Who should be the Athletic Director?

With emphasis moving to developing "complete programs", should this be a position of neutrality and the person in this capacity not be a head coach of any sport?

Is there a point to an athletic director's position other than a way to justify a higher salary and maybe represent the school at district meetings?

With emphasis moving to developing "complete programs", should this be a position of neutrality and the person in this capacity not be a head coach of any sport?

Is there a point to an athletic director's position other than a way to justify a higher salary and maybe represent the school at district meetings?

AD should be the one hiring/firing coaches (with the help of the personnel director for teaching positions).  AD should oversee all programs within the school district to ensure that students are learning the program from the get-go.  AD should make sure everyone in every sport is doing his/her job and all programs are being run smoothly. 

Cardinal Supporter/Stangchain,

Could  you all let me know who you think should be the AD? I appreciate the responses, but I couldn't tell from your responses who you thought should be calling the shots. However, your post does a great job of posting what the role of this person should be. Thanks.

The AD should be the Head Football Coach.  My reason for this is:  no other sport needs  as many coaches assisting  nor does any other sports program have as many players.  99% of all ADs are head football coaches as well.  The system seems to work.  Doesn't mean that its perfect.  The term "athletic director" pretty much means administrator. 

Mustang,

What if the baseball coach has won championship and has more seniority? What if the football coach is so consumed by his sport that he neglects other sports? What if the softball coach has a master's degree and has better organizational skills? What if the basketball coach has been more successful than the football coach? My point exactly, how should this be determined? Many people say the person in control of the "money sport"; which is most cases is the football (do you subtract the cost of equipment, travel and all the other associated expenses to determine this???) should be the AD, that to me borders on rewarding coach and giving a coach a bonus (postion/salary) that directly contrast the UIL rule of prohibiting a coach from receiving bonuse money (okay, far reach) but what do you think?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin