Png 2023 ??

lcm93

2 hours ago, Indians93 said:

I saw how the defense was coached against that team last year when PNG won 42-14.  Put them on the field together again and it will be the same result. 

Understood. Will the exact same players be playing again? Which program has done better in the last 20 years? Which program has a better track record in similar circumstances (aware the PNG won last year when LH did not have their RBs)? 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. Will the exact same players be playing again? Which program has done better in the last 20 years? Which program has a better track record in similar circumstances (aware the PNG won last year when LH did not have their RBs)? 

We are talking about what happened last year and how they should be ranked this year.  As for as the game last year, I've stated before that the way PNG's defense was playing, it would not have mattered if they had those 2 RB's playing or anyone else for that matter.  PNG also beat Austin LBJ and Marshal which they should not have beaten.  Against LBJ, Marshal and LH, it was better coaching that got PNG past those games.  

8 minutes ago, Reagan said:

We are talking about what happened last year and how they should be ranked this year.  As for as the game last year, I've stated before that the way PNG's defense was playing, it would not have mattered if they had those 2 RB's playing or anyone else for that matter.  PNG also beat Austin LBJ and Marshal which they should not have beaten.  Against LBJ, Marshal and LH, it was better coaching that got PNG past those games.  

Got it. Understanding that "last year" means "nothing", LH on a year in year out basis is better than PNG. For now the safe bet is LH. 

On 6/23/2023 at 11:02 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

No way Melissa should be higher than SOC

SOC lost a lot especially on defense...Melissa brings back a lot (9 and 6) they are growing like crazy so they have depth and a couple of out of state move-ins that will contribute and they went toe to toe with SOC in a very physical game in the 4th round last year..it was 16-16 going into the 4th Qtr....SOC scored to take a seven point lead..Melissa drove down got in the red zone and turned it over on downs and then SOC put the dagger in with a minute left....its not far feteched at all to have Melissa over SOC IMO

1 minute ago, Matthew328 said:

Why not? SOC lost a lot especially on defense...Melissa brings back a lot (9 and 6) they are growing like crazy so they have depth and a couple of out of state move-ins that will contribute and they went toe to toe with SOC in a very physical game in the 4th round last year..it was 16-16 going into the 4th Qtr....SOC scored to take a seven point lead..Melissa drove down got in the red zone and turned it over on downs and then SOC put the dagger in with a minute left....its not far feteched at all to have Melissa over SOC IMO

That answers what I was wondering about, it makes sense now. 

2 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Got it. Understanding that "last year" means "nothing", LH on a year in year out basis is better than PNG. For now the safe bet is LH. 

Your quote:  "Which program has done better in the last 20 years?"  So, let me get this straight:  You can use historical references but I can't?  So, I can't use the massive wupping they put on LH last year but you can talk about the last 20 years?  Please explain!  Also understand, PNG had in the prior 20 years to this coach, well, less than the coaching they needed to challenge for a spot in the big dance.  It appears they have one now.  Only the future performances will tell!  

50 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Your quote:  "Which program has done better in the last 20 years?"  So, let me get this straight:  You can use historical references but I can't?  So, I can't use the massive wupping they put on LH last year but you can talk about the last 20 years?  Please explain!  Also understand, PNG had in the prior 20 years to this coach, well, less than the coaching they needed to challenge for a spot in the big dance.  It appears they have one now.  Only the future performances will tell!  

LH is ranked higher based on their track record and what they have back for the upcoming year. PNG (at the moment) is a good story but has not shown longevity as LH. 

11 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

LH is ranked higher based on their track record and what they have back for the upcoming year. PNG (at the moment) is a good story but has not shown longevity as LH. 

Preface: I live a stone's throw from Liberty Hill these days and spend a lot of time there. The day PN-G and Liberty Hill played last season, I threw on my PN-G gear and stopped at the Liberty Hill Dairy Queen for lunch before hitting the road to Katy. I respect everything the Panther program has accomplished. By no means should this post be construed as me downplaying their success.

It's asinine to reduce PN-G to "a good story" and suggest the Indians haven't shown longevity comparable to Liberty Hill's when, over the last ten seasons, the Indians have won 71% of their games, finished four seasons with ten or more wins and finished the season in the third round of the playoffs or higher five times. Keep in mind that one of those ten win seasons occurred despite a game cancellation caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Granted, Liberty Hill sports a better playoff record and a higher win percentage (79%) over the same time period. Liberty Hill was also 4ADI for seven of those ten seasons; didn't contend with three hurricanes, record-shattering rainfall from a fourth tropical cyclone, undue humiliation wrought by undeserved national media hysteria and a major industrial explosion during that period; and plays in a generally weaker region than PN-G. Liberty Hill is also a fast-growing and much more affluent community than anywhere in Southeast Texas, and has been showering its school district with extravagant resources for well over a decade. A recent former Liberty Hill school board member told me last year that roughly half of LHISD students today have out-of-state birth certificates.

If we're going to bring longevity into the argument, let's account for the wildly disparate levels of adversity. There's more to this game than the surface-level numbers. Put the two teams on the same football field and I'll take the purple and white over the purple and gold any damn day of the week.

6 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Preface: I live a stone's throw from Liberty Hill these days and spend a lot of time there. The day PN-G and Liberty Hill played last season, I threw on my PN-G gear and stopped at the Liberty Hill Dairy Queen for lunch before hitting the road to Katy. I respect everything the Panther program has accomplished. By no means should this post be construed as me downplaying their success.

It's asinine to reduce PN-G to "a good story" and suggest the Indians haven't shown longevity comparable to Liberty Hill's when, over the last ten seasons, the Indians have won 71% of their games, finished four seasons with ten or more wins and finished the season in the third round of the playoffs or higher five times. Keep in mind that one of those ten win seasons occurred despite a game cancellation caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Granted, Liberty Hill sports a better playoff record and a higher win percentage (79%) over the same time period. Liberty Hill was also 4ADI for seven of those ten seasons; didn't contend with three hurricanes, record-shattering rainfall from a fourth tropical cyclone, undue humiliation wrought by undeserved national media hysteria and a major industrial explosion during that period; and plays in a generally weaker region than PN-G. Liberty Hill is also a fast-growing and much more affluent community than anywhere in Southeast Texas, and has been showering its school district with extravagant resources for well over a decade. A recent former Liberty Hill school board member told me last year that roughly have of LHISD students today have out-of-state birth certificates.

If we're going to bring longevity into the argument, let's account for the wildly disparate levels of adversity. There's more to this game than the surface-level numbers. Put the two teams on the same football field and I'll take the purple and white over the purple and gold any damn day of the week.

I am not saying that you have to "like it", just explaining "why". Good thing is that they will have a chance to prove the rankings wrong starting in a couple of months. 

58 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

I am not saying that you have to "like it", just explaining "why". Good thing is that they will have a chance to prove the rankings wrong starting in a couple of months. 

My main point on the game is PNG knows exactly how to stop that one dimensional offense.  They knew what to expect and only allowed them to bust it a few times. 
the result would be the same if they are lucky enough to meet again. Long way to go. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

On top of that, I don’t see their small size being able to stop PNG’s massive O-line.  Just like last year. 

9 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

They have been stopping “massive O-Lines” for decades 

They had zero success doing it against PNG last year and the O line is going to be just as good if not bigger and better this year. LH was small and had no answer.

10 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Granted, Liberty Hill sports a better playoff record and a higher win percentage (79%) over the same time period. Liberty Hill was also 4ADI for seven of those ten seasons; didn't contend with three hurricanes, record-shattering rainfall from a fourth tropical cyclone, undue humiliation wrought by undeserved national media hysteria and a major industrial explosion during that period; and plays in a generally weaker region than PN-G. Liberty Hill is also a fast-growing and much more affluent community than anywhere in Southeast Texas, and has been showering its school district with extravagant resources for well over a decade. A recent former Liberty Hill school board member told me last year that roughly half of LHISD students today have out-of-state birth certificates.

I think you're being too kind with the "generally weaker region" comment. That is a much bigger factor when comparing the success of these programs imo.