favorite player from setx....... ever

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bulldogbark

I would have to say from Jasper it would be James Hadnot, played for Jasper from 73-76 then play for Texas Tech then went on to play for the KC Chiefs

Guest bulldogbark

and ETBU as coach of the year who will take the tallent of gostang, Coop, kicker Jdawg, bullbog and womustang and coach us to a winning season :D :shock:

this is a tough one.....do you go off of just the hs career?..or college?...or pro?

Kevin Smith was probably the best pro that I know of...Zach Bronson from Jasper could also be put in that list...he made the pro bowl at least once that I know of

Wooster from BC could be put on the list....

and I wouldnt hesitate to put Jamaal Charles and Kenneth Beasley on there just based off of HS careers...also Toddrick Pendland had a great career at Newton

Guest GoStangs

My favorite to watch was Brian Cleveland, WOS RB. He just made the game look easy, and everytime he touched the ball, you just knew something exciting was going to happen. Heck, he could make a one-yard run into a highlight reel...

Of my teammates, Kevin Smith was awesome, no doubt, but Quentin Tezeno was equally amazing. I've seen few people who could intimidate opposing players like he did. He also had this unbeatable attitude -- he was good, and he knew it.

Kenneth Beasley is probably the truest athlete I've seen on the field, bar none. He is just a natural, and watching him last year was unbelievable.

ETBU, brotha man, thanks for drafting me. You just "platoon us" and we will ride your playbook to the Title. We are interchangeable. Just for "kicks", Gostangs can be the Team Captain.....

Griff mentions Wallace. When I went home for my niece's graduation from Bridge City, I drove by Wallace and stopped right in front of it. Brought back some memories. I went to 3rd and 4th grade there. I looked up to one of the 2cnd story windows where my 4th grade teacher was. I remember the first time I ever walked into the gym - they still had some championship trophies and pictures in cases. It was a "memorial" sort-of. No doubt, I would have loved to have seen them play. Mr Johnny Riggs (Turk's grandpa) used to tell me all about it when I was his MLB on the Anderson Fighting Irish. He is still one of my favorite childhood role models.......

Like Gostangs, Brian Cleveland will quickly come to my mind when choosing someone I loved to watch. What a motor 'ole #35 had.......

John Elliott from Warren Texas.Most posters may have never heard of him.Played for Warren in the 60,s,went to UT and started on a national champion defense and later was a starter for the NY Jets in the famous Joe Namath Super Bowl.In high school he was the most brutal running back I ever saw.He played defensive tackle at UT and for the Jets.

When I see the title "favorite player", I think of a player that someone has seen a number of times and was their favorite to watch. In most cases, I would think that a favorite player to watch would be a home town player, not necessarily the player that made it to the highest level in sports from the area or who was the most famouse. Although there are many great pro players from our area, how many have gone on to the Hall of Fame like Bubba Smith? The only problem is, I never saw Bubba Smith play so he was not my favorite player to watch.

With that in mind, I am from Nederland and watched almost every one of their games for the last 40 years. The two players that I really looked forward to seeing were Sean Yoder and Ryan Butler. Both were candidates for the Willie Ray Smith Award and Yoder won it. There are certainly many other great players that went on to loftier careers after they left high school football. They were just not my favorite players to watch since I never saw most of them unless they played Nederland and then only for one, maybe two games. For my enjoyment, those are two players that I looked forward to each week as being dominant on the field in many ways.

Guest bulldogbark

I dont know about ever, but in the modern era I sure did enjoy watching Sean Weatherspoon play football for Jasper, talk about somebody who taught us what an all around player and student should look like and act. He was a class act on and off the field.

Guest bulldogbark

your right I should of not left Red out, being a great football player is one thing but being a great football player and a great role model is something we see very few of....both these players seemed to always have a smile on their face and a helping hand to anybody who needed their help...and there are many in our East Texas communities...I wish we could have more of these young men around....I have always been proud at the way the Jasper players and fans (most of the times) represent our community....it says alot about our parents out there and our coaches....may we see more of these types of players in the future :D

Tim McKyer from Lincoln or Mickey Washington from WB(personal friends)

But a sentimental vote goes to Chris Reed from SFA. Dumb as a sack of rocks but was 6' 5", 270. 4.5 40 and anchored SFA's 4x100 relay. Was cut by the Vikings and Green Bay after playing only 1 season of JUCO ball....

Guest etbu

Two of my favorite players over this way were Tony Bua sp and Reggie White from Liberty. Toney was a rb and db and Reggie was a really good running back. In the Houston are running back Damion Vallerie from Aldine Mac and Gerlad Moore from Yates were not bad either. More than one sorry.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder