Lamar basketball

MikelSR

3 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I haven’t been to a game yet so I can’t truly  analyze the team, 

Is there anyone other than Reyes?  16% shooting 35% ft. 2 reb/game  0.6 ppg.

0.058 ppg per min

I know stats don’t always cover the whole picture, but come on

ok maybe injuries. Well even so those are terrible numbers even as a role player.  

Reyes was a late pick up on a team that needed size.   He held Illinois, Fresno St offers among others.  He is really, really raw but has improved believe it or not.  

The best two bigs are Catt and Nickerson (by a wide margin).  Both have been out a bunch with either injuries or sickness.  Catt was back with limited minutes last night and Nickerson is still out with mono.  As a result, Brooks has had to rely on Reyes and Carpenter (a walk on) to fill that role.  It’s a lot tougher in the WAC to go small with your lineups.  They tried at the end of the game last night with McClure and got abused in the paint. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Reyes was a late pick up on a team that needed size.   He held Illinois, Fresno St offers among others.  He is really, really raw but has improved believe it or not.  

The best two bigs are Catt and Nickerson (by a wide margin).  Both have been out a bunch with either injuries or sickness.  Catt was back with limited minutes last night and Nickerson is still out with mono.  As a result, Brooks has had to rely on Reyes and Carpenter (a walk on) to fill that role.  It’s a lot tougher in the WAC to go small with your lineups.  They tried at the end of the game last night with McClure and got abused in the paint. 

Well I guess on the positive side he s getting experience.

also the season is done for as far as tourney. So IMO Underclassmen would start getting more minutes anyways.

Is the local talent staying?

On 2/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, BEARCPA said:

I'd really like to hear your suggestions on how Lamar should go about getting a medical or law school. Also, why would they want to expand a stadium that already has plenty of empty seats on gameday? 

Sam Houston State, Lamar's sister school, just built a medical school. They raised money, got the state reps and TSU board to back it. It can and should be done. As an alum, I'm sick of seeing the school get left behind. As for the football, get better coaches, get out of the WACk, and go home to the Sunbelt, the conference we founded. 

On 2/3/2022 at 2:11 PM, bullets13 said:

One could argue that failures in sports don't really have much to do with their being an asset to the area.  hundreds of thousands of local kids have gotten an affordable education from a college respectable enough for them to get hired into jobs.  that's Lamar's biggest asset to the area for me.

The Lamar degree isn't really looked upon to favorably outside of Beaumont. I hate to say that as a Lamar grad. The school, just like the place it calls home, just keeps falling behind the rest of the state. Maybe the new president can turn things around. I'm just soured on the school right now because it can and should be better.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:41 PM, Lions Pride 2021 said:

Sam Houston State, Lamar's sister school, just built a medical school. They raised money, got the state reps and TSU board to back it. It can and should be done. As an alum, I'm sick of seeing the school get left behind. As for the football, get better coaches, get out of the WACk, and go home to the Sunbelt, the conference we founded. 

You're always going to be let down if you're comparing yourself to the Joneses. FYI Sam's medical school is closer to Houston than it is to their main campus. Thats like Lamar opening a medical school in Anahuac. I can't argue with you about Lamar needing better leadership in athletics though. 

On 2/4/2022 at 6:46 PM, Lions Pride 2021 said:

The Lamar degree isn't really looked upon to favorably outside of Beaumont. I hate to say that as a Lamar grad. The school, just like the place it calls home, just keeps falling behind the rest of the state. Maybe the new president can turn things around. I'm just soured on the school right now because it can and should be better.

That is just simply not true. I had dozens of classmates in the accounting program land really good jobs all across the state after graduation, and I know companies from all across the world come to Lamar to recruit students in the engineering program. 

Not a graduate of Lamar, but I am from Port Arthur/Groves (PN-G alumnus).  I know several LU alums that have outstanding jobs/careers.  The engineering and nursing programs at LU are strong, well thought of, and professionals across Texas and Louisiana know about Lamar and those programs.  Hang in there with LU men's basketball.  Coach Brooks will find the right kids and turn the corner with the program.  I believe in Coach Brooks.  You will not find a better all-around human being.  He's a teacher and role model.  He does not cheat or cut-corners.  He will teach your kids to be solid young men.  No, I'm not related to him and I am not his agent.  Met him at UH and I have been a fan ever since.  

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Is Lamar recruiting anyone from the area?

I count 6 local kids on the roster

is this the most local talent on a Lamar team?

Not in this next year’s class to my knowledge.   Not sure we have anyone locally who would fit the bill (other than one or ones who have already signed).  

Certainly need to give Brooks a chance, however Lamar struggling competing in all sports. I guess they just can’t recruit probably due in part to an ugly campus, not much to do in Beaumont, and losing programs. It seems to me since Born was hired as AD, all programs are worse. Bruner had the softball team winning, Hooks can’t sniff a win, Harmony had the womens basketball competing, this coach struggles, winning, Davis has proven that he can’t win in baseball. I don’t know what the athletic programs problems are, but it is not good. I sure hope Brooks can turn it around

2 hours ago, no-look said:

Jordyn Adam’s still with the Cardinals? Thought Lamar played a decent game today although short handed 

Yes he’s hurt.  

I agree all things considered.  Had a 2 guard running the point with a walk on SF/PF backing him up at the point. The hits just keep on coming. 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:15 PM, spidersal said:

Certainly need to give Brooks a chance, however Lamar struggling competing in all sports. I guess they just can’t recruit probably due in part to an ugly campus, not much to do in Beaumont, and losing programs. It seems to me since Born was hired as AD, all programs are worse. Bruner had the softball team winning, Hooks can’t sniff a win, Harmony had the womens basketball competing, this coach struggles, winning, Davis has proven that he can’t win in baseball. I don’t know what the athletic programs problems are, but it is not good. I sure hope Brooks can turn it around

Problem starts at the top, which is Born. Guy can’t hire to save his life.