Anthony Fazio Headed To Rice!

Oh so no more USC? I didn't think rice gave out full scholarships? Ive never heard of them......

His USC remains as a verbal @ 90%. Rice has the ability to give 100% of ALL tuition, books and fees, Rice never gives $$ for living expenses to anyone. So Rice classifies this as a 100%. Now you have heard of such a thing.....

Guest Bulldog

His USC remains as a verbal @ 90%. Rice has the ability to give 100% of ALL tuition, books and fees, Rice never gives $$ for living expenses to anyone. So Rice classifies this as a 100%. Now you have heard of such a thing.....

Thank you....

Will that count as 1 of their 11.7 scholarships?  Never have seen this kid play, maybe once. Looking forward to watching him in the future.

Is anyone keeping up with the new recruiting rules for 2008? Very interesting.

Yes this is the first of both Rice and USC's 11.7 scholarships. My understanding is that the majority of baseball coaches look for what they call tier 1 pitchers, they try to secure 1 to 3 of these type athletes depending on their needs, then the remaining of the scholarships fall into place with catchers next and then position players. This is my understanding coming from Head Coach Chad Kreuter from USC.

This is a wonderful accomplishment for Anthony.  Rice is a top tier program and this is quite an honor.

If they do not give living expenses (approx 1/2) then it is really 50%...at least per NCAA and their 11.7 schollies.  Either was, a great deal for Anthony.  Congrats to him and his Mom and Dad.

This is a wonderful accomplishment for Anthony.  Rice is a top tier program and this is quite an honor.

If they do not give living expenses (approx 1/2) then it is really 50%...at least per NCAA and their 11.7 schollies.  Either was, a great deal for Anthony.  Congrats to him and his Mom and Dad.

I will verify with Mr. Fazio, he has the documentation from the Rice coaches. I will inform when I get clarification. Baseball is always so different from football, I can recite the data on the football contracts backwards.

I will verify with Mr. Fazio, he has the documentation from the Rice coaches. I will inform when I get clarification. Baseball is always so different from football, I can recite the data on the football contracts backwards.

Spoke with Mr. Fazio....Here are the #'s, the cost of tuition at Rice including ALL books and fees is 31,966.00..Cost of room and board is 10,000.00 on campus. This equates to 76% for the NCAA for schollies of the 11.7. As for the terms of scholarship to the athlete and parents, Rice defines as a 100% of education for the 4 year term. Which they have committed to Anthony. Anyway you look at this it is a 4 year education at Rice University for doing something you love to do, play baseball.

Just curious.....What summer team did / does Fazio play for ? 

Oh, by the way,  10,000 students apply to get into Rice University per year.

They accept only 800 !   Nice Job Anthony.

Houston team (the name escapes me right now).  They were in Georgia last week.  I'll have to look them up.

Houston team (the name escapes me right now).  They were in Georgia last week.  I'll have to look them up.

The Houston Slam. Coached by Glen Estopinal, St. Johns head baseball coach. Stope as everyone calls him, has alot of contacts, especially on the west coast.

Hey Sam, is this team "Slam' headed up by Mike Rutledge?? I know he has for yrs taken some of the best in the Houston area on the road to showcase the boys. I've never met anyone that is as 'hooked up' as he is with major D1 schools and Pro scouts. I know in our case, my son was placed on a 'invite only' team in Rutleges Fall league by a Rangers scout. From what I've read it sounds like the Rangers now do their own thing with prospects. Mike was and probally still is over the Kyle Chapman Pony @ Bayland Park and has made SEVERAL trips to the Palimeno World Series. Wherever and whoever he plays for I wish him the best of luck, and to you my friend >>enjoy the ride. 

Mike Rutledge runs three teams out of the Kyle Chapman league. ( Red, White, Blue).  He is extremely well connected and has one of the top programs in the nation.  Kyle Chapman as well as the Houston Heat have won some pretty serious championships in the last few years but both programs are set up to showcase the players talent not so much to win championships. Heat hold tryouts every year and carries a lot of players on the roster. KC is by invite only and carries a smaller roster.  Some local Kyle Chapman Players include : Aaron Thompson - Kelly (Marlins) ,  Collin Delome - Buna, Lamar, (Astros) - Knox McCorquodale - LCM, Arkansas, NW state,  Local Houston Heat Players include: Jay Bruce - Westbrook (Reds),  James & Micheal Ewing - Westbrook, Southern Miss. Just to name a few. ( I am sure there are some I have missed, I'm getting Old (er) ). There are other fine programs in the Houston and Golden triangle area but they don't quite have the National reputation these two teams have garnered.

No, Mike runs Kyle Chapman out of Houston.  Great program.  They have both a league and select teams.  Aaron Thompson (grew up here, moved to Houston, drafted 1st round) played for him in the summers.  Really good program and really a good guy.

Mike has a reputation that allows him to get who he wants on his team and as said one of the most influential guys that I know. Thats why I recommended on another thread on the WB boys going there in the fall to play but they would have to expand their team somewhat so as not to get embarrased. I dought any kids on Mikes teams has played in any Little League santioned team in yrs. He is so respected by college coaches he could call most any coach asking to play tomorrow and they would have the field mowed, chalked and ready for his teams arrival. hes been doing this for 10-15 yrs I know of.

This is great news for a local kid who has been under the radar on the local scene. Did Gilligan have any interest?   

Is Anthony a Sr to be? From other post they have a catcher at Kelly who can play also.   

Anthony will be a senior, graduating  2008.

Yes the catcher at Kelly, Landon Steinhagen, very impresssive and has a big bat. He too is under the radar screen. He is playing for the Sundevils as well as the Houston Slam. A definite D1 class act...

Gilligan was notified during our Kelly baseball season to come out and view more than once and never showed or sent anyone to watch. We would have loved the local interest, you just never know....

Hey Sam, is this team "Slam' headed up by Mike Rutledge?? I know he has for yrs taken some of the best in the Houston area on the road to showcase the boys. I've never met anyone that is as 'hooked up' as he is with major D1 schools and Pro scouts. I know in our case, my son was placed on a 'invite only' team in Rutleges Fall league by a Rangers scout. From what I've read it sounds like the Rangers now do their own thing with prospects. Mike was and probally still is over the Kyle Chapman Pony @ Bayland Park and has made SEVERAL trips to the Palimeno World Series. Wherever and whoever he plays for I wish him the best of luck, and to you my friend >>enjoy the ride. 

Thank you. Anthony is enjoying and is so very appreciative for the opportunity.

Sam, I told my dad (82)about you n your son, I didnt know if he would remember you, he sat a min and smiled amd said Sam was a little slow off the mound at times but was probably one of the best in the area at that time. Told me to tell you and yours congrats and the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Go to where we met and thank the guy that runs the place. All the best W

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298