My son graduates this year :( but to him and all those fantastic players...We are so proud of each of you, ya'll showed so much integrity on that field tonight, we had a great year, we still proved we were not flukes.  Keep your heads up !!!

They gave up 34 ???

I agree I am a Raider fan and thought we did not tackle very well.

Cougs have good skill players... fast as lightning three or four just blazers and it lead to the victory or so i hear.

(and to the lucky comment)

You fumbled the ball where?

so was Texas Tech Lucky or good for beating Texas i say good because missed oppurtunities happen in every game both ways and im sure the cougs failed to punch it in once which means that wasn't it lucky for you to stop them?

(this was not addressed to most fans just those who use words like lucky about kids who worked exceedingly hard all year long and jumped on a football off a bad pitch and won a game)

Cougs have good skill players... fast as lightning three or four just blazers and it lead to the victory or so i hear.

(and to the lucky comment)

You fumbled the ball where?

so was Texas Tech Lucky or good for beating Texas i say good because missed oppurtunities happen in every game both ways and im sure the cougs failed to punch it in once which means that wasn't it lucky for you to stop them?

(this was not addressed to most fans just those who use words like lucky about kids who worked exceedingly hard all year long and jumped on a football off a bad pitch and won a game)

Good post Coog. The L have the winning part down. Now they need to learn to loose with a little dignity. I wasnt there, I was at the Nederland/CE King game where we lost three starters (QB, RB, WR) and had underclassman step up and help win that game. I am very dissapointed in some of these  LUM. quotes about winning if Beard was there. Good teams find a way to win when it counts.

Congrats to both teams on a tough, well played game.  And by the way Diamond J, your crow will be ready for pickup at the Crosby Wal-Mart tomorrow around noon.  We ordered it stuffed to make sure it fills up your pie hole. ;D

If its gonna fill up my pie hole it better be a big pie---never saw this one coming--after Dayton/Crosby I just could not see Lumberton losing but hey I WAS WRONG.

Congrats Crosby!!

On another note not making excuses just sharing my thoughts, I think if Beard would have been healthy it would ave been a totally different ball game. He just adds another weapon to the arsonal and a big wall for the middle of the field, I sure hated for it to end but I guess all good things do come to a end sometime.

Good luck in the rest of the playoffs Crosby, I hope yall continue your success.

Please don't play the "if" card...dang this is one of my pet peeves...injuries are as much a part of football as anything...it is unfortunate that this kid got hurt and missed the game, but most teams have to deal with some type of adversity and/or injuries...you lost, accept it and move on...your kids had a great year and your program is moving in the right direction...don't start making excuses.

maybe if Lumberton had its best player this would have turned out different not saying one player can win by himself but a class game like this they can make a difference

I can assure you if BEARD would have been healthy the MERKA kid would not have run wild. Thats a promise even the crosby coach (flanagan) knew they wouldn't been able to run the football. Anthony get healthy son and come back stronger than ever next year and make a statement on the field. Your future is very bright young man. I feel sorry for teams that we play next year the BEAST is going getcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...............If losing ONE player makes a big difference-----------------how big a difference does losing FIVE players make?..........................maybe a point or two?

Guest RatedRSuperstar

Congrats to both teams on a tough, well played game.  And by the way Diamond J, your crow will be ready for pickup at the Crosby Wal-Mart tomorrow around noon.  We ordered it stuffed to make sure it fills up your pie hole. ;D

If its gonna fill up my pie hole it better be a big pie---never saw this one coming--after Dayton/Crosby I just could not see Lumberton losing but hey I WAS WRONG.

I appreciate your honesty  :D, good luck to the Bronco's and Coogs this week.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder