Best Area Team... Ever

Guest GoStangs

Who is the best of the best?  

1. 1. Who is the best of the best?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Poll Gostangs. I'm not just saying this because i'm a Homer. But the 87 WOS Mustangs still to this day was the best team i've ever seen. Even to this day i have people telling me that the Defense they had was the best ever that Year. I remember Teams not being able to pass or run on them even in the playoffs. What a team that was and what a way for Kevin Smith to finish his HS career.

I remember talking to the former Tomball Coach a few Years back at a Playoff game in Houston and he Coached at Tomball in the 80's and he said he had never seen a Defense like that either. Jaxon Appell from Friendswood in 2000 said he didn't even want to go back on the field in the 2nd half of that Playoff game.

Guest etbu

Let met tell you if qb from Humble Mosely does not break his ankle late in the Herbert game that year Humble wins the game. He was the field goal kicker and would have kicked one to beat them. Instead the game finished what 13-12 when Humble could not score on fourth and goal. Alan Polk was a great running back. :lol:

Guest GoStangs

The 75 PNG team was ranked very high nationally, also. PNGIndians.com says they were #3 in the nation that year. I didn't see them and don't know much about them, but they had a few very strong teams around that time.

E, Heb and I are going to hook you up with some WOS goodies. I'll make sure you get them before the season starts. :)

Tilley, the only reason I didn't put 82 WB or 84 French on the list is because they had lost several games (WB didn't even win district that year). They both had amazing playoff runs, though.

Also remember that the '87 WO-S team not only was a nationally ranked team, but also BEAT a nationally ranked team in Aldine McArthur, who was the #1 ranked 5A team......and I think was #6 in the USA Today poll...at the time.

Guest bleed orange

Back in the old days there was some better TJ teams than the 1980 team. We are just to young to remember them. The TJ games used to be televised on channel 4 on Saturday each week or it may have been friday night after the game, but I remember as a kid watching TJ on TV each week.

Guest GoStangs

I agree the Westbrook team of 1982 needs to be considered.

I don't know that they're the best team ever. They certainly put together a good playoff run, but they also lost to French, Lincoln, Houston Kashmere, and TJ; tied Baytown Sterling in the playoffs (they advanced on first downs); and gave up over 16 points per game, while scoring an average of about 24 per game. They didn't even win district, so it's hard for me to say that they're the best ever...

Guest bleed orange

what I meant to say was the 1982 Westbrook team should be considered to be on the list. I did not say they were the best. Their story is unique because they won a state title in their first year as a school. Alex Durley did a wonderful job with that team.

I still believe Jasper's 1986 team with Troy Knight and Hunt was the best Jasper team I ever saw. That team also played terrific defense.

Yes that team had several outstanding defensive players. Adams, McFarland, Bevil, and Hafford come to mind.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin