Lamar Football Stadium

Guest coachacola

I've been pretty quite but if Lamar spends more than $25 million on the stadium there will be expansion made. There are some BIG TIME DONORS who Coach Tubbs and Dr Simmons are talking with about naming rights.

So, right now until we see the plans I wouldn't say Lamar will not expand Cardinal Stadium. It is a possibility but not a probability.

I agree with abovetherim on this.  $18 million was the minimum to get the stadium renovated and a new athletic complex built.  $23 million was the price tag for suites and a club room.  $25 million plus will probably get extra suites and/or more seats.

The $100 million campaign is for academics and athletics.  From the May announcement of the campaign:

The university will continue working toward the goal of raising $100 million over the next five to seven years to support faculty, students and programs that will move Lamar University to national prominence in the years ahead, said Camille Mouton, vice president for university advancement. The campaign emphases include: raising funds for student enrichment through scholarships and other programs; faculty excellence through endowed chairs, professorships and fellowships or by endowing colleges and departments.

The campaign also seeks private investment in several multi-disciplinary programs such as a center for faculty development and research; nursing programs; speech, language and hearing development disorders; and the library. The comprehensive campaign also includes emphasis on places, including the creation of a new Alumni Center; renovation of the university's baseball stadium, and renovation of Cardinal Stadium, the anticipated home of the university's reinstated football program pending board approval.

Of the more than $46 million raised, $22.4 million is earmarked for academic support, $11.4 million is in scholarship endowments, $3.4 million goes toward athletics, $4 million goes toward a variety of other designations, and $5 million was undesignated.

Lamar needs more than just a 30K stadium to be taken seriously if they want to go the FBS route.  This $100 million campaign is part of the strategy to raise Lamar's standing, both academically and athletically.  I think by 2015 Lamar will be playing FBS football in a 30K+ Cardinal Stadium.

Link: http://lamar.edu/Campaign/32.htm

Love the way you think UNLV! I just hope (we) aren't disappointed if Lamar decides to wait for stadium expansion.

I don't know about we, I will be disappointed. That doesn't mean I will turn my back on LU. I just think by not doing expansion now

will lead to a very very very small chance of expansion ever happening. I can already hear the argument against stadium expansion, "Since LU can't

pack the house in the current 17,000 stadium, why waste money expanding it."

Without expanding the stadium with fbs as a future treat, LU will be seen as small time. Small time will not bring the fans out. Low attendance will lead to this arguement, "Since LU can't pack the house in the current 17,000 stadium, why waste money expanding it."

Love the way you think UNLV! I just hope (we) aren't disappointed if Lamar decides to wait for stadium expansion.

"Since LU can't pack the house in the current 17,000 stadium, why waste money expanding it."

That's the point people are already making now, I think you have made everyone's point for those not in favor of 30+ thousand seats...

"Since LU can't pack the house in the current 17,000 stadium, why waste money expanding it."

That's the point people are already making now, I think you have made everyone's point for those not in favor of 30+ thousand seats...

Well it is a good point. Lamar could not pack the house before so football was dropped. So what makes anything different this time

around?    A new field house for the coaches and players won't pack the house. Turf instead grass won't pack the house. SLC wont pack the house.

FCS jv league wont pack the house. vp suites wont pack the house. So yes, they have a good point in opposing any expansion.

What will pack the house?      A grand stadium with a college football look and feel AND LU playing FBS. LU playing with the big boys, UT, OU, LSU.

The big boys coming to Beaumont, like Fresno st or Alabama instead of Abilene Christian or Mississippi College. Locals having a good reason to stay home.

I can see both sides to this issue of how deep into football should Lamar really shoot for.  I don't think shoot for the moon day one is necessarily the best way to go.  Very costly unless you have unlimited athletic funds coming in.  My guess is the majority just wants to see football back at Lamar.  I personally think that Lamar has access to the big money, both individuals and corporations that will be willing to donate to the cause.  Think of the trial lawyers in Beaumont.  Their ego begs them to put their names on university buildings and athletic facilities, including stadiums.  Think of the corporations like ExxonMobil, Jasons Deli(headquartered in Beaumont), and others.

For Lamar to move up to the highest level they absolutely must have the committment from the President and the Board of Regents, not to mention the faculty.  Then they must pay their coaches the salaries that will keep them at Lamar, assuming they are doing a good job.  That means coordinators mus be in the lower six figures.  Then the team must be not only competitive on the field and exciting to watch, but they must also win.

Lamar would do well to use Boise State as a model.  Their president set out with a goal of being in the Pac 10 someday.  They have moved up from the Big West, then the WAC, and now the have their eyes set on the Mountain West Conference.  I'd say Boise is one of the most successful programs in recent years to move from D1AA to D1A.  They have been successful on the field, they fill their stands every game, they travel well, and they have undergone serious stadium expansion.

Bottom line, the President and BOR have to set the goal for Lamar Football.  Then proceed to get there.  I seriously do not think money is a problem for Lamar.

Guest abovetherim

Great post, and I totally agree with every point you made! Personally, I think Lamar needs to be in a FBS conference with teams coming to Beaumont (who otherwise would not) and community excited to watch a football game in person and not one of the many games on TV.

Lamar has to some how get the people who are football fans and not necessarily Lamar students, alumnus, faculty, administators and friends of the university to get excited to see college football in the Golden Triangle.

I don't see this happening if Lamar is in a FCS conference.

Excellent post Green, although I want to add Conns and Englobal is headquartered here as well as Entergy Texas.

Thanks. The more corporations the better. Should have included those fine companies in my post but was in a hurry and forgot.  Hey, what do you expect from someone from South Jefferson County! ;D

Guest coachacola

With the market in a turmoil, I was told the Stadium is on hold. Can't sell any bonds.

If that's true then it's only temporary, the markets won't stay frozen that long.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124