Tarkington Open

cat001

6 minutes ago, BEARCPA said:

No, I was simply taking your logic and applying it to your views on football coaches. "It's like we are having a topic debate/discussion on high school bands.  95-98% of this forum, including me, has no first hand knowledge of playing in the high school band.  So, for decent and somewhat expert opinions, I would defer to someone that has been involved in the band."

This logic tells me that your opinions on here are invalid because you've never won a state championship as a head football coach. So, for decent and somewhat expert opinions, I will defer to someone that has been involved in winning a state championship in football.

Like you, I have never been involved in winning a state championship. But unlike you, I don't have a meritless set of criteria that defines a coach's success that I try to shove down everyone's throats. 

If you've never won a State Title -- then how do you know it's meritless?   Sounds like an opinion!   Which that's Ok.  Because that's basically all we do here.

BTW -- the shoving only goes one way?   Just because one doesn't understand something doesn't mean it's being shoved.  It's call opinions and discussions.  Apparently you really don't mind because you get involved in these opinions and discussions!  

PS -- as for me -- I'll keep discussing until everybody agrees with me!    :)

Some of you guys have beat a dead horse to death. If need be I can start a thread about Art Briles and how smart some of you are about winning State Championships. I thought the title was about Tarkington??? You guys have made this thread 8 pages long trying to prove how smart you are about nothing. Carry on.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:58 AM, oldschool2 said:

Makes sense.  Speaking of Finney.. who is another excellent coach.. I believe he missed the playoffs this year despite his track record.  Just goes to show that it takes more than coaching.  Still gotta have horses in the stable. 

Or -- he was up against better coaches!  Just saying.     :)

7 minutes ago, idk said:

Some of you guys have beat a dead horse to death. If need be I can start a thread about Art Briles and how smart some of you are about winning State Championships. I thought the title was about Tarkington??? You guys have made this thread 8 pages long trying to prove how smart you are about nothing. Carry on.

Are you the content sheriff?   LOL!!    If you don't like a respectful discussion, then look at other threads that might not upset your sensibilities.  

1 hour ago, idk said:

Agreed, I dont understand why anyone would want to post their thoughts in a forum? Forums are not designed for posters to provide their thoughts an opinions. 

5 hours ago, Reagan said:

Or -- he was up against better coaches!  Just saying.     :)

To clarify.. when a coach wins a title one year, but not the next.. it’s because it was against better coaches? I’m really trying to figure out your system of what makes a good coach.  It’s difficult.

Or.. as with every year.. teams lose seniors. Does that factor?  Or is it that they became a worse coach or played better coaches?  Or both?

By the way.. I never got an answer about Phil Danaher.  Elite coach or not?

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

To clarify.. when a coach wins a title one year, but not the next.. it’s because it was against better coaches? I’m really trying to figure out your system of what makes a good coach.  It’s difficult.

Or.. as with every year.. teams lose seniors. Does that factor?  Or is it that they became a worse coach or played better coaches?  Or both?

By the way.. I never got an answer about Phil Danaher.  Elite coach or not?

A coach winning 1 Title does not reach my category of Elite status.  So it doesn't surprise me if this coach doesn't win another.  Some get lucky.  Mike Owens at Tyler comes to mind.  Mike was a good coach.  He won a Title.   But would I put him in the same category as Surratt and Buchanan?  No.  Look, you have bad, good, great and Elite coaches.  Also, concerning winning 1 and not the next, Todd Dodge come to mind.  Dodge won a Title, then lost it the next year.  Then won 3 in a row.  He lost the State game to Katy which had its own Elite coach which had 3 Titles.  So, in that situation something's going to give.  

To get to the Elite category, a coach has to win at least 2 State Titles.  Look, I know my bar/expectations is higher than most.  Remember, coaches expectations at the beginning of the season is to win District and win State.  So, why would my expectations of them be any different?!  Trust me when I say a coach will not say his expectation is to go 0-10.  

Now, Danaher:  Danaher is in the great coach category.  I've thought for awhile why with being there for 37 years and all those wins, he never won a State Title.  Then someone here mention something one time.  They basically said Danaher was the big dog in what was basically a bad district.  You know, the tallest midget in the room scenario.  Looks impressive until you leave the room.  Is this the reason.  Kind of makes sense.  How else can one explain a coach with all these wins and in 37 years no State Titles?!  the bottom line is where you set the bar.  Apparently the admin and fans were OK with him not ever winning State.  And that's Ok too.  For them!    :)

PS -- If you, or anyone here, was in charge of picking the next Head Coach and your job depended on it,  and their criteria was that they want a State Championship as soon as possible -- who would you hire?   Danaher or Briles? 

7 hours ago, Reagan said:

A coach winning 1 Title does not reach my category of Elite status.  So it doesn't surprise me if this coach doesn't win another.  Some get lucky.  Mike Owens at Tyler comes to mind.  Mike was a good coach.  He won a Title.   But would I put him in the same category as Surratt and Buchanan?  No.  Look, you have bad, good, great and Elite coaches.  Also, concerning winning 1 and not the next, Todd Dodge come to mind.  Dodge won a Title, then lost it the next year.  Then won 3 in a row.  He lost the State game to Katy which had its own Elite coach which had 3 Titles.  So, in that situation something's going to give.  

To get to the Elite category, a coach has to win at least 2 State Titles.  Look, I know my bar/expectations is higher than most.  Remember, coaches expectations at the beginning of the season is to win District and win State.  So, why would my expectations of them be any different?!  Trust me when I say a coach will not say his expectation is to go 0-10.  

Now, Danaher:  Danaher is in the great coach category.  I've thought for awhile why with being there for 37 years and all those wins, he never won a State Title.  Then someone here mention something one time.  They basically said Danaher was the big dog in what was basically a bad district.  You know, the tallest midget in the room scenario.  Looks impressive until you leave the room.  Is this the reason.  Kind of makes sense.  How else can one explain a coach with all these wins and in 37 years no State Titles?!  the bottom line is where you set the bar.  Apparently the admin and fans were OK with him not ever winning State.  And that's Ok too.  For them!    :)

PS -- If you, or anyone here, was in charge of picking the next Head Coach and your job depended on it,  and their criteria was that they want a State Championship as soon as possible -- who would you hire?   Danaher or Briles? 

If my job was to pick the next head coach at Tarkington and my job depended on it... and their criteria was to win a state championship as soon as possible, I'd probably have a realistic discussion with them about where their expectations need to be. 

Look.. it's obvious that you have some kind of thing for Briles.  I agree that he's a great coach.. arguably deserving credit for bringing the spread offense to high school football.  I will have to remind you that Hamlin did have some good seasons before he got there and also after he left.  Which is how he got the Georgetown job (not a good two year stint). Then the Stephenville job.  Stephenville has won two state championships long after he's been gone.  Southlake Carrol was winning state championships before Dodge took over.. and Austin Westlake?  I notice you didn't mention that he got fired from UNT and then went 8-12 over two seasons at Marble Falls before taking the WL job.  That's 5 seasons of ..according to your standards ..pretty bad coaching.

Point being.. let's assume that Tarkington even had a prayer of landing an established, big name coach.  Which.. they don't.  Anyway.  Assume they did.  What historical success would even make you think that a big name coach would make a difference? Here's some examples of schools that will draw big names due to their history of success and potential for even more: Mart, Canadian, Cameron Yoe, Newton, East Bernard, Celina, Pilot Point, Gilmer, Carthage, West Orange Stark, Stephenville, Aledo, Highland Park, Katy, Southlake Carrol, Lake Travis, Westlake, North Shore, Allen... and others.  But Tarkington IS NOT on the list. I'm talking about schools with at least a history of deep runs sometimes.. no matter who the coach is.  I know a lot of those schools are recent guests at the state championship game but SEVERAL of them have been there before.  How many playoff games has Tarkington won in their history?  You think that one coach can go there and win 6 playoff games in a row.. in the same year within a 5 year window? Come on...

These coaching names that you're throwing around landed jobs of schools that were at least competitive before going there.  Were the coaches good enough to bring it all the way?  Possibly the reason.  But that's not the case with Tarkington.  Not right now and not yet.  Probably not ever.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:34 PM, bullets13 said:

For what it's worth, the rules about bashing coaches and players only apply to local high school coaches and players.  Nobody cares if you want to talk crap about college or pro coaches and players.  

Art Briles coached two years at Mount Vernon HIGH SCHOOL, went 20-6 there, and very, very nearly beat State Champ Jim Ned.

Briles is often mentioned here in relation to LOCAL high school openings, see above.  

I guess the rules are just enforced or ignored arbitrarily as we go along, right?  

50 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Art Briles coached two years at Mount Vernon HIGH SCHOOL, went 20-6 there, and very, very nearly beat State Champ Jim Ned.

Briles is often mentioned here in relation to LOCAL high school openings, see above.  

I guess the rules are just enforced or ignored arbitrarily as we go along, right?  

Right

2 hours ago, pedrocerrano said:

I think tarkington would be flattered to have an 8 page topic on them until they found out it was just an 8 page argument on Briles

Well, I went back to every page to see if you posted something concerning this subject.  Guess what?  No postings.  So, got to wonder why all of a sudden you are concerned about it.  Anyway, if you had been paying attention, there is a correlation about Briles and Tarkington.  It may take a few side roads but so what?  Point started off being that Stephenville was very much in the same boat as Tarkington.  I even posted Stephenville's records before Briles got there.  Point being -- it took the right coach to come in and right the ship.  I believe it took him 6 years to implement his program which resulted in 4 State Titles.  And BTW -- during those Title runs he was 63-1.  Impressive in anyone's book.  Tarkington will need someone dedicated to staying there and implementing a program that reaches all the way down to the junior high level.  And just as Brownwood was the big dog in Stephenville's district, that eventually fell to Stephenville, it appears that East Chambers is the big dog here.  This would be the goal to topple East Chambers.  But, can just any coach do it?  No.  But, as with any hire -- you never know if you got the "right" coach or not!  

On 4/2/2022 at 3:53 PM, Separation Scientist said:

the only arbitrary thing here is your intentionally (at least I hope so, for your sake) obtuse interpretation of both the site rules and my response.

you: coaches aren't supposed to be bashed, but this disgraced college coach gets bashed all the time on here.

me: the rule applies to local high school coaches and players.

you: well, this college coach coached two years of high school 5 hours away, and sometimes people who don't know anything talk about him coaching locally. You guys don't follow your own rules.

43 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Well, I went back to every page to see if you posted something concerning this subject.  Guess what?  No postings.  So, got to wonder why all of a sudden you are concerned about it.  Anyway, if you had been paying attention, there is a correlation about Briles and Tarkington.  It may take a few side roads but so what?  Point started off being that Stephenville was very much in the same boat as Tarkington.  I even posted Stephenville's records before Briles got there.  Point being -- it took the right coach to come in and right the ship.  I believe it took him 6 years to implement his program which resulted in 4 State Titles.  And BTW -- during those Title runs he was 63-1.  Impressive in anyone's book.  Tarkington will need someone dedicated to staying there and implementing a program that reaches all the way down to the junior high level.  And just as Brownwood was the big dog in Stephenville's district, that eventually fell to Stephenville, it appears that East Chambers is the big dog here.  This would be the goal to topple East Chambers.  But, can just any coach do it?  No.  But, as with any hire -- you never know if you got the "right" coach or not!  

LOL