Lamar heading back to Southland Conference

AggiesAreWe

This is the hidden content, please

BREAKING: Sources have confirmed that Lamar University athletics will leave the WAC and return to the Southland Conference. A press conference will announce details Friday morning at 11 a.m.

The sad thing is, I read where Lamar paid Southland $300k to leave Southland last year. Maybe they will give Lamar that money back. Lol

The new President seems like a great guy when I met him just recently. Hopefully, they find a smart and capable AD that can turn things around. I’m a baseball guy, so my issues are focused on Vincent Beck. It’s not in good condition. The outfield walls are faded, restrooms stay broken, concession stand is a joke and closes in 7th inning, and overall needs some upgrades. The turf is nice, but that’s it. Southland Conference is where Lamar belongs.

1 hour ago, TradenupBH said:

The sad thing is, I read where Lamar paid Southland $300k to leave Southland last year. Maybe they will give Lamar that money back. Lol

The new President seems like a great guy when I met him just recently. Hopefully, they find a smart and capable AD that can turn things around. I’m a baseball guy, so my issues are focused on Vincent Beck. It’s not in good condition. The outfield walls are faded, restrooms stay broken, concession stand is a joke and closes in 7th inning, and overall needs some upgrades. The turf is nice, but that’s it. Southland Conference is where Lamar belongs.

Would the conference pay LU anything to come back? How does that kind of thing work when a school returns? The SLC could have told them to kick rocks, but I think they know that the Cards belong there, too. 

35 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Apparently, this is heavily football related.  Schools were told a move to FBS was forthcoming and that is no longer the case supposedly.  

That sounds like an excuse due to the overall athletics program in disarray. I didn’t think the move with that type geographical setup was fiscally responsible to begin with. Hoping for a good AD hire. Athletics needs some direction, because right now it’s nose diving into the ground.

23 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Would the conference pay LU anything to come back? How does that kind of thing work when a school returns? The SLC could have told them to kick rocks, but I think they know that the Cards belong there, too. 

Sounds like it was probably a two way welcome back. The Southland needs a football school and Lamar needed a place to save athletic budget money. Plus, the Southland made McNeese their flagship

First, it makes since from a financial standpoint.

Second, Lamar has not been competitive in any sports as of late even when they were in the Southland.

I don't know why they were looking for FBS instead of FCS football when football has never been competitive through all the years. They dropped football after 1989 to focus on basketball and other sports and basketball was already in decline then.

Perhaps, between this move and a new AD they can regroup and get things back together.

I just hope Southland can also regroup where they don't lose their automatic bids to NCAA tournaments.

2 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

I would be super surprised if SFA doesn’t announce the move back also. Sam Houston and New Mexico St announced they’re leaving WAC next year for conference USA. What a mess. UIW and UT-Arlington announced going to WAC next year. Wonder if they back out now?

SFA will not be going back…Per Ivey 

2 minutes ago, spidersal said:

I personally think Lamar needs to go to Division 2 where they can enjoy success. The SLC does make more since than the WAC due to the financial side. The WAC and SLC are very weak conferences.  Hopefully Lamar can find a good AD that can help improve all athletic programs

I think that makes sense, but I don't even think success is guaranteed there at this point. 

23 minutes ago, BlueOwl said:

Going to Division 2 is a losers mentality. 

That's apparently the mentality the people hiring the last AD & the AD had. The girls AD at PNG Coach Comeaux has a better resume & could do 10 times better then Borne, not sure wth they were thinking hiring that guy.  

10 hours ago, no-look said:

SFA will not be going back…Per Ivey 

Of course not.  The WAC is just a much stronger conference obviously.  And also means more $.  And SFA did well in their first year there.  

I honestly don’t know if this is the best course for Lamar.  It would have been very tough to sign the last class in the Southland.  And I hope the ones who have committed in this year’s class don’t bail.  

59 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Of course not.  The WAC is just a much stronger conference obviously.  And also means more $.  And SFA did well in their first year there.  

I honestly don’t know if this is the best course for Lamar.  It would have been very tough to sign the last class in the Southland.  And I hope the ones who have committed in this year’s class don’t bail.  

Maybe Lamar should have stayed, at least for now. Like we have talked about before, you can’t gauge the bb team by how this year turned out. Just a freak year with Covid and injuries.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Honest question for those of us that haven't been involved in the recruiting process: does the conference a school is in matter to recruits at the lower levels of D-1 like the Southland and WAC?