need tips on training a lab to duck hunt

Guest beat-em_deep

Save your money on all the Richard Wolters books, I'm not saying their no good just lots better on the market now. I would highly recommend  'Hey Pup Fetch it Up' by Bill Tarrant, this book is unlike the Water Dog books as its about 500pgs v/s 100 in the Wolters books. This book will take you from puppy to adult with a section on force training. I dought you will find this book on any shelves at your local book store and most probabally have to order from Books a Million or such. Whatever you choose remember when his tails a waggn he enjoying what your teaching, when it stops, you stop, remember you have to keep it fun for the dog. My dog will drop a bloody T-bone to fetch a dummy.

643  what does your dog do when he fetches you!!! Just kidding. Made me think of my old dog, you could put a biscuit on his nose and he would hold it, then throw the dummy into the pond and give him the go , he would drop the biscuit hit the water and bring the dummy to heel, the whole time looking over at the biscuit. He usually got two biscuits after that!!!!!!!! Those were great times!!! Never could replace him...

• 1 month later...

i just got a yellow lab she is 6 weeks anyone have any tips on training her to go get ducks /dove ?????

I found that the best way to train my lab was to open up a box of cheese itz next to the dummy duck..and tell him to go and get the tastiest choice and i want to say that 40% of the time it worked every other time..trust me i did the math on my cell phone..a great way to train cold blooded huntin [move]lab![/move]

• 6 months later...

hey dude i got a yellow lab about 6 months ago and i just worked with her every day... i bought the water dog book and just worked with her alot cuz the more you have a bond with your dog the better they will work for you and not the people that trained them you know...and she is around 6 months old now and she is already gettin my downed dove and ducks the best thing you can do is train your own dog..and you can save money

• 3 weeks later...

commander aint lyin, do it yourself, get the dog "birdy" early, shoot a gun around it early, work on basic obiedience skills sit,stay,here,heel, and laydown,...i got a two year old Fox Red lab ive had for 2 months now and he had no intrest in retrieving a duck/ball/chew toy/nothin....and just by reppitition and about an hour a day or so and alot of praise, he is startin to get the swing of things...youve just gotta build a bond with him/her and its a long slow process, and patience is key......good luck man

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder