Tide turns for NHS boys hoops squad

Tide turns for NHS boys hoops squad

NEDERLAND -- The tides will start to change this year in Nederland's basketball program. Head coach Brian English is now in his second year with the Bulldogs

and the young squad he put together last season is now a year older.

Perhaps the biggest bonus is the new basketball class schedule that English lobbied for over the off-season. Instead of getting his players two to three times a week during school hours, he gets to see his players for 45 minutes every day of the week.

"The program is heading in the right direction," English said. "Getting the kids everyday is a plus. It's more consistent and gives the players more opportunities to learn our system. We got a lot of experience last year. We are still young but we were young last season."

The Bulldogs finished last year 9-21 overall and 4-10 in District 22-4A. They were led by 6-2 guard Chris Hammond who was named newcomer of the year as a

sophomore and is expected to continue to improve this season.

Hammond averaged 13.2 points per game last season. Nederland's other leading returners include juniors Francis Torres, Josh Dean, Jordan Pitts and senior Buddy Cooper.

Torres is a 5-9 guard who averaged 6.2 points per game last season. Dean, a 6-3 post, averaged 6.5 points per game. Pitts, a 6-0 guard, averaged 5.8 points per game and Cooper, a 6-0 guard, averaged 7.1 points per game.

Seniors Marcus Eaves, Kris Brisco, junior Evan Fitch and freshman Dionte Forney round out the rest of Nederland's squad. Forney is a 6-4 post player and hopes to add a presence in the paint for the Dogs.

English said they are undersized but the key to the season will be unselfish basketball and a change in the mindset among the players.

"They've (players) had a great summer and they gained a lot from last year. They're just going to have to start believing we can win and compete with anyone. I think they've started to figure out how to win and that's going to have to roll over into this season."

English also said his team will have to be more consistent this season and play all four quarters, every night.

"We have to share the ball and play together at all times," he said.

Nederland is going to be competitive.  Not to be negative but I guess Forney doesn't even have to go through the appearance of a tryout.  He's in football until Thursday.  Basketball tryouts are held Friday.  He's a great talent and there's never been a doubt that he would be placed on Varsity, but to name him to Varsity before his token tryout in an article, while leaving off several seniors(Zack, Josh, and Andy) who have worked hard all summer and fall to make this team sends a bad message. ???  since they are not even mentioned as being on the squad should they assume they didn't make it.  I rarely disagree with Coach English but it was simply a bad decision to mention him on Varsity before a tryout is held. 

This is not about the player because Forney is a good player and will help the team but is about the appearance of differing standards concerning trying out first.

Guest catfever

Does an article always say exactly what a coach says.  No.  A lot of times, coaches will say things and the reporter will put it into the article the way they see fit.  Maybe Coach English mentioned all of those kids you said, but the reporter did not want to write all of them out so he chose some.  Maybe Coach English said that he hoped to get some help from freshman Dionte Forney.  Don't always believe everything you read in the newspaper to be word for word.

Guest Sangster05

Come on now, Nederland is undersized. With a 6-4 200 lb freshman whos work ethic is probably 2nd to none on this team how could he not mention him? This kid is going to be the best/most exciting thing thats happened to NHS basketball in a long time, maybe ever. I coached this kid last fall and hes for real. Hes going to be very very good. If he countinues to grow and learn the game he will probably be better than Kendrick was. Only time will tell.

Come on now, Nederland is undersized. With a 6-4 200 lb freshman whos work ethic is probably 2nd to none on this team how could he not mention him? This kid is going to be the best/most exciting thing thats happened to NHS basketball in a long time, maybe ever. I coached this kid last fall and hes for real. Hes going to be very very good. If he countinues to grow and learn the game he will probably be better than Kendrick was. Only time will tell.

I just stated an opinion.  I said the kid is good.  He has the potential to be great!  It is a foregone conclusion that he will and should make varsity.  He played all Spring and Summer with the Junior starters so it is no surprise that he would be on the varsity.

However, I stand by the idea that for the credibility of having tryouts and for his own sake, Dionte should have had to go through the process and earn it, like the other players did last year.  This would have alleviated and prevented any misconceptions of special treatment or resentments by the other players who are going or have gone through the tryouts.   

I look forward to watching him mature as a player.  I don't know if he will be better than Kendrick(I hope so) but he and the rest of the Nederland team will be fun to watch. GO DOGS!!!

Guest Sangster05

Im sure dionte will go through tryouts just like the rest of the freshman who want to play bball at NHS this yaer. Theres really no doubt about it. Are you saying its wrong for him to be able to play summer ball with guys who are already on the team? It happens in fall baseball all the time, just for the simple fact that all the other players arent available due to football, work, etc. And I highly doubt there will be any resentment to the fact that hes a lock for varsity already. Anybody whos seen him play at all should have known that.

But, yeah hopefully he is better than Kendrick. The kids already got a better shot than Kendrick did. Kendrick was more of the classic big, power center. Dionte has a great shot away from the basketball, shoots a high percentage from the line, and runs the floor very well. He will definitely be fun to watch over the next 4 years.

I agree with you in principle B-Dog Fan and the timing of the article would have been better next Monday, but having a son who is a Jr. starter on that team, I look forward to seeing  Dionte benefit the team.  With Josh Dean injured, having another big guy will not hurt.  My youngest son is Freshman and will go through tryouts and maintain a positive attitude throughout regardless of what happens regarding other players.    

Guest Sangster05

Trust me, everytime he steps on the floor it means something to him. Tryouts, practice, or games. It doesnt matter.

Theres some quality freshman bball players coming up with dionte, so he will definitley be surrounded with plenty of help for the next 4 years.

NHS83LU87's freshman will be playing right along side Dionte for probably the next 3 seasons after this one, which will be a great combo to watch play. And no doubt Dionte will provide some immediate much needed help.

Trust me, everytime he steps on the floor it means something to him. Tryouts, practice, or games. It doesnt matter.

Theres some quality freshman bball players coming up with dionte, so he will definitley be surrounded with plenty of help for the next 4 years.

NHS83LU87's freshman will be playing right along side Dionte for probably the next 3 seasons after this one, which will be a great combo to watch play. And no doubt Dionte will provide some immediate much needed help.

I guess having a Junior and Freshman gave me way Scrap.  I would like nothing better than to see JP and Jacob on the floor together at some point next year if Jacob earns it.   Dionte and Jacob do provide some size for the future.  But let's worry with one season at a time.  It's going to be an exciting year!!!  Come out and watch the scrimmage against WOS Saturday on the new gymn floor.  Freshman starts at 1:30 PM.  I know the guys like the new floor.  I can understand why since I hated playing on the old floor back in the 80's.

B-Dog Fan, I appreciate your opinion and position on the issue but it sounds to much like the start of baseball season last year.  If you're a true fan try not to stir the pot.  Players read these posts.

Guest Sangster05

Yep, it definitely gave you away. lol.

As much as I would like to be at the WOS v Ned scrimmage on saturday. Ill be at the Hargrave v PNG scrimmage. I got to see George Foreman VI play while hes here. Who knows, George might be there too.

B-Dog Fan, I appreciate your opinion and position on the issue but it sounds to much like the start of baseball season last year.  If your a true fan try not to stir the pot.  Players read these posts.

Well it will be very hard for Nerderland to compete in this district but i think they can they have an Excellent Guard i Saw this Summer Vs Kountze a Very Big Post Player that needs some work but can get on the block and play Physical Ball. I don't know if they can handle pressure to well though. When kountze pressed them in The Summer they didn't know what to do. So if they get that knocked out the way they will be looking to finish 2nd or 3rd in that District. The Talent is there for sure.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder