favorite player from setx....... ever

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Bud Hebert from South Park High School!! PLayed his college ball at Oklahoma and then went on to play a year or two at the New York Giants. He still holds the record for most interceptions in the Orange Bowl!! He is one of the nicest guys I ever met. He even came to my birthday party when I turned 5.( 1975)

I have to go with who I was able to watch. Dustin Hood was as accurate a passer as I have seen. He was a good kid, kept his grades up, and performed week after week at a top level. He was my favorite.

After Hood, I have to go with Beasley, who was just plain amazing, and Dustin Long, who should probably be in the NFL, but that's the breaks.

Another homer pick. Of course, those are the guys I saw. But I bet you WOS and PNG guys remember Ben Bronson, QB at Jasper in the late 80's, early 90's. Paraphrasing a quote from Coach Hooks. You spend a day preparing to play the Jasper team, and the rest of the week trying to figure out a way to contain Bronson. I only saw him play once, against PNG. Once, I saw him surrouded in the backfield, with no blockers, by 3 PNG guys. Bronson retreated, circled the field, and in a instant seemed to be standing some 30 yards away from anyone, still searching for a receiver downfield. Then he let it zip into the end zone for a good 40-50 yard pass in the air for a TD. I think in his 3 years at QB he either ran or passed for way over half of the Jasper scores.

Any of you guys from other teams remember him?

When I was in 7th grade at OF , I remember Anthony Byrley ( spelling???) at Newton . He was a great RB and Newton played OF in the playoffs at Lamar and he and OF'S Tommy Peevey both had great games. Newton won 28-21 . AB went on to Texas and played some but had knee problems.

• 6 months later...

Another homer pick.  Of course, those are the guys I saw.  But I bet you WOS and PNG guys remember Ben Bronson, QB at Jasper in the late 80's, early 90's.  Paraphrasing a quote from Coach Hooks.  You spend a day preparing to play the Jasper team, and the rest of the week trying to figure out a way to contain Bronson.  I only saw him play once, against PNG.  Once, I saw him surrouded in the backfield, with no blockers, by 3 PNG guys.  Bronson retreated, circled the field, and in a instant seemed to be standing some 30 yards away from anyone, still searching for a receiver downfield.  Then he let it zip into the end zone for a good 40-50 yard pass in the air for a TD.  I think in his 3 years at QB he either ran or passed for way over half of the Jasper scores.

Any of you guys from other teams remember him?

Ben was a pretty good friend of mine for quite a few years growing up and you're right. He always had that "it" factor and was probably the best pure athlete in Jasper during an era that produced several players that had at least a cup o' coffee in the NFL (Ben and Zack Bronson, John and Terence Davis). A lot of people thought that baseball was his best sport, but he was also a standout in basketball and track. I think the only thing that held him back in pro football was his size. He was probably 5'10" in an era that big receivers were en vogue in the NFL. I don't know how he compares to Ricky Mitchell or Gilbert Moye, who have shined in Jasper's recent run of success, but he was pretty special in a Bulldog uniform.

jasper has had some great football players.  i miss those days in the 80's when the stangs and the dogs got together.  you talk about 2 tough teams.  those games were brutal, and the players in those games are legendary.  jasper had Chris Hunt, and James Bevil.  Wos had Kevin Smith, and Quinton Tezeno just to name a few. 

Guest Eagle73

Newton also produced Jimmy Walker. He went on to Texas and played for Darrell Royal. Was asked to stay and Coach for Akers, but declined. Drove all the way back to Austin from Newton and met with Akers about not playing Anthony Byerly more. Great all around athelete. Football, basketball, baseball, track, dodge ball, tiddly winks, you name it! Super guy. Graduated from Newton in '73.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder