Media

Guest GoStangs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no problem of local media making a profit in providing a service. If it doesn't make a profit it's either changed or cancelled.

I could be wrong but all the local channels, Gary over at KOGT, Port Arthur News, Orange Leader and Bmt Enterprise are not in the charity business. All have their niche, that's why they are still broadcasting and printing.

Do I want my school taxes used to pay media so our local football team could get more highlights? No.

Do I want my Head Coach accessable and selling the program? Yes

I really don't try to think about the business aspect, but I know that sometimes our shows might help get kids some attention from scouts. As far as money goes, a lot of the profit is spread out thought the entire television family, McKinnon Broadcasting has stations in Corpus Christi and San Diego besides Beaumont. The main thing for people to realize is that like most businesses the actual workers don't have much say in things like this. But I can tell you this it makes me feel good to hand over that Star Athlete certificate and see the smiles on the kids face then get calls from parents thanking me for covering their child.

Guest GoStangs

You all are overlooking a major issue, though, and that's businesses that air live games, sell special advertising spots for their broadcast, and resell the games at significantly marked-up prices. Those companies are making a large profit at marketing something that is given to them for free. Don't you think they should give something back?

Shly, no offense, but "our shows might help get kids some attention from scouts" is a bit far-fetched. I don't see how someone sitting at Notre Dame, for example, would ever see any of the local TV broadcasts. Do the local broadcasts even extend outside the Golden Triangle viewing area? Maybe Lake Charles could pick up local broadcasts, but I don't see them hitting many other college towns, and I doubt many (if any) college scouts would be sitting around the TV just hoping you guys will give them the scoop they've been looking for.

It''s not far fetched, things like that really happen, scouts or "friends of the programs" are everywhere, they might not analyze the tape but word gets out through these highlights sometimes it's just a name that sticks in someones head, no I'm not talking about USC or Notre Dame but 1AA schools sometimes. Also we've haven't shown any local high school games live in at least 20 years. Maybe a 1 minute hit during the Blitz tops and we've never sold any game. Another thing it's not free for us to cover anything, they must pay salaries, overtime for photogs, gas(which could kill us this year) and equipment. Cameras break all the time, they're not cheap to fix. I understand what your saying, but there really is not a large profit in doing these shows, they are there for the kids, family and fans to enjoy. Also all local stations sponser various events that help collect school supplies and try to give back to the community whenever they. Good Subject Though :thumbsup

Guest GoStangs

Also all local stations sponser various events that help collect school supplies and try to give back to the community...

I applaud your efforts! :)

Guest GoStangs

First, never trust what kicker writes or says -- especially when he backs it up by saying he was player of the week three or four times...

Second, never say you agree with him. Now all we're going to hear about is how he made a valid point -- and it won't end on this message board. He'll brag about it on the way to games, at post-game dinners, and will probably have his dad pass some kind of county-wide proclamation declaring it Kicker appreciation day or something.

I've said it before but I think the local media provides a service. You don't pay people for the right to provide them with a product.

Put the option to the schools, especially the players and their families and see what they say. They have two choices, they will have their names, highlights, coaches, etc on the news or have their games broadcast for everyone to see but nothing goes to the schools or they can stop the media from broacasting games but they then get no exposure. What do you think the choice would be? Are they are going to say "to heck with it, if they don't buy my school a couple of dozen footballs or some new shoes, I don't want my name in the paper"? I don't think so. The kids love the exposure, the families love to read about the kids or see them on TV and the fans in general love to read about the teams or watch the games. The free enterprise system is based on supply and demand. In this case, I think the demand is the exposure of the teams and players and the media meets it with the supply. I don't think the demand is to pay the schools so that the kids can get some exposure.

It is not the same for a money making business like pro football where they are obligated to make millions just to pay player salaries. They are in the business to make money, not so with high school football. How about the local stores that sell sports items such as t-shirts with our local teams. Do they give money back to the schools? That is nothing but direct profit, not a service. I have seen local shirts at Wal-Mart, Academy and other stores. Do they kick back money to the schools with their profit? Maybe they do but I doubt it.

In any case, how many games are sold for profit by the local media? When Friday Night Experience tries to put a game on the internet, I always hear them saying that they will broadcast the event "IF" then can get enough sponsors to pay for the broadcast. How much money are they making for putting the games on the internet that is free for anyone with internet?

:D But he has a point. If the media didn't talk about HS games and promote them' date=' then what? [b']I'm done with this dicussion.

Yeah, I think everyone has gotten their thoughts out at least a couple of times. This is one of the situations where they say, "we have to agree to disagree".

Guest GoStangs

TVC, I appreciate your angle, but I view it in a different light. I see the games as the service and people pay to watch or sponsor it. The media outlets that profit from those games without giving something back are merely getting something for nothing. Again, without the school's consent, they could not air live broadcasts, copyright, or even sell the replay of the games.

There is a bit of a difference between how the NFL and local high school broadcasts work. The NFL retains rights to the games, and large networks pay for the right to broadcast the games. There is an audience for both NFL and HS football, but the rights to profit are not retained by the UIL or local programs -- they merely give those rights to companies who wish to broadcast games. The news shows highlights, and as you pointed out in an earlier post, there is nothing preventing anyone from buying a ticket to issue a write-up of the game in the next day's paper. Yet, when people turn around and profit from the benevolence of schools who allow them to earn money by providing live broadcasts or selling replays of the game, I think an obligation exists to show gratitude in the manner of giving something back.

Shly said it earlier, and maybe it means something in this context: a lot of the local media companies do give back. Think about it -- there must be a reason why they feel it is important to return something to the community. It makes me wonder why some companies who turn profits after getting something for free don't feel the same way.

Guest GoStangs

Yeah, I think everyone has gotten their thoughts out at least a couple of times. This is one of the situations where they say, "we have to agree to disagree".

Agree -- I just wish I'd have read this post before making the earlier reply. :)

Really? Someone call Gasilla and tell him I actually made an educated post :lol::lol::lol:

Now' date=' back to trash talking :D[/quote']

If it's not prais for WOS, Gasilla can't even read it. :D Waiting your time there....trust me... :D

First' date=' never trust what kicker writes or says -- especially when he backs it up by saying he was player of the week three or four times...

Second, never say you agree with him. Now all we're going to hear about is how he made a valid point -- and it won't end on this message board. He'll brag about it on the way to games, at post-game dinners, and will probably have his dad pass some kind of county-wide proclamation declaring it Kicker appreciation day or something.[/quote']

Hmmmm?????? Kicker appreciation day........sounds good :D

GoStangs, you were once a kicker too my young friend, but with the attitude you have I will make sure you are blackballed from the yearly Orange County Kicker Day Appreciation of the REAL Football Players Banquet. :lol: or the OCKDARFPB for short. :lol:

Gas, You know my wife is from Deweyville and cant read or write. So she couldnt have wrote that post. :shock:

For the record, I have 4 player of the week awards. 8)

And 3 from College 8)

First all local tv cannot broadcast a UIL sporting event live. It is against the rules. Only exception is Fox that broadcast the championship games. They may go live after the game but no local tv station broadcast the whole game live. They pay big bucks to gain the rights for this. Second other groups are private companys and has to cover their costs. It is not live- it is tape delayed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder