Who Would Coach the Lamar Football Team?

who do you think they would offer a coaching job too if Lamar does revive it's football program?

Dan R. Hooks from West-Orange Stark sounds like it could be a possibility.

No high school coach will be named the next head coach at Lamar, trust me. Now there will be some high school coaches hired to be assistants.

Dan Hooks will not leave WOS to be an assistant at Lamar.

Guest abovetherim

Mike Long

Great coach but I doubt he is the next HC of Lamar University. Again, nothing against him as a coach or any HS coach you name. Hooks, Long, Stump, Thompson, Barbay, Neumann, or any other SE Texas head coach you name will not be the next Head Coach at Lamar University.

Again, it is not that these men are not qualified to do the job. They are all great coaches but Lamar is spending at least $25 million just to get the program off the ground. They'll have to start another women's program due to Title IX which will cost about $5 million if it's softball because they'll have to build a stadium and it's not going to be a eyesore. If Lamar starts softball, I promise you they'll build the best stadium is the SLC. They have plans to build a soccer field. Personally, I'd like them to build a combination Soccer/Track facility and use the space where Ty Terrell sits for some much needed additional parking. Remember they expect another 2,000 students overnight once football returns. I know the space near the Shelia Umphrey Rec. Center has the land needed for an addition 400 parking spaces.

We're talking big dollars here and a big name college OC, DC or current or former college Head Coach is what is needed to get the people with big money to open their checkbooks and offer up some huge donations to have this happen.

That money is needed to kick-start the programs build new facilities, buy new athletic equipments. So, now we get to the student votes. The additional sports and you can add soccer since we now need a new head coach are 1. Football. 2. Soccer. 3. Probably softball. Then there is the marching band and believe me Dr. Simmons will not put out a band that isn't first class. This will cost money. We haven't even got to the scholarships yet.

That is the reason the student body passing the sports fee is so important. This money will assist with the yearly budget of all the above mentioned activities. Now, if it doesn't pass I don't see football returning. This is where it is vital the administration informs the students of all the benefits these programs will bring to the university. I know it may not help out each individual student to have to pay additonal fees but they will probably know someone, be related to someone or in the future have a child these new programs will be able to assist.

You have to look at the big picture here. Will all the athletes be from SE Texas? No, but some will. Will the band members, twirlers or cheerleaders all be from SE Texas? No, but a large percentage of them will be.

So, I'm not going to think of the benefits to Lamar University or how my probably $80-120 in student fees could be thought of as a civic benefit. I'll think selfishly, I wasn't a great athlete but my brother was. Will my spending $400 dollars if I go to school year round and at the most probably $1,600 over the four years it takes to obtain my degree possibly save my family over $10,000 a year for an athletic scolarship for my brother. It could be your brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, neice or nephew. It could be your future boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife the addition of these program will assist financially. I hope everyone who votes looks at all the possibilities before making their final decision. It will have a major impact on someone you know, love and care for if not yourself.   

Guest FPHS 78

Great coach but I doubt he is the next HC of Lamar University. Again, nothing against him as a coach or any HS coach you name. Hooks, Long, Stump, Thompson, Barbay, Neumann, or any other SE Texas head coach you name will not be the next Head Coach at Lamar University.

they need a guy with college head coaching experience...and not rc  , you'd start off a program split in half...1/2 se texans hate the ags, other half loves em.

Above the Rim you are correct. If we are going to do it right, he has to be a college head coach or an up and coming OC or DC who understands the game and even more important, knows how to recruit. Hooks, Barbay, Stump etc. would be a disaster.....We have to pay the money to someone who is proven at the university level, not a high school coach.....Folks, I am still not gung ho about this Lamar football, but if it comes to be, let's do it right.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder