HF girls

Guest Ricthepic

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The head coach was offered the freshman job??? No way!!! If they don't want the person back as head coach they surely wouldn't offer the person a job inside the same basketball program?  So there is a contract just not head coach? Are they coming back under those circumstances? Sounds to me they want the person gone without firing them and it would be wise to move on with this demotion?? Anyone no if this is true or not?? I will have to make some calls to get the answers to this one!

Guest bleed orange

I am going to go out on a limb here and I know my karma will take a hit. But that's OK. HF has the talent to be sucessful at basketball. In my opinion basketball takes a back seat to volleyball. After one of their game some of the girls drove to Dallas to play in a volleyball tournament. Maybe that's why they are good in volleyball but they could be good in basketball too. Basketball during basketball season and volleyball during volleyball season. Just an opinion. I know, you did not ask for one.

Guest KirbyKat

I can remember when the Lady Horns were an elite program. From what everyone has posted it still has the potential to be. I realize this is one of the most competitive districts in the state. HJ, Orangefield, Silsbee....Wow! I hope the Horns can find the right coach, that will stay and bring the program back to playoff status. BTW, congrats to all the playoff teams and the girls that made All-District. Sid

I know their 8th grade won district this year, I'm pretty sure they went undefeated.  So there is a lot of talent on its way along with what they already have. They should be in the hunt for the playoffs next year.

Does anyone know why they would demote her to freshman coach? 

• 2 weeks later...

HF has always had a great little dribblers program.  The problem comes into play in high school not so much girls but with the boys of coaches pulling the players all different directions to choose a sport.  The boys program is non-existant.  No good basketball coach is going to stay at a school that doesn't care about basketball.  We have an extremely tough district to compete in and need truly dedicated players.  Same goes with the pull between volleyball and basketball. 

HF has always had a great little dribblers program.  The problem comes into play in high school not so much girls but with the boys of coaches pulling the players all different directions to choose a sport.  The boys program is non-existant.  No good basketball coach is going to stay at a school that doesn't care about basketball.  We have an extremely tough district to compete in and need truly dedicated players.  Same goes with the pull between volleyball and basketball. 

I think you raise some valid points here. The LB's is a good introduction to basketball for the boys. But you have to implement competitve summer programs for the boys. And there are several "elders"  ;D in HF who take the time during the summer to get the guys in area tournaments. I hear there is an open gym in the summer but I'm not sure. If not, the coached definitely need to make this option available for players.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Strosbeforehos

HF (8th Grade)Girls Have Won district the past three years!  You know it's bad when you can't make the playoffs with this kind of talent.  I know the freshman coach this year knew not one thing about basketball and didn't really even want to be coaching. He constantly made comments behind the head coaches back and left a sour taste in the freshmans mouth with nothing to look forward to in the future.   Ask any of the coaches out there and they will tell you Freshman Athletics mean nothing!!  Instead of having a program to better your varsity all that was done was build resentment and put down the freshman and most of the JV team.  Each year in every sport there is a "Chosen One" These kids are put up on a pedestal and can do no wrong.  Instead of building great athletes they turn into cocky monsters that end up tearing the teams apart.  Our JV Coach is well respected by the kids and knows basketball.  I hope she is in the running for the varsity job.  I heard the same story as "Booger".  I also know from right out of the girls mouths that there was constant bickering between the new AD and the Head Coach.  Also not a good thing!  Kids Talk and Parents Talk even More!!!!

Well...I sure hope you know the freshman basketball coach because you sure did give him a bashing and brought him up for no reason. Now...if it's the 8th graders that have won district the past three years it's this season coming up and the next three that the team should go far. It's hard for freshman and sophomores to be consistent and dominant on the varsity level. Now I don't ever talk on here but I feel I should back my friend up since I KNOW him and you probably don't...

"I know the freshman coach this year knew not one thing about basketball and didn't really even want to be coaching. He constantly made comments behind the head coaches back and left a sour taste in the freshmans mouth with nothing to look forward to in the future.  Ask any of the coaches out there and they will tell you Freshman Athletics mean nothing!!"

Did you know that he is a volleyball and track coach and that is what his passion is and what he knows backwards forwards and upside down? Did you know that he was coaching basketball because no one else would do it and he said that he would if they absolutely needed him to? And I can promise you that he will agree with you that he didn't know much about coaching basketball...but he did know something. I can promise you that he never made comments behind the head coaches back. He might have stated that he didn't agree with the head coach but he would do what she asked because she was the head coach. I have personally heard him numerous times say that these three grades of girls coming up have a great chance to win state before it's all said and done. I've heard that from him...and tell the girls that...how would that give them a sour taste? And I HIGHLY doubt the coaches think freshman athletics mean nothing. Oh and before you start knocking the coach...maybe you should look at his success in other sports and realize there are other schools wanting him to come to coach volleyball and track. Don't bash the guy for stepping up and doing what no one else would do. If it means that much to you, I'm sure he wouldn't mind at all if you came and helped him at practice and taught him things he didn't know. He would actually be all for it. Kids do talk...and yes...so do parents...and that's the biggest problem with HF...the parents are the root of so much drama. Again...if you have a problem with the freshman coach...approach him...don't bash him on here and tell him you would love to help him out if he didn't mind. I know him and to him it's not about him...it's about the girls and them becoming the best they can be...perhaps you can help!!!

Guest bleed orange

Good post Volleyball. I agree, I also know the freshmen coach and he is a great guy. The problem with HF is they push volleyball more than they do basketball. They can be good at both. You can also say that Orangefield pushes basketball more than they do volleyball and that is true. But we are competitive in volleyball, we just don't have any height. Winning in eight grade means nothing on the varsity level. Every year our girls win district in track at the junior high level. Once they get to high school most of them quit. Why is that? I don't understand. I want our girls to be good in everthing, not just basketball.

Guest Ricthepic

With all this being said...Any word on who the next head coach will be? Has the interview process even started? Best of luck to the Lady Horns

Sorry volleyball and bleed orange, but I am going to have to agree with strosbeforehos on this one. Too many reports coming from practices where he definitely didn't have the varsity coach's back. You both say what a great guy he is and I do not know him personally so i can't argue that point. In my personal face to face dealings with him, I believe he was very out of place. He definitely did not improve the basketball program and should have bowed out before stunting the growth of the program. and by the way, he definitely was not open to help or suggestions.

With all this being said...Any word on who the next head coach will be? Has the interview process even started? Best of luck to the Lady Horns

The latest rumor, and this is only rumor, is that last year's boys varsity coach will be taking over the girls' program.

Once again I feel I must back my friend up. Reports coming from practices...were you ever at the practice to hear any of it? If not, it's just hearsay. I'm not saying he did or didn't, it just really seems outside his character to be doing that. What do you mean when you say he seemed out of place? You say he did not improve the basketball program and he'll tell you that's why he wanted out...because he even felt like they were losing a year. So before you start saying he should have done this or that...at least know what he thinks please. However...he can't bow out...they wouldn't let him before the year...why would they during the year. You say that he definitely was not open to help or suggestions. If this is true then why did I constantly see him talking to other coaches about basketball and what the best thing to do in certain situations is. I saw him talking to the head boys coach, the head girls coach, the jv coach, and even talking with one parent after every single game about what to do and what could be better. Did you or somone you know offer help and he rejected it? To Bleed Orange...I don't know if you are a coach over at orangefield or not, but if you are and openings come up within the next couple of years for volleyball and track you might want to think about contacting him. I know he gets on setxsports sometimes to see what's happening with the playoffs and if he reads all of this (which I pray he doesn't) he isn't going to be too excited. I do not know how long he will want to stay somewhere that the community is not backing him. I will say this...maybe the girls did not learn a lot about basketball but from what I saw...they learned a lot about discipline, respect, and how to carry themselves. And the boys head basketball coach is a good coach...but it's hard to win when you don't have kids who dont' ever play basketball. I think he would be a great fit if that rumor is true.

Bleed should be a coach! I mean he has been around sooooo long he should know the game well enough ;) Volleyball, you send him to Orangefield along with the ex-head basketball coach! Does she coach anything besides baskeball? Because Coach Jost isn't going anywhere for a while I hope. :) 

Guest bleed orange

The problem is parents discuss way to many things in front of their kids. Back when I was young kids did not hear adult conversation. Now days parents rip the coach, rip other players right in front of their kids. This happens at every school. Now, the kid has a bad attitude because they believe what their parents are telling them. I think if you guys want to rip someone then rip the administration or the school board. Coaches are hired mainly for football.

Most coaches at a 3A school have to coach other sports. Your right maybe they don't know basketball like someone else but they are told to coach a certain sport whether they like it or not. 3A schools cannot hire a speciality coach for each sport. If HF is like Orangefield, we don't have the tax base. You have to remember also that the freshmen team is usually split up. Some freshmen go to JV and some may even go to Varsity. So you can't expect a team if they won district as eight graders to do the same when they are freshmen because 9 out of 10 times it is not the same team. I agree with some of the comments but the freshmen year in high school is the hardest of them all. Teams get torn apart. But you know what? That has been going on forever. You just have to suck it up and keep going. That's life. Believe me I could tell you guys some stories. Orangefield is no different except we do not play volleyball during basketball at the varsity level and we do not play basketball during volleyball.

I have met and talked to the freshman coach several times and his heart is in the right place, I promise.

I know my words mean as little as everyone else's  who have commented in regard to this post but this has to be said. I feel very sad for the community of HF especially the kids. When individuals get on a forum and openly bash a program, an administration and MANY coaches as you have, shows such little class. How can you get on here and speculate as you have, about what you know nothing about. Were you there at every practice, were you there during every timeout? Were you at school everyday and in every coaching meeting to know why there is a change within the program happening at HF? If you were, tell us all why the Head Basketball Coach has been reassigned? Tell us why the boys basketball coach would be a poor candidate? Tells us all how bad an AD, Coach Mangan is and why and how he cares nothing about anything but football like ALL OTHER AD's. Even though the program has done nothing but improve this year especially in discipline. I know for one, I can guarantee you from my child's enthusiasm, that the HF program is in fine hands. And I personally saw him at more girls events this year than past AD's entire time, not a knock on him. I saw him personally coaching at softball practices and games. I feel for the first time some cares about girls sports at HF besides the female coaches. If someone get's reassigned or is relieved of duties, I can bet there is a very good reason. But there are many more valid reasons to keep coaches or get rid of coaches than their wins and losses. Sometimes it is simply philosophy, chemistry, role models, character, or compliance issues. But they are professionals and should be treated as such. If you have a problem with someone, go see them and discuss it in person. Allow them to respond to your comments. But I assure you if what I have seen in the last year is any indicaton, there will be many more positive changes to the HF Athletic Program under this administration. And frankly, its about time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder