Quitting...

Guest dailynews

If you quit now you will always be a quitter. You cant quit life when the going gets tough. What are the parents teaching these boys if they let them quit just because they are losing a couple of games. Football is more than wins and losses. Encourage these young men to stick it out, they will be better off in the long run.

No one wants to be known as a quitter, however, believe it or not, football is just a game.  Games are played because they are supposed to be fun.  If they are not having fun, they should quit.  It's not like quitting school or quitting a job, which could affect them for the rest of their lives.    Football, like all sports, takes tons of commitment.  If they don't have it, they should move on and find something that they truly enjoy.  Life it too short.  JMO

one thing to think of...  quitting rarely is "just an individual decision."    it almost always has it effects on the team members you leave behind. 

It is something to consider.  But, the team members who remain will have to pick up the slack.  If these are starters that leave(all speculative), the backups who would then get to start should look at it as an opportunity.  I would like to think that I wouldn't quit, but I don't know all the circumstances.

IMO.It seems to be just not the win/loss thing.Heck,LCM has been loosing forever and they never had people leave the program.It seems attitudes,commitments and the like have gone south in the past few years.To quit just because your losing games will make that person a quitter in life imo.Not good.I don't know what is going on over at lcm so I can't justify it one way or the other...or if it is true.

When you begin, you begin with a commitment to your teammates, your school and yourself....  Letting down your teammates because it is not "fun" anymore is a lame reason.  Marriage, jobs, etc.... what happens later in life when things arent all rosy???

Again, we don't have any idea what the reasons are behind this. The coaches also begin with a commitment to the players. Are you sure those are being fulfilled? Let's not be so quick to jump on kids when we don't know the whole story.

My intention was not to spread rumors...  the initial post was intentionally vague, and meant to start a discussion about "quitting" in general.  There has been some very good insight given so far, and I hope this discussion is NOT censored.  Many of us on this sight are parents... and some of what I have read so far could be helpful to me should I have to discuss this topic at some point with my son.

Hopefully, if the thread stays up, the replies will discuss quitting in general... and not point fingers at any particular schools.

maybe cause a coach cussed you out in front of the entire team blaming you for the loss of a game.  This happened to a kid I know and he thought about quitting, even told the coach so (from what I heard).  Luckily he was talked out of it by his teammates, but I can understand why he wanted to quit. 

By the way, I have quit a job before because it wasn't fun anymore and because I was being put down and verbally abused.  Oh, I wasn't being cussed out or anything, but it was made plain to me that I was not wanted, so I left.  Does that make me a quitter?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder