Road to Omaha 2023

42 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

But it’s like adding Kentucky to the ACC or Big 12 in basketball or Ohio St to the SEC in football.  No matter how good the league is, those additions significantly move the needle.  Except in basketball, you have Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and Duke and then everyone else. In baseball, USC obviously have the most titles but in the last 30-40 years, it’s Texas and LSU and then everyone else (in terms of nosebleed blue bloods). 

Just for the sake of a fun discussion. SEC baseball very well may be the most dominant conference of all NCAA D-1 sports.  Texas has a resume that is one of the tops in all of college baseball, but to claim its them and LSU everyone else is a stretch.   

Not an SEC school, but Stanford could argue they have had a better past 3 to 4 decades than Texas. 2 titles and 3 runner up finishes. 

Miami has 4 titles and 2 runner up finishes with near identical CWS appearances as Texas over the past 40. 

15 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Just for the sake of a fun discussion. SEC baseball very well may be the most dominant conference of all NCAA D-1 sports.  Texas has a resume that is one of the tops in all of college baseball, but to claim its them and LSU everyone else is a stretch.   

Not an SEC school, but Stanford could argue they have had a better past 3 to 4 decades than Texas. 4 titles and 3 runner up finishes. 

In the last 4 decades, Texas has 3 titles, 5 runner ups and 18 CWS appearances.  And for accuracy sake, Stanford only has 2 nattys period (both in 80s) and 3 runner ups period.   Texas has 6 and 6.  Stanford has a great history but they ain’t Texas.  

3 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

But to give the Cardinal their due, they are the only school in the country that consistently has a better overall athletics department than Texas.  So there is that. (Although recently Texas has gotten the best of them. 

When you have men's volleyball and field water polo teams you have an advantage before you even start competing for top overall program. Stanford has around 10 programs more than Texas.  The fact Texas has won the Directors Cup is impressive. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

But it’s like adding Kentucky to the ACC or Big 12 in basketball or Ohio St to the SEC in football.  No matter how good the league is, those additions significantly move the needle.  Except in basketball, you have Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and Duke and then everyone else. In baseball, USC obviously have the most titles but in the last 30-40 years, it’s Texas and LSU and then everyone else (in terms of nosebleed blue bloods). 

I was just stating that the common occurrence is already happening without tu in the conference.

I honestly think you will see more impact in the basketball spectrum with the addition of the horns in the SEC.

1 hour ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

If I just read things correctly, the SEC has had a team in the CWS final every year but 1 since 2008 and 4 times the finalist were both SEC schools.  I knew the conference was dominant, but that's just ridiculous.  

So 15 of the last 16 seasons an SEC school has played for the Natty and 4 of those times both schools were SEC. Like I stated, it's already a common occurrence without tu.

But the additions will enhance it.

14 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

If I just read things correctly, the SEC has had a team in the CWS final every year but 1 since 2008 and 4 times the finalist were both SEC schools.  I knew the conference was dominant, but that's just ridiculous.  

No argument here about SEC  baseball being the gold standard and I would agree with you (at least I think you would agree) that the SEC has been more dominant in baseball than football.  Just stating when you add arguably the bluest blood in the country in baseball, the rich get even richer.  

38 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

No argument here about SEC  baseball being the gold standard and I would agree with you (at least I think you would agree) that the SEC has been more dominant in baseball than football.  Just stating when you add arguably the bluest blood in the country in baseball, the rich get even richer.  

Yep, more dominant in baseball than football.  Almost laughable.  It's as though SEC baseball says we kick butt even better than you kick butt. 

Just some useless talk here.  With our discussion of the SEC dominance, they along with the ACC, BIG 12, and PAC 12 have a weather advantage over the BIG 10.  Not completely eliminating, but having the BIG 10 disadvantaged doesn't hurt.  The other big conferences just haven't performed nor apparently placed the emphasis the SEC has.  Yes, there have been good teams and several champions from those conferences, but top to bottom they don't compare to the SEC.  

Side note....From a Southeastern US perspective the Sunbelt has, at least in my eyes, started to surpass or at least caught the Big West in quality programs as well.  

20 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Just some useless talk here.  With our discussion of the SEC dominance, they along with the ACC, BIG 12, and PAC 12 have a weather advantage over the BIG 10.  Not completely eliminating, but having the BIG 10 disadvantaged doesn't hurt.  The other big conferences just haven't performed nor apparently placed the emphasis the SEC has.  Yes, there have been good teams and several champions from those conferences, but top to bottom they don't compare to the SEC.  

Side note....From a Southeastern US perspective the Sunbelt has, at least in my eyes, started to surpass or at least caught the Big West in quality programs as well.  

The weather is a big advantage, also the fan support.  Arkansas, La, Mississippi, Alabama, Carolina all have no pro baseball.  If you are a baseball fan in those states, you follow college baseball and the attendance numbers show this.   The SEC is pulling the best players from the West coast to come play in the South in front of 10,000+ fans.  Stanford averages 1,600 at their games and most of the west coast teams are less than that.  The SEC spends money on baseball where as most don’t.  

The SEC Network has also helped with every game being on TV.  Not too long ago, A&M would only have a handful of games that i could watch.  Now every single game outside of a few tourney games is on TV for free.