Baytown Lee and Pasadena Memorial/LEE GETS HOME GAME

offensive lineman Michael Garcia should be back for the first time in  a few weeks

Josh Jones was hobbling around last week, but he played at receiver against Atascocita

Octavio Torres was back playing at qb against Atascocita

David Hare was back at inside linebacker

Kevin Craft, wr, seems to have recovered fully from a twisted ankle.

wr Michael Mahan is no longer on the team

rb Jarvis Moore, rb CJ Mixon and de Zac Zellars are all out for the year with injuries.

We moved Thomas Bates to corner from safety and he ended up with two picks returned for a combined 180 yards and 1 td.  I still think it would serve us better to have Josh Jones at qb, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Pasadena Memorial seems a little suspect in the pass defense.  I think, as always, Lee has a puncher's chance against most anyone. 

Guest tigersvoice

As like most Triangle fans, if it's not your school, y'all don't know Jack.  Memorial has a strong running game and Lee is historically weak against the run.  I say Memorial by 10

I love it when these "Experts" run in here and clear everything up for us.  Thanks, SFA85, for even taking the time to enlighten us.

offensive lineman Michael Garcia should be back for the first time in  a few weeks

Josh Jones was hobbling around last week, but he played at receiver against Atascocita

Octavio Torres was back playing at qb against Atascocita

David Hare was back at inside linebacker

Kevin Craft, wr, seems to have recovered fully from a twisted ankle.

wr Michael Mahan is no longer on the team

rb Jarvis Moore, rb CJ Mixon and de Zac Zellars are all out for the year with injuries.

We moved Thomas Bates to corner from safety and he ended up with two picks returned for a combined 180 yards and 1 td.  I still think it would serve us better to have Josh Jones at qb, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Pasadena Memorial seems a little suspect in the pass defense.  I think, as always, Lee has a puncher's chance against most anyone. 

maybe the return of some of those guys will go a long way towards getting a win in the first round. Good luck Ganders!

I was at that game with Memorial and WB last year at Stallworth.  They did give WB a scare.  Memorial is all about execution.  They are not going to out-athlete anyone, although Snelson is a good enough athlete at running back.  The teams that scare me are the ones that have really good athletes like PAM and West Brook.  I like Lee's chances when I know that if a Lee receiver gets out there in the open field it's going to be tough for Pasadena Memorial to contain him.  Memorial will, of course, scheme well enough that it probably won't occur too many times where Lee breaks out in the open field.  Stil,, I like Lee's chances if we can catch a break or two.

Either way, I will be there again Saturday pulling for the West Brook Bruins.

Ganders get wish with home playoff

By Dave Rogers

Published November 12, 2007

Turns out it wasn’t No. 4-ranked North Shore that the Lee Ganders were looking to avoid in this week’s bi-district round of the Class 5A playoffs. It was a trip to their homefield, Galena Park ISD Stadium.

Coach Dick Olin’s coaching staff got its wish Saturday night when Humble’s 39-17 win over Port Arthur put Kingwood into the Division I playoffs against North Shore and pushed Lee into a Division II matchup with Pasadena Memorial.

Olin has said many times his teams historically play well against North Shore, which invariably enters the playoffs at 10-0, as is the case this year. But since last season’s 34-33 overtime loss to the Mustangs took place at Stallworth Stadium, by rule a repeat pairing would have had to be played in Galena Park’s showcase stadium.

“That place can be kind of intimidating when you’re not used to playing there,†a Lee coach said. “We’d rather just start at home.â€

Lee and Memorial play at 7 p.m. Friday at Stallworth Stadium. It’s one of three bi-district games involving area teams.

Crosby (8-2) hosts Dayton (7-3) at 7 p.m. at Cougar Stadium Friday night while Baytown Christian (4-5) travels west to play Austin Regents (8-2) on its homefield at 7 p.m. Friday.

Lee (5-5) qualified as District 21-5A’s third-place team with a 44-7 win over Atascocita last Friday. Pasadena Memorial qualified for the playoffs with a 7-0 start to its season but finished the regular season 7-2 and third place in 22-5A after closing with losses to North Shore (52-31) and Deer Park (35-30), the district’s first- and second-place finishers.

The Mavericks battled North Shore tooth-and-nail for three quarters, trailing just 28-24 in the third quarter. Last Friday, Deer Park jumped out a 21-7 second-quarter lead on Pasadena Memorial and the Mavericks trailed 35-17 before a furious finish came up short.

Drama like that was missing from Lee’s final regular-season game.

The Ganders took a 37-0 halftime lead thanks to three TD passes by Octavio Torres and interception returns of 97 and 89 yards by Thomas Bates.

Lee’s running game, hurting since the Oct. 5 season-ending injury to Jarvis Moore, churned for 167 yards on 32 carries, with Paul Martinez’ second-half 56-yard TD run helping him lead that category with 64 yards on five carries.

Early on, it was Jesse Luna (13-52) and Kevin Craft (4-23) that got the Ganders started toward their converting the opening kickoff into seven points.

“We wanted to run the football and we did,†Olin said. “We tried to throw a few times when it presented itself. We didn’t have a whole lot of yardage, but it was a good offensive night.â€

Lee’s receivers helped the Ganders finish with 127 passing yards on 8 of 17 accuracy.

Torres was just 6 of 15 passing for 105 yards, an off-night for him. Josh Jones played the final period at quarterback and completed both his passes for 22 yards.

Playing sparingly at receiver, Jones showed his knee injury that flared up Oct. 26 wasn’t that serious as he scored on an eight-yard play off an underneath route for Lee’s first touchdown. It was his only catch of the game.

Jahwran Goode led Gander receivers with three catches for 73 yards and two scores. The second, a 25-yarder, came when he broke loose from a pile-up near the line of scrimmage and picked his way to the end zone.

Goode’s first score, which, thanks to a surprise onsides kickoff, gave Lee a 14-0 lead before Atascocita’s offense took the field, came after a beautiful play fake by Torres left the receiver wide open on a post pattern and a 34-yard touchdown.

“Jahwran did a good job,†Olin said. “He can run.â€

Torres, playing for the first time since an Oct. 26 concussion, also scored on a three-yard keeper.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder