Hardin-Jefferson 91' vs Hardin Jefferson 07'

Guest DickVitale

Dont think there is really much of a comparison here.  HJ 07 was a great team and a true state champion but the 91 Hawks are possibly the greatest 3A team in the history of Texas High School Basketball.  This team averaged over 100 points a game and put up 165 in a game.  They were 10 deep that could start anywhere in the state on the 3A level.  Great topic Dickie V.  I would like to see this with some other schools as well.  HJ's only loss that year was to a 4A team in which they played possibly their worst game all year.

Guest DickVitale

Spoken like a TRUE 91' Hawk!!! :D :D....That was a VERY good team, and yes quite possibly one of the best Texas 3A Champions ever....quite possibly...Let me go to the old BDI (Bald Dome Index) and think about some other teams for a minute... ;)

Guest DickVitale

I graduated from HJ in 91 and I agree that there is no comparison!!!!  Better at every position and much deeper tahn this 07-08 team.  The 91 team would run circles around this current HJ team.  Ask Sutherland....he coached both teams!!!!  But ask him after the season is over...I would hate for him to hurt the current teams feelings!!! ;D

No, No, not THIS years team, LAST years state title team (06-07)..Could anyone on that 91 team stop Donahoe?? (Look yall, I just started something!!  ;D)

I have to say the 91 team was really good.  My brother played against that team and gave them alot to handle.  That Tarkington team played pretty good against them but in the end the rebounding of the twins was to much to overcome.  I believe both games were pretty close and competitive.  Maybe within 10 points both games.  I can't really remember but Tarkington was the only team to really put up any fight at all in that district.

Guest nostradamus

GREAT TOPIC!

The '91 team came back and played the '98 team in a fundraising game and smoked them by 20, SEVEN YEARS AFTER GRADUATION.

The '91 team had three DI seniors that started with a front line of 6'4" 6'6" and 6'7" and went 8 deep with no drop off at all.

It wouldn't have been about Donahoe and who could stop him.  Both teams played the exact same defense and offense. 

Trust me.  '91 by 15+ ;)

If you remember the debate that was sparked when the Postal service issued the Elvis stamps ... it was old elvis vs. young elvis...

Young Sutherland vs. Old Sutherland...

Also, young davis could not play his coaching duties would trump playing... also Nolte would not be able to play... as he would have to be the administrator on duty.

Assuming Sutherland coaches both squads... here is my take.  a tie.  128-128. 

This would set up a money making opportunity with the rematch to be played at the Montaigne Center ... hahah

That 91 team was something else... i remember going to watch them.  i was young then, but i can still remember how good (and how tall) they were.  they would win easily against last year's hawk team.  they had size all over the place, shooters who never seemed to go cold, and a point guard who could really distribute.  I remember a game where an opponent held them under 100 and basically celebrated at midcourt, even though they'd just lost by 40 or 50. 

91 team- 94

07 team- 78

This was a pretty good topic :)

The problem with most  of the really good 3A teams today is they have one of everything.  When I say that I mean...................One good big man.........One good post man............One good shooter who can get the shot off quick...........and so on and so forth.  This team had 4 guys who could shoot the 3 and were pure shooters and could release it quick.  The 2 best big men in the entire state.  One of the best defensive power forwards in the state.  The best point gaurd in the state.  It was amazing.  They had so much depth that it did not matter who was in the game.  In case you guys did not know.  To make this team..........you had to complete a 13 mile run at the seasons beginning.  THEY WOULD RUN A TEAM THAT WAS 7 or 8 DEEP TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest DickVitale

The problem with most  of the really good 3A teams today is they have one of everything.  When I say that I mean...................One good big man.........One good post man............One good shooter who can get the shot off quick...........and so on and so forth.  This team had 4 guys who could shoot the 3 and were pure shooters and could release it quick.  The 2 best big men in the entire state.  One of the best defensive power forwards in the state.  The best point gaurd in the state.  It was amazing.  They had so much depth that it did not matter who was in the game.  In case you guys did not know.  To make this team..........you had to complete a 13 mile run at the seasons beginning.  THEY WOULD RUN A TEAM THAT WAS 7 or 8 DEEP TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLD ON THERE, COWBOY....Hardin Jefferson had two solid post men but they WERE NOT the BEST in the state...Maybe on the 3A level, but NOT the best in Texas...IN 91, PA Lincoln had Xavier Henton in the post who was definitely better than both of those guys and they also won the 4A title that year...Lets not even go into Houston...I played on a Madison sqaud (my Jr. year) that boasted 2- 6'8+ post players that were pretty darn salty in Otis Koontz (soph that year) and Tony Chime.  Shannon and Gene both played against us in Houston in the BCI invitational only summer league and did well...But, they were NOT the BEST in Texas..by far...Maybe 3A and under..

well heck- it wouldnt be hard at all to arrange this game. half of the team is now the HJ administration. but coach davis prob. wouldnt play this game. Payne is just to much to handle. and yall forgot ONE little thing-

THE HECKLERS WOULD ABSOLUTELY DESTROY THE 91 TEAM. They wouldn't know what was going on.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder