Hardin-Jefferson 51 vs. Silsbee 62/FINAL

The Hawks had the perfect game plan in this one. I had said in an earlier post to keep the game in the 50-60 point range and control the tempo to give themselves a shot, which they did. I think they won the battle of the boards. At the end of the day the 24 turnovers were the difference in this one and that’s a credit to Silsbee’s 3/4 court defense. Gotta tip your cap to both coaches last night. Clay did everything he could to give his group a chance and Sigler spreading the floor at the 5:00 minute mark of the 4th cemented the win. Good ballgame, great season Hawks and Good luck Tigers!!

58 minutes ago, whsalum said:

The Hawks had the perfect game plan in this one. I had said in an earlier post to keep the game in the 50-60 point range and control the tempo to give themselves a shot, which they did. I think they won the battle of the boards. At the end of the day the 24 turnovers were the difference in this one and that’s a credit to Silsbee’s 3/4 court defense. Gotta tip your cap to both coaches last night. Clay did everything he could to give his group a chance and Sigler spreading the floor at the 5:00 minute mark of the 4th cemented the win. Good ballgame, great season Hawks and Good luck Tigers!!

Yes indeed.  When I saw they had 13 turnovers and were only down 6 at half, my thought was “only being down 6 giving it up that many times is almost shocking.”  And if they could clean that up in the 2nd half they had a real shot.  But as you say, a lot of that has to do with that Tiger defense.  Still, a great job by Clay and staff preparing them, and a great season by the Hawks.  Now we can all root for Tigers, Titans and Timberwolves. 

14 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yes indeed.  When I saw they had 13 turnovers and were only down 6 at half, my thought was “only being down 6 giving it up that many times is almost shocking.”  And if they could clean that up in the 2nd half they had a real shot.  But as you say, a lot of that has to do with that Tiger defense.  Still, a great job by Clay and staff preparing them, and a great season by the Hawks.  Now we can all root for Tigers and Timberwolves. 

And Titans

35 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I think Clay had a great game plan. No three point shooting (only attempted 5 the whole game) and attacking the basket. The 24 turnovers were their downfall.

Silsbee getting that double digit lead in 2nd half then spreading the floor and isolating Harris and Miller, putting the ball in their hands exclusively, was a great move. Silsbee did not shoot the ball very well (5/19 three, 14/24 FT) but their defensive adjustment after the 1st quarter was big. HJ scored single digits in 2nd and 3rd quarters (8,9).

I had a good feeling that HJ would play Silsbee really tough in this one. It's just that Silsbee is better and they have two super stars in Harris and Miller along with some very complimentary support. HJ just doesn't have that go to guard but they play so well as a team.

8 hours ago, whsalum said:

Trying to figure out that 3/4 court defense is more uncomfortable than going against a full court press a lot of times imo

On 3/1/2023 at 10:35 AM, whsalum said:

I’m going to go ahead and ask it but does anyone else think Davis is the most underrated coach in SETX?  I understand we are blessed to have 4 absolute legends who are locks to be Hall of Famers.  And then you have guys like Foster and English who are as good as it gets too. But Clay’s teams win 25-30 games a year consistently.  And I seem to see more criticism than praise for him on here.  In a region incredibly blessed in terms of HS basketball coaches, he deserves to be in the conversation of the great coaches here. 

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I’m going to go ahead and ask it but does anyone else think Davis is the most underrated coach in SETX?  I understand we are blessed to have 4 absolute legends who are locks to be Hall of Famers.  And then you have guys like Foster and English who are as good as it gets too. But Clay’s teams win 25-30 games a year consistently.  And I seem to see more criticism than praise for him on here.  In a region incredibly blessed in terms of HS basketball coaches, he deserves to be in the conversation of the great coaches here. 

Absolutely. He consistently does a great job.