Colbert said it wasn't his idea!!

Colbert says quitting not his idea

Dean Colbert said it wasn't his idea to step down as the only athletic director and head football coach in the history of Memorial High.

The coach, who had a four-year record of 22-18 at Memorial and a 6-4 mark in one year at Thomas Jefferson, also took issue with the reported timing of his decision to quit.

Superintendent Willis Mackey said when Colbert handed in his letter of resignation Jan. 6 that Colbert had told him of his intention to step down "a few days" after the Nov. 11 end of a 2-5 football season.

"That wasn't true. There was no mention of me resigning until right before the Christmas holidays," Colbert said Monday.

Port Arthur school board trustees say at their Dec. 15 meeting they were told by Mackey that Colbert had agreed to resign by Jan. 6.

But Colbert said he didn't decide to quit for sure until a Christmas visit with his family in Pittsburgh, Pa.

"From the end of the season on, I had to submit an evaluation of the athletic department," Colbert said. "I had two meetings (with the superintendent). The resignation wasn't discussed until the week before the holidays.

"It wasn't my own decision (to resign). It was put to me like "Probably the best thing for me to do was resign.

"And then I started thinking the same thing -- when I talked to my mom and my family over the holidays -- that it probably would be in my best interest to resign."

Colbert was hired Jan. 10 as head football coach at Humble's new Atascocita High.

Well for something that wasn't planned' date=' he sure landed on his feet pretty well![/quote']This whole thing is BS. He knew he was either going to have to resign or get fired. If you have a Jamaal Charles and a Robert Joseph AND a Jeremy McZeal on your team you should go past the first round of the playoffs at least to the 4th round. I wouldn't fault him for last season since that idiot Rita came with her greetings.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33