BH, Sterling, Lee

From the Baytown Sun

Fans and coaches gather at Pigskin Preview

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun 

Published August 3, 2007

By the end of the Third Annual Pigskin Preview at the Cedar Bayou United Methodist Church, the coaches of Lee, Sterling and Barbers Hill could all agree on one thing — the brisket was outstanding.

The preview, which was hosted by the Methodist Men, brought local football fans together to hear coaches go over the upcoming season. The proceeds from the preview are given to the Helping Hands Ministry.

Barbers Hill head coach Don Price spoke first and outlined the differences from last year. In 2006, the Eagles boasted a senior class of 31 but will be inexperienced this season with two part-time starters returning on the offensive line and three starters returning on defense.

“It will be a different year but a fun year,†Price said. “We will always have expectations.â€

The Eagles will suit up 165 from grades 9-12.

Sterling head coach Herb Minyard explained how the Rangers expect to perform much better this season by paying attention to the details and eliminating mistakes following a 3-7 season.

“I think we will be a better team this season,†Minyard said. “I hope as a coach we have a better record. We fumbled the ball away 29 times in 10 games last year.We have to pay attention to the

details and that is why I think we will have a better team.â€

New offensive coordinator Scott Large was introduced to the crowd and echoed Minyard’s goal of taking care of the ball.

“The number one thing will be to take care of the ball and not beat ourselves,†Large said. “We are going to work the kids and preach expectations.â€

The bright spot of the Ranger team last season was the defense, which ranked second in the district in total yardage allowed. Coordinator Chad Haynes will enter his second season at Sterling and stated his expectations for the team as a whole.

“Coach Large will make my job easier,†Haynes said. “Last year we did not perform to our potential. This year we will. I don’t know how that will translate to wins on the field.â€

Lee head coach Dick Olin was the final speaker of the evening and spoke about the success that the Ganders enjoyed during 7-on-7 this summer and the expectations this season for the 2006 District 21-5A Co-Champions.

“Dave Campbell’s is nice and good but it doesn’t mean anything,†Olin said.

Olin addressed the job that Josh Jones did at quarterback this summer after transferring from Strake Jesuit. Returning quarterback Octavio Torres will back Jones up at quarterback and will see time at wide receiver. Olin also addressed the injury situation of returning wide receiver Michael Mahan who broke his jaw in 7-on-7. Mahan received a plate and is expected to return for the Kingwood game.

Offensive coordinator Clint Riley went over the returning starters with special recognition given to returning running back Jarvis Moore.

“He is a four-year starter who rushed for 1,500 yards last year,†Riley said. “I don’t know if anyone has done that since I have been here.â€

Defensive coordinator Mark Crooms also spoke about the returning starters from the defense and lined out where he expects the strength of the unit to be.

“The defensive line will be the strongest part of the team,†Crooms said. “We will also be strong at safety with two returning starters. We have a lot of kids back and I think the North Shore game put us over the hill.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami