More Lamar Trivia (football)

Lucky

With all this talk about Football coming back, can anyone tell me who was responsible for pulling the plug the first time ?

I only remember that it was the worst timing EVER !  The Cards were having one of their best seasons and had only a few games left when the announcement was made.

I do support Lamar and would like to see football again...so long as it is handled the right way !

Guest abovetherim

Lamar chancellor George McLaughlin and president Billy Franklin were the men most responsible. Of course, a local media guy writing several articles recommending Lamar dropping football didn't help.

Their plan was to take "all that money" they would save by not having a football team and really pump up the basketball program bigtime.

The "local media guy" and the other two were to busy focusing on the cost of having a program and didn't see the true cost of not having one.  Enrollment dropped by about 2 thousand over the next three years.  I think it's finally back to where it was in the late 80's and I think will keep growing.

Guest abovetherim

Their plan was to take "all that money" they would save by not having a football team and really pump up the basketball program bigtime.

The "local media guy" and the other two were to busy focusing on the cost of having a program and didn't see the true cost of not having one.  Enrollment dropped by about 2 thousand over the next three years.  I think it's finally back to where it was in the late 80's and I think will keep growing.

smith, you are 100% correct!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin