District Championships importance?

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

District Championships importance?

With some schools already knowing they are going D1 or D2 does winning the district title have much importance in the current system? If you had your choice would you rather be district champs and get beat first round or be runner up and go three rounds deep? Just seems that a school that knows they are going big school and is already in does not really matter if they are district champs or not. In the old days it mattered now it doesn't seem to as much as far as playoffs go. What do you think? 

It definitely means something to be "the best" of your class (district). I have never heard of being forced to forfeit two playoff wins due to a district title. If you come in second or third and lose in the third round every year, you're forgotten. District champs and state champs are remembered.

It definitely means something to be "the best" of your class (district). I have never heard of being forced to forfeit two playoff wins due to a district title. If you come in second or third and lose in the third round every year, you're forgotten. District champs and state champs are remembered.

I've got to agree. Being the champions of anything will be something that will stay with you. These young men who win district will always be remembered for that.

Why do they call it a Bi-district champion, area champion, regional champion... etc??? I would be proud of those titles as well.  Would you rather a Regional Championship, or a District Championship?  Give me a Regional Championship everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  I'd rather playoff runs every year and never win one stinkin District Championship, but that's just me.  Answer me this, if a coach won the District Championship every year, but bowed out in the first round of the playoffs every year, would he be successful... answer is this, NO.  Great coaches are focused on one thing, a State Championship, I don't care how they sugar coat it with coachisms, they are gearing up for a State Championship, not a District Championship.  That means get in the playoffs however it happens and then make your run.  If everything falls into place you get both.

I wonder if the West Brook team of 82 would rather trade that ring for a District Championship.

I would love to poll the Jacksonville's, Bay City's, Texas City's, Friendswood's, Brenham's, (21-4A "insert first round victim)... I'd love to poll them and ask them if they know that Nederland has not won a District Championship in the past decade that they have been battling toe to toe during the playoffs.  I think two things, I think each one of these communities knows and remembers Nederland, ie they haven't been forgotten, and I doubt a handful in their towns would even know that Nederland hasn't won one.

All of this to say, I think 2-3 round playoff runs on a consistent basis, put you on the map and folks don't forget programs like that.  WOS92, WOS/PNG/Newton... they are the marquee programs of the area, but are you saying that a program that has put together 2-3,4 round playoff runs without a district championship is a forgotten program???

So which would you want?  A district championship with a first round bounce or a runner up or a third spot and a state championship game?  Isn't that wat all the spring training and 2 a days and stuff like that for?  That's should be every team's goal.  If you get the district championship on the way, cool.  If not, tough #@*#$.

So which would you want?  A district championship with a first round bounce or a runner up or a third spot and a state championship game?  Isn't that wat all the spring training and 2 a days and stuff like that for?  That's should be every team's goal.  If you get the district championship on the way, cool.  If not, tough #@*#$.

District champs for sure..

Getting to the championship game doesnt mean anything as long as you got that district title  8) 8)

Exactly Soul, today's coaches are focused on priming their team for playoff runs toward the ultimate goal.  Like you said, if a District Championship happens along the way, then so be it.  Survive your district and then make your playoff run.

Are you being serious, if given the choice between playing for the State freakin Championship and winning a local district championship, you'd choose the district championship???  Or are you pulling our leg?

Are you being serious?

I would've thought everyone knew i wasn't serious

:D :D :D

well winning district means you get a better seating which improves your chances of moving through the playoffs.

In 4A, that is only partially true.  If you go Division I, then your first round opponent will also be DI.  It doesn't matter where either one placed in their respective district standings.  However, if you go DII, then yes, the first round opponent will be the lowest seed from the opposing district. 

Guest LSU FOOTBALL

IMO, District championships has lost it's luster these days.  With the advent of multiple teams making the playoffs, it more impressive to win playoff games and make it to regionals. 

just my opinion.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder