Texas Rangers Investigating Port Arthur Death

SmashMouth

The photos show evidence markers which several people on Facebook say are shell cases. The chief however said that no shots were fired.

There is virtually no way to cover up shots being fired, much less with the Rangers investigating and possibly family on scene. The Facebook lawyers say otherwise but I will go out on a limb and guess that those evidence markers are the plastic doors and/or barbs and wires from Taser cartridges or maybe something dropped by the deceased. 

I have been on scene when a guy believed to be doing drugs was hit with Tasers from my Street Crimes Unit. He didn’t make it either. I don’t remember what the autopsy showed. 

There is a term called excited delirium or agitated delirium. It is sometimes ruled as a cause of death but I think it is not universally accepted as a diagnosis among doctors themselves. This looks like it might be a case of a person going into cardiac arrest from some cause which could be without any injuries other than a Taser.

The Taser has a couple of doors/covers that blow off when it is used. Then it scatters tiny confetti with the serial number of the Taser cartridge (so the police can identify who fired the cartridge in case of denial). Then there are the wires and cartridges themselves.

All of that leaves things to be marked. With the article you posted, a witness claims to have seen a Taser used. That seems like it “may” have been the evidence markers that caused so much concern on Facebook with people thinking it was shell cases from a shooting.

It seemed like a logical conclusion.

BUT….

It could be something entirely different…..

I wonder how many people know that the Taser cartridges have dozens of tiny pieces of confetti discharged that identifies the serial number on the cartridge and that officers have the cartridge assigned to them just as if the one use disposable cartridge was a firearm. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 7:05 PM, tvc184 said:

I wonder how many people know that the Taser cartridges have dozens of tiny pieces of confetti discharged that identifies the serial number on the cartridge and that officers have the cartridge assigned to them just as if the one use disposable cartridge was a firearm.

Interesting. I had no idea...