MLB PROSPECTS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will start this out by saying the kid that sticks out to me is Malcolm Bronson of the Jasper Bulldogs, this kid has vision, strength, and very good awareness on the field. He plays the game of baseball, with a big smile. If you haven't seen this kid play then you are missing out on pure talent.

The reason that they have minor leauges is to "season" young talent and to see if they can develop their skills enough to reach the top. It is estimated that 1 percent of all high school baseball players play college ball and less than 1 percent of all college baseball players play pro ball. It is an almost impossible dream. Few players have the skills to reach that goal.

I would think the legitimate pro prospects (i.e., who is going to get drafted out of H.S.) would be:

(1)  Anthony Fazio (Kelly) -- 90+ fast ball, Rice signee

(2)  Ross Hales (BH) -- LHP who touches 90 and can flat out pitch, Texas A&M signee.

(3)  Trey Haley (Nac. Central) -- low 90s, hard thrower, Rice signee.

(4)  Hunter Cervenka (Baytown Sterling) -- LHP who throws in 90s, U of Texas signee

(5)  Brett Marshall (Baytown Sterling) -- RHP who throws in low 90s.  San Jac signee.

I also think a couple of other pitchers from BH (Thamm and Silva) have a shot at being drafted.  Thamm is a LHP with above averge vecocity.  Silva throws hard as well but is probably the least polished.  Both have signed with jucos.

Haley is (per the scouting services) the highest ranked of these players.  I really do not see any position players being 'draftable' out of this year's HS class. Marshall is the one moving up the fastest...he came from nowhere.

In the juco ranks, I think Kevin Angelle (San Jac) will probably get drafted somewhere in the mid rounds.  I haven't seen Kevn pitch this year but his numbers are good.

One thing to remember about draftability:  "signability".  MLB is not going to draft a kid that simply won't sign, or wants too much to sign.  For example (and this is only a hypothetical example):  Anthony Fazio is projected to go in the 4th round.  To sign (and give up his scholarship to Rice), he wants $1,500,000.  That amount is well above the 4th round slot money.  MLB will back off the kid completely and he may go undrafted...completely.

Another thing is "projectability".  MLB really does not care if a kid is 10-0 on the mound, or hit .475 for his HS team.  They grade players out on where they will be at some point in their future (the so-called 5 tools).  That impacts much more than performance at the HS level.

Good luck to all...it is always a treat at this time of the season.

I would think the legitimate pro prospects (i.e., who is going to get drafted out of H.S.) would be:

(1)  Anthony Fazio (Kelly) -- 90+ fast ball, Rice signee

(2)  Ross Hales (BH) -- LHP who touches 90 and can flat out pitch, Texas A&M signee.

(3)  Trey Haley (Nac. Central) -- low 90s, hard thrower, Rice signee.

(4)  Hunter Cervenka (Baytown Sterling) -- LHP who throws in 90s, U of Texas signee

(5)  Brett Marshall (Baytown Sterling) -- RHP who throws in low 90s.  San Jac signee.

I also think a couple of other pitchers from BH (Thamm and Silva) have a shot at being drafted.  Thamm is a LHP with above averge vecocity.  Silva throws hard as well but is probably the least polished.  Both have signed with jucos.

Haley is (per the scouting services) the highest ranked of these players.  I really do not see any position players being 'draftable' out of this year's HS class. Marshall is the one moving up the fastest...he came from nowhere.

In the juco ranks, I think Kevin Angelle (San Jac) will probably get drafted somewhere in the mid rounds.  I haven't seen Kevn pitch this year but his numbers are good.

One thing to remember about draftability:  "signability".  MLB is not going to draft a kid that simply won't sign, or wants too much to sign.  For example (and this is only a hypothetical example):  Anthony Fazio is projected to go in the 4th round.  To sign (and give up his scholarship to Rice), he wants $1,500,000.  That amount is well above the 4th round slot money.  MLB will back off the kid completely and he may go undrafted...completely.

Another thing is "projectability".  MLB really does not care if a kid is 10-0 on the mound, or hit .475 for his HS team.  They grade players out on where they will be at some point in their future (the so-called 5 tools).  That impacts much more than performance at the HS level.

Good luck to all...it is always a treat at this time of the season.

I Think Albert Lott of Ozen should go along with those guys

Albert Lott (Beaumont Ozen)6'3 225lb LHP who throws in the 90's, uncommitted

Lott is a big bodied LHP but, with all due respect, I don't think he throws in the 90s.  I saw him pitch this summer and he was in the lower to mid 80s.  None of the scouts I have talked with has indicated differently this spring.  With that being said, he does have some projectiblity with his size and being a LHP.  He is a very, very late draft choice (as a project) if at all.

Good info MIF04 and rite on the $$ if you'll also look back most that do get drafted are usually signed with a D1 and a JUCO school in the early signing period or at least with a JUCO. With the new rules, projectiblity is somewhat out the window for a team to 'draft-follow-sign' a player that grows as expected with a season in JUCO. 

Lott is a big bodied LHP but, with all due respect, I don't think he throws in the 90s.  I saw him pitch this summer and he was in the lower to mid 80s.  None of the scouts I have talked with has indicated differently this spring.  With that being said, he does have some projectiblity with his size and being a LHP.  He is a very, very late draft choice (as a project) if at all.

I dont know bout been drafted in late or mid rounds, but Lott does sit at 87-88 and can get up to 92, and that was this school year. I seen that with my own eyes.

Good info MIF04 and rite on the $$ if you'll also look back most that do get drafted are usually signed with a D1 and a JUCO school in the early signing period or at least with a JUCO. With the new rules, projectiblity is somewhat out the window for a team to 'draft-follow-sign' a player that grows as expected with a season in JUCO.   

That's actually a good point that I forgot...the end of "draft and follow" with JUCO kids may have a material impact.  Since this is the 1st year, how much of an impact remains to be seen.

I have a question...maybe you guys can help me out. I understand or I'm aware of some of the rule changes not all. My question....A player is drafted in the late rounds by say the Astros but does not sign, goes to Juco instead. Do the Astros hold a right to talk/negotiate with that player before the next year's draft and before any other MLB club does ?

Guest vpirate

They had the gun on him in Vidor and he touched 90 several times....  I still believe he needs alittle polish but there's alot of future potential there.

That's actually a good point that I forgot...the end of "draft and follow" with JUCO kids may have a material impact.  Since this is the 1st year, how much of an impact remains to be seen.

I have a question...maybe you guys can help me out. I understand or I'm aware of some of the rule changes not all. My question....A player is drafted in the late rounds by say the Astros but does not sign, goes to Juco instead. Do the Astros hold a right to talk/negotiate with that player before the next year's draft and before any other MLB club does ?

Used to be that way with none of any other teams org being allowed to talk to player or family member. I have no idea why it was changed. They used to be locked in with whoever drafted up until a ?? (date) after schools out with a exception of playoff teams and then only 24 hrs after completing tourn. In our case the draft took place during the 99 Juco seriies of which he went in a higher round but didn't sign. The second trip to the series in 2001 he had 24 hrs after being elem to sign with the team that had drafted him the yr before which he did. I dought MLB was behind the new rule. IMO it sucks for the HS players.

They had the gun on him in Vidor and he touched 90 several times....  I still believe he needs alittle polish but there's alot of future potential there.

Is he signed to play somewhere...if he's touched 90 several times he most certainly would be of intrest to several D1s without a dought.

Used to be that way with none of any other teams org being allowed to talk to player or family member. I have no idea why it was changed. They used to be locked in with whoever drafted up until a ?? (date) after schools out with a exception of playoff teams and then only 24 hrs after completing tourn In our case the draft had already taken place after being elem in the 99 JUCO series. I dought MLB was behind the new rule. IMO it sucks for the HS players.

Thanks, 643. I agree with your assessment...not as good for the high schoolers.

Thanks, 643. I agree with your assessment...not as good for the high schoolers.

It totally sucks, I used to study the draft when we were in the mix, I wasn't aware they had changed the rule till I was told on here last yr. I didn't think the system was broke.

Lott hit 90 several times in the BC tourney. had a lot of guns on him.

This is an example of where I had my information confirmed from this summer.  If he is throwing 90s now, that is different than I knew...of course, you would think there would be a huge buzz on that kind of velocity out of a LHP...for him, I hope so...I just haven't heard it:

2007 Sunshine South Showcase

Player: Albert Lott

Position: LHP

Height: 6-2

Weight: 220

60 Yd: 7.52

OF Velo: 

IF Velo: 

1B Velo: 79

C Velo: 

Pop Time: 

Fastball: 84

Curveball: 

Slider: 75

Split: 

Knuckleball: 

Change-up: 

FB Range: 81-82

PG Grade: 8.5

Sparq Vertical: 

Sparq Shuttle: 

Sparq Thirty: 

Sparq Powerball: 

Sparq Rating:

This is an example of where I had my information confirmed from this summer.  If he is throwing 90s now, that is different than I knew...of course, you would think there would be a huge buzz on that kind of velocity out of a LHP...for him, I hope so...I just haven't heard it:

2007 Sunshine South Showcase

Player: Albert Lott

Position: LHP

Height: 6-2

Weight: 220

60 Yd: 7.52

OF Velo: 

IF Velo: 

1B Velo: 79

C Velo: 

Pop Time: 

Fastball: 84

Curveball: 

Slider: 75

Split: 

Knuckleball: 

Change-up: 

FB Range: 81-82

PG Grade: 8.5

Sparq Vertical: 

Sparq Shuttle: 

Sparq Thirty: 

Sparq Powerball: 

Sparq Rating:

I agree. I haven't seen Lott pitch. If he is 6'3 225, throwing 90, and left-handed scouts would be all over him....I mean all over him. Not a knock on Lott. Just that all these stats ain't adding up when you look at the attention he's getting. I realize he's gotten some interest from a few scouts....but the numbers I'm hearing, every MLB scout would be in town.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder