Texas high school association drops Rocket as speaker

Guest Orangeboy

Guest Orangeboy

Roger Clemens' inclusion in the Mitchell report sent shock waves through Major League Baseball, and the pitcher's popularity in his home state of Texas appears to be taking a hit.

Olney on Mike & Mike

Buster says Roger Clemens will pay a heavy price for being named in the Mitchell report, including the possibility of not being voted into the Hall of Fame. 

The Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association said it has removed Clemens as the keynote speaker at its state convention next month, the Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site Monday.

The association's officers spent the weekend reviewing the matter before concluding that Clemens, a 354-game winner over a major league career that began in 1984, "was an inappropriate influencer to baseball coaches and students alike."

Clemens, who pitched for the University of Texas and came out of retirement after the 2003 season to pitch the next three seasons for the Houston Astros, was slated to be the convention's keynote speaker on Jan. 12, with the topic being "my vigorous workout, how I played so long [in professional baseball]," according to the Chronicle.

The right-hander, who pitched for the New York Yankees last season, was the biggest name linked by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to illegal use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs. Mitchell's report was released Thursday.

Clemens, long thought to be the greatest pitcher of his era, is a winner of seven Cy Young Awards, eighth all-time in victories and a former MVP who has been considered a lock for the Hall of Fame. Since Thursday, whether he is deserving of the Hall of Fame has generated passionate debate.

At 45, Clemens has not said whether he hopes to pitch next season. Through his attorney, Rusty Hardin, Clemens denied he used performance-enhancing drugs.

" ... I respectfully suggest it is very unfair to include Roger's name in this report," Hardin said last week in a statement. "He is left with no meaningful way to combat what he strongly contends are totally false allegations. He has not been charged with anything, he will not be charged with anything and yet he is being tried in the court of public opinion with no recourse. That is totally wrong."

I think it's a great move on the association's part. What is odd is the statement "sent shock waves thru MLB". Clemen's name has been brought up repeatedly as a suspected user. Wasn't any shock with me. What is even less shocking is that Roger has hired an attorney and will deny it all.

Guest Orangeboy

I also think it was a great move by the coaches. Their job is to influence young men in a positive way. And having someone linked to steroids speak at their convention wouldn't set the kind of example that they need to be setting for their young athletes.

All of you are idiots.  Just because something is said about someone does not mean he is guilty.  To remove him from speaking at the convention is premature to say the least.  I know one of the Astros pitchers personaly and he told me what Clemens does in his workouts.  So until any of you or any politicians have first hand knowledge of something or someone just shut the hell up!

Yes, I'm an idiot...you got me. Not.

I also know people in the Astros system.

Tell you what..you believe what you want to believe and we will believe what we want to believe.

Many people did not believe Petite would use..Guess what, he admitted it.

I guess you still think Canseco is a liar.  ::)

By the way, I would not be surprised if Roger removed himself  from the convention.

Get your head out of the sand and get out more.

Guest Orangeboy

All of you are idiots.  Just because something is said about someone does not mean he is guilty.  To remove him from speaking at the convention is premature to say the least.  I know one of the Astros pitchers personaly and he told me what Clemens does in his workouts.  So until any of you or any politicians have first hand knowledge of something or someone just shut the heck up!

:'( :'( :'(

Daddy he made me cry!!!

All of you are idiots.  Just because something is said about someone does not mean he is guilty.  To remove him from speaking at the convention is premature to say the least.  I know one of the Astros pitchers personaly and he told me what Clemens does in his workouts.  So until any of you or any politicians have first hand knowledge of something or someone just shut the heck up!

Hey Clone since you know so many players tell Saint Benedict McLain to get us some pitching.

PS Big Rog is a SCHMUCK.

First let me start by saying I am 100% against steriod use. I hate that Major League Baseball has come to this point. But before we all go and grill Roger for it think about this first. Is "The Rocket" guilty of using these drugs, probably.  Is he wrong for doing it YES. But so is every owner, every coach, every sports writer, and every fan that whatched a single game durning this era. The Owners knew the players were using, but did they care? No, they were finally putting people back in the seats after the strike year. Every steroid aided Homerun, every steriod aided pitch, and every steriod aided catch was dollar signs in the eyes of the owners. Even our President knew( he was the owner of the Rangers for awhile during this time). Every coach knew what was going on. When you are around those athletes everyday and they just get huge all of the sudden and hit 20 more homeruns than they ever have, You know whats going on. The sports writers knew but they didn't care because it was selling papers and adds on ESPN and Fox Sports. Then There is the Fan. We are the biggest hypocrites of all. We went to the games, We knew, Give yourself some credit. We are not stupid. As long as our team was doing well we didn't care. We knew and went and ignored it like everyone else. We are just as much to blame as the players who used them. If you don't think so just think about how many games you went to where you said "Yeah That player has to be on Steriods" but you went anyway. What message is that sending to your own kids? Blame Roger if you want. Blame MLB if you want. Blame the sports writers, or the owner if you want. But if you do, dont forget to put some of that blame right back on yourself. Yeah you didn't put a gun to their head and make them take steriods, but you did help them buy them with you ticket money.

First let me start by saying I am 100% against steriod use. I hate that Major League Baseball has come to this point. But before we all go and grill Roger for it think about this first. Is "The Rocket" guilty of using these drugs, probably.  Is he wrong for doing it YES. But so is every owner, every coach, every sports writer, and every fan that whatched a single game durning this era. The Owners knew the players were using, but did they care? No, they were finally putting people back in the seats after the strike year. Every steroid aided Homerun, every steriod aided pitch, and every steriod aided catch was dollar signs in the eyes of the owners. Even our President knew( he was the owner of the Rangers for awhile during this time). Every coach knew what was going on. When you are around those athletes everyday and they just get huge all of the sudden and hit 20 more homeruns than they ever have, You know whats going on. The sports writers knew but they didn't care because it was selling papers and adds on ESPN and Fox Sports. Then There is the Fan. We are the biggest hypocrites of all. We went to the games, We knew, Give yourself some credit. We are not stupid. As long as our team was doing well we didn't care. We knew and went and ignored it like everyone else. We are just as much to blame as the players who used them. If you don't think so just think about how many games you went to where you said "Yeah That player has to be on Steriods" but you went anyway. What message is that sending to your own kids? Blame Roger if you want. Blame MLB if you want. Blame the sports writers, or the owner if you want. But if you do, dont forget to put some of that blame right back on yourself. Yeah you didn't put a gun to their head and make them take steriods, but you did help them buy them with you ticket money.

Yeah what he said...

8)

Sorry, I accept zero blame for any MLB player taking steroids.  But I will say I was nieve to say the least.  I pretty much knew Bonds and the sort, but had no idea Petite would have done so.  When Petite came forward, it validified the report to me.  Sorry wiz, Rog is probably guilty, and guess what, it's not my fault.

Major League Baseball is in a state of Turmoil right now in my opinion.

I agree..all of the blame is on MLB...for turning and looking the other way for so long. It was all about the money. MLB was in a mess with strikes, financially, etc. Maquire? w/ his Andro and Sammy with his corked bat and what ever else saved MLB. So they looked away.

How can MLB absorb all the heat if the players were the ones shooting up? Why should not Roger C take some heat if he made over one hundred million dollars and he is innocent? Yea right. The more players that come out will validate the Mitchell report. They broke the rules and have tainted a wonderful game and all their records shoud be out the window. USA Today ran a survey today and forty nine percent polled voted  none of these chaps should be in the Hall.

Has football suffered with murders and suspensions?. What about basketball with it's brawls, sexual harrasment and referres gambling?

Baseball will survive and flourish, as far as the players they made their bed, now lie in it.

From the words of the great Ernie Banks   "Let's play two"

Your right and it will survive and it is a wonderful game and reason people are upset is bc the records are sacred.

Has football suffered with murders and suspensions?. What about basketball with it's brawls, sexual harrasment and referres gambling?

Baseball will survive and flourish, as far as the players they made their bed, now lie in it.

From the words of the great Ernie Banks   "Let's play two"

You make baseball out to be the golden child of sports here. The murders, brawls, sexual harassment, and GAMBLING are no more widespread in other sports than in baseball. If you see these incidents as the face of football and basketball, you are sadly mistaken. However, STEROIDS is the face of baseball. Why? Because they chose to make it so. Know this is just an opinion, but how many roid monsters do you think there are in football and basketball and for crying out loud wrestling!? My guess is just as many. The only difference is that those cases have not been investigated and probably never will. Baseball fans need not run to the streets and burn their balls...just sit tight and the crackdown will be over with. This is the transition from the STEROID ERA to the new era the ROID SCARE (red scare if ya'll catch it). But then again there will always be that change hangin' over the players, temptation.......

8)

You make baseball out to be the golden child of sports here. The murders, brawls, sexual harassment, and GAMBLING are no more widespread in other sports than in baseball. If you see these incidents as the face of football and basketball, you are sadly mistaken. However, STEROIDS is the face of baseball. Why? Because they chose to make it so. Know this is just an opinion, but how many roid monsters do you think there are in football and basketball and for crying out loud wrestling!? My guess is just as many. The only difference is that those cases have not been investigated and probably never will. Baseball fans need not run to the streets and burn their balls...just sit tight and the crackdown will be over with. This is the transition from the STEROID ERA to the new era the ROID SCARE (red scare if ya'll catch it). But then again there will always be that change hangin' over the players, temptation.......

8)

If you run in the street and "burn your ball" please get someone without the matches to take that picture.  I bet you would get some Karma points for that....... ;D ;D ;D

I rather go watch BH and Huffman play than go to a pro game.  ;D

If you think that game would be steroid free you should probably think again.  I played highschool baseball in this area 5 years ago and there were guys taking it then im sure it is still going on. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin