Lamar Head Football Coach

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine the donation surge if a big name, like Jimmy or Barry, was named as coach.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.  Are you talking about THE Jimmy Johnson.  Man, there is NO WAY that he is leaving the Florida coast to come to LU.  Surely you can imagine the millions of dollars he has been offered to come out of retirement and coach somebody's team.  Just not gonna happen.

And Barry . . . ?  Why, just for the name?  If he were to agree to come, I wish I were able to match it plus a dollar to get him to decline.

Get outta there unlv - you're making all of us that are serious about the project very nervous.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?    worse case I'm wrong, so what.... However If I  say it enough, I might trigger something in the universe that reverses the polarity

in Jimmy's brain.

Guest coachacola

I'm also warming up to the idea of Craig Stump as head coach.  Since most of Lamar's big donors are local people I think they'd be satisfied with him, especially since he'd probably stay at Lamar for a while, as opposed to someone like Coach Fran who'd be gone in a few years.

I kind of like the idea of Coach Stump being that he is from the area and he is offensive minded.  I agree with Cola in that the money donors would go for him and that he might stay here for a while.  The local kids I feel would benefit, but would he be able to recruit other parts of Texas well enough?  I know nobody wants to rush this process, but Lamar isn't even giving us any teasers. :-X

Guest tigersvoice

I kind of like the idea of Coach Stump being that he is from the area and he is offensive minded.  I agree with Cola in that the money donors would go for him and that he might stay here for a while.  The local kids I feel would benefit, but would he be able to recruit other parts of Texas well enough?  I know nobody wants to rush this process, but Lamar isn't even giving us any teasers. :-X

In my opinion LU is trying to get this whole thing right.  They are not going to conduct their Head Coach search through the newspapers nor through this website - nor should they!

Do you all think stump has the job wrapped up? Here is my top ten list for he won't get it:

10. He's a high school coach

9. He's not the most qualified candidate

8. What has he really done lately?

7. He's a high school coach

6. Can he mix with the high level donors as well as the regular joe schmoes? i'm not so sure he can.

5. He wouldn't be able to bring in a top notch staff underneath him

4. his name won't attract the big dollars we need.

3. he's a high school coach

2. we need someone who has already infiltrated the college ranks and has connections and I don't mean ten years in the past.

1. HE'S  A HIGH SCHOOL COACH!!

There must be someone else??

Franchione was over 2 million. Not sure Lamar can pay the salaries to compete at these levels (exception N.Illinois):

Coaching Carousel: Updated Hirings, Firings, Resignations, and Vacancies

The rundown on college football vacancies - hirings, resignations, and firings.

SCHOOL

Former Coach

Salary

New Coach

Salary

SMU

Phil Bennett

$495,652

June Jones

$1,950,000

Baylor

Guy Morriss

$1,114,236

Art Briles

$1,800,000

Michigan

Lloyd Carr

$1,454,619

Rich Rodriguez

$2,500,000

Texas A&M

Dennis Franchione

$2,012,000

Mike Sherman

$1,800,000

Nebraska

Bill Callahan

$1,690,317

Bo Pelini

$1,100,000

Mississippi

Ed Orgeron

$905,000

Houston Nutt

$1,900,000

Colorado State

Sonny Lubick

$530,000

Steve Fairchild

Georgia Tech

Chan Gailey

$1,009,191

Paul Johnson

Northern Illinois

Joe Novak

$212,496

Jerry Kill

Duke

Ted Roof

$370,000

David Cutcliffe

$1,500,000

Southern Miss

Jeff Bower

$349,983

Larry Fedora

$700,000

Arkansas

Houston Nutt

$1,049,644

Bobby Petrino

$2,850,000

Washington State

Bill Doba

$599,042

Paul Wulff

Houston

Art Briles

$900,000

Kevin Sumlin

UCLA

Karl Dorrell

$881,000

Rick Neuheisel

$1,250,000

Navy

Paul Johnson

$1,100,000

Ken Niumatalolo

West Virginia

Rich Rodriguez

$1,800,000

Bill Stewart

Hawaii

June Jones

$800,016

Greg McMackin

$1,100,000

Do you all think stump has the job wrapped up? Here is my top ten list for he won't get it:

10. He's a high school coach

9. He's not the most qualified candidate

8. What has he really done lately?

7. He's a high school coach

6. Can he mix with the high level donors as well as the regular joe schmoes? i'm not so sure he can.

5. He wouldn't be able to bring in a top notch staff underneath him

4. his name won't attract the big dollars we need.

3. he's a high school coach

2. we need someone who has already infiltrated the college ranks and has connections and I don't mean ten years in the past.

1. HE'S  A HIGH SCHOOL COACH!!

There must be someone else??

that's only 6, u said the same one 4 times.  ;D

I don't think it'll be Stump. A high school coach restarts Lamar's football would be a joke here and all

over the country. Stump will either be the assistant head coach to Jimmy or OC.

what Jimmy r u talking about?  jimmy johnson, who coach the Miami Hurricanes, and the 1993-1994 World Champion Dallas Cowboys?  u r kidding, right?

This is the hidden content, please

Stump has been the head coach at West Brook since 2005. In 2007, he won his second consecutive District 21-5A title by leading his team to a 10-1 record.

Prior to West Brook, he was the head coach at Kelly High School, also in Beaumont. Before becoming coaching in high school, Stump spent six years as an assistant for Mississippi State under his former college coach, Jackie Sherrill as well as three seasons as an assistant at Tulane.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder