Driver Charged With Intoxication Manslaughter After Crash Kills Local Deputy Mowing His Lawn

bullets13

Intoxicated drivers are innocent deaths waiting to happen and it is an equal threat to everyone. You can lock your home, you can have firearms for protection, you can  pay attention while in the public, you can avoid bad areas of town, etc., to at least lessen the likelihood of something bad happening.

With drunk drivers…. there is no protection. I worked at accident one time where a guy driving a pick up truck and extremely intoxicated, left the roadway, veered  to the left, went through a deep ditch and launched into the back of a house. The truck went completely into the den in the back of the house, striking a sofa against the outer wall which had a small baby on it.

You might think, inside of my home I will be OK. Certainly in the back of the house I will not be affected by drunk forever.

Guess again. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Intoxicated drivers are innocent deaths waiting to happen and it is an equal threat to everyone. You can lock your home, you can have firearms for protection, you can  pay attention while in the public, you can avoid bad areas of town, etc., to at least lessen the likelihood of something bad happening.

With drunk drivers…. there is no protection. I worked at accident one time where a guy driving a pick up truck and extremely intoxicated, left the roadway, veered  to the left, went through a deep ditch and launched into the back of a house. The truck went completely into the den in the back of the house, striking a sofa against the outer wall which had a small baby on it.

You might think, inside of my home I will be OK. Certainly in the back of the house I will not be affected by drunk forever.

Guess again. 

That kid was young......stupid way to ruin your life. 

7 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

That kid was young......stupid way to ruin your life. 

And somebody else’s.  I personally know three people who’ve been convicted of intoxication manslaughter.  Every case was wildly different from the other, but all three took lives with bad decisions.

45 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

And somebody else’s.  I personally know three people who’ve been convicted of intoxication manslaughter.  Every case was wildly different from the other, but all three took lives with bad decisions.

That is why I made my comment. Drunk drivers are a rolling homicide waiting to happen. 

I arrested a guy one time who went off the road and hit a tree in the middle of the neighborhood. I might’ve been kind of chewing him out for his stupidity along with the arrest (before cameras). His comment was something like, yeah but I didn’t hurt anybody. My answer to that was, great but with kids all over this neighborhood, it is  by the grace of God you did not cut one in half between your car and that tree. I think I made him cry.

I know it was my job but I have seen so many dead people from intoxicated driving including small children. It is disgusting that people will not call a ride, will not call an Uber, will not stay where they’re at, etc.

I wish there was mandatory sentencing of at least a week and I don’t mean with good time on the weekends. Once you were convicted, you must do at least seven days in the county jail for the first offense.

The way it is now, even if they give you a 30 day sentence, it can usually be reduced to 15 days for good time and then you could show up Friday night at the County Jail and get out early Sunday morning and get three days credit unless it has changed.