Still Searching for a Coach...... Larry Neumann To La Marque?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Marque releases names of AD applicants

From staff reports

The Daily News

Published March 16, 2008

LA MARQUE — Nederland head coach Larry Neumann and former Santa Fe head coach Joe Krauskopf are among 34 applicants for the vacant athletic director and head football coach job at La Marque High School, according to a list sent by La Marque ISD on Saturday.

Neumann has been the head coach at a pretty stout Nederland program for 15 years.

Krauskopf, currently an assistant at Ball High, compiled a 38-53-2 record in his eight seasons as the Indians’ head coach. He led Santa Fe to its first two playoff appearances, in 2002 and 2005.

Bill Barron (Elsik), Lionell Crawford (Smiley), Mike Jackson (Chavez), Gary Mullins (Grapevine) and David Suggs (Nimitz) — all head football coaches at their respective schools — also applied.

Former La Marque football assistant coaches Phillip Mattingly (Port Arthur Memorial) and Carnell White (Nimitz) have tossed their names into the hat as well.

Former O’Connell head football coach Dimitri Gazelas also has applied for the job, along with Dickinson assistant Earl Ricicar, Ball High assistant Kenneth Foster and La Marque assistants Elliott Johnson and Earnest Lynch.

Former La Marque players Jonathan Cooper, a Ball High assistant, and Ryan Silvertooth, an assistant at Pearland Dawson, also have applied for the job.

La Marque is searching for a new athletic director and head football coach after Chris Jones resigned from those positions Feb. 15. He was hired by the school district on March 8, 2007, after an extensive search.

The Daily News filed a request Wednesday for the names of the applicants for the current vacancy, as well as the names of those on the hiring committee for the search.

+++

List Of Applicants For AD/head Coach Vacancy At LMHS

Name, School

Bill Barron, Elsik Claude L. Bassett, San Benito Jeffery Ceasar, Madison Jonathan Cooper, Ball High Lionell Crawford, Smiley Dwayne Dever, L.G. Pinkston Robert Ford, Texas (AAFL) Kenneth R. Foster, Ball High Dimitri Gazelas, Atascocita Chad Haynes, Bay. Sterling Daryl R. Hobbs, Mt. Carmel Mike Jackson, Chavez Elliott M. Johnson, La Marque Damian V. Judge, La Porte Richard Kattner, Pflugerville Connally Robin Kirk, St. Pius X Joe Krauskopf, Ball High John Launius, Trinity Valley CC Earnest Lynch, La Marque Jose Martinez, Brook. Royal Phillip Mattingly, Port Arthur Memorial Gary Mullins, Grapevine Bernie Mulvaney, Alief Taylor Larry Neumann, Nederland Levelle Norris, San Antonio Jay Robert D. Owens, Mansfield Timberview Danny Ramsey, Cy Creek Earl Recicar, Dickinson Aric Sardinea, Rowlett Ryan Silvertooth, Pearland Jason P. Strunk Muhlenberg (Pa.) College David Suggs, Nimitz Robert Toomer, Abbeville (La.) Carnell White, Nimitz

I'm kinda surprised he applied being here at Nederland so long.

he'd walk into a gold mine of talent, not to mention all that tradition. I bet he wants a ring.

He may want some more $

He's gone as far as he can with Nederland, which is saying alot.  He inherited an awful program and made a winner out of it.  I think Nederland's community support rivals LaMarque's, but the overall program will give him more to work with - better lower level programs, more speed, better skill position players, etc.  On the flip side, he'll be centered in a town that will be quick to turn on him if he doesn't make it to the state title game within two years.    

He's gone as far as he can with Nederland, which is saying alot.  He inherited an awful program and made a winner out of it.  I think Nederland's community support rivals LaMarque's, but the overall program will give him more to work with - better lower level programs, more speed, better skill position players, etc.  On the flip side, he'll be centered in a town that will be quick to turn on him if he doesn't make it to the state title game within two years.    

my thoughts exactly. I kinda hope he gets it.

LM needs one of their former players' to coach that team, a guy who knows the program and is familiar with the people there. If Neumann goes there and doesnt win state within 3 years he's outta there.

Hiring from within is not always the best thing. Nederland finally got a good coach when they hired Neumann from outside the district.

Guest ECBucFan

We all have heard of a "win-win" situation; this is a "lose-lose" situation. Nederland will rue the day they let Neumann go. Nobody, and I mean nobody has gotten more out of available talent than Neumann has done at Nederland. His teams are increadibly efficient, and teamwork is the driving factor in their sucess.

Conversely, LaMarque is star athlete oriented. The whole situation is different there, and quite frankly, Neumann will be a poor fit. As some have mentioned, the fans will turn on him quickly, perhaps some won't even give him chance to begin with. Marque' my words (pun intended).

Don't go Larry! There is no place like home...> N

We all have heard of a "win-win" situation; this is a "lose-lose" situation. Nederland will rue the day they let Neumann go. Nobody, and I mean nobody has gotten more out of available talent than Neumann has done at Nederland. His teams are increadibly efficient, and teamwork is the driving factor in their sucess.

Conversely, LaMarque is star athlete oriented. The whole situation is different there, and quite frankly, Neumann will be a poor fit. As some have mentioned, the fans will turn on him quickly, perhaps some won't even give him chance to begin with. Marque' my words (pun intended).

Don't go Larry! There is no place like home...> N

LM is not star athlete oriented. Name one "star athlete" that LM has depended on to carry it. LM has always been talent rich but the talent was spread across the team. There has never been one "star athlete" on any those teams. If one players goes out or down there is one waiting to take his place. The only difference between LM and Nederland is the talent.

This is a great position, but the margin of error is ZERO.

Don't win it all and quick and your strung up on a rope.

I would really think twice before taking this job.

It does give you the chance of winning state though.

Nothing against Nederland, but the odds of Nederland winning state before LaMarque are not that good.

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

I could be wrong but i don't see Coach Newmann taking this job, he knows what LaMarque demands and is a smart man. He may just be throwing his name out there, coaches do that.

If Nuemann were to get the job, there goes the Black Maab defensive from stellar to sissyfied.  David Suggs of Nimitz would be an excellent hire since y'all passed up on old boy from LC.....

Guest ECBucFan

If one players goes out or down there is one waiting to take his place. The only difference between LM and Nederland is the talent.

My point exactly. LM has, year in and year out, one of the most athletic teams in the state. LM thrives on athleticism, Nederland on teamwork and smarts. 

If Nuemann were to get the job, there goes the Black Maab defensive from stellar to sissyfied.  David Suggs of Nimitz would be an excellent hire since y'all passed up on old boy from LC.....

Suggs is a LM former coach. He coached under Weddell in the 90s....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin