Swinging for the FENCE !

This sickness has spread like the plague.

There are several players in the area that would be D-1 candidates or even be drafted if they knew how to play the game offensively! I cant tell you how many times I have been sitting back there, when there are runners in scoring position, only to have "Mr. I Gotta Hit a Homer" step to the plate and do all the wrong things. I realize that coaches give the signals but 99.9% of the time, coach is looking for a base hit or a well placed bunt if called for. Homers are exciting and get the crowd going but I believe we have placed way to much emphasis on the Long-Ball and have somehow tainted the game!

WHAT HAVE WE CREATED ?????

I guess these are now curse words:

BUNT

SQUEEZE

SAC

TAKE IT THE OTHER WAY

PUT IT ON THE GROUND

So On and So On ............

Bears,

I have seen them BEARS play and I wrote the comment with one of them in mind !!! This kid could be the next Jay Bruce, maybe even better. I have been around baseball for 40 years and talents like him are few and far between. If someone could get that loop out of his swing he would/should be hitting 400+ avg. and the HR's would be incredible, not to focus on one kid because I see this on every team in every game. :D

Will11,

You have all of the answers. You should become a coach. You know when to "BUNT, SQUEEZE, SAC, TAKE IT THE OTHER WAY, PUT IT ON THE GROUND", and teach kids that are hitting .400 to hit .400+.

Did you also know that the kid you are referring to has over 150 hits in his career, but with your help, he would be zeroing in on the 300 mark.

He also has the most hits in a season in the 30 year history his school. (which is somewhere in the ballpark of 53)

Somebody fix this kid before he does not take his team to the playoffs.

Never mind he already has (four times)

Somebody fix him before he breaks numerous school hitting records.

Never mind he already has.

Somebody fix him before he does not receive a D-1 scholarship.

Some body tell his coach to give him the bunt sign.

Somebody fix him before he does not develop into one of the finest young men in southeast texas baseball.

Never mind! He already has!

I think its pretty clear you 2 folks are debating Clayton Ehlert over at LCM. What a fine player. As set out in the previous post, his success in high school has been tremendous (and I believe over the next several weeks it will continue).

I also think that Clayton would tell us that, if he can get better, he wants to. I happen to know that for a fact. He may have been born with a fair amount of God-given talent but he has become a great baseball player through hard work. The equation remains true: Talent + Work = Great Success.

In this sense, I think both of the 2 competing posts are right. I don't know about the Jay Bruce analogy -- that is always uncomfortable. I think Clayton would tell you he doesn't want to be the next Jay Bruce -- he wants to be the first Clayton Ehlert.

Great player, great kid, great family.

I think its pretty clear you 2 folks are debating Clayton Ehlert over at LCM. What a fine player. As set out in the previous post' date=' his success in high school has been tremendous (and I believe over the next several weeks it will continue).

I also think that Clayton would tell us that, if he can get better, he wants to. I happen to know that for a fact. He may have been born with a fair amount of God-given talent but he has become a great baseball player through hard work. The equation remains true: Talent + Work = Great Success.

In this sense, I think both of the 2 competing posts are right. I don't know about the Jay Bruce analogy -- that is always uncomfortable. I think Clayton would tell you he doesn't want to be the next Jay Bruce -- he wants to be the first Clayton Ehlert.

Great player, great kid, great family.[/quote']

Yeah, but he talks too much! :P

WOW !!!!!

I wish I could become a coach, but those guys are of a special breed!

I do not have all of the answers just some good down home advice!

I too believe that he is a super kid with super talent, but everyone could stand a little help!

I am not trying to step on any toes here, I know Griff is probably one of the best coaches in the State but sometimes it helps to have a different view!

I know He has probably broken every record that stood before him and congrats on that. BUT I think this kid could be and probably will be playing in the Bigs one day! Just trying to help him along. You cant tell me that if he were to maybe on occasion take it the other way or lay back and rip it up the middle his numbers wouldnt be off the charts !

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

The problem with mechanical comments like that is that it gets in a kid's head and THEY try to correct it in small increments until they have totally undone what was working for them all along.

I agree with the old coach 100%

Agree with Bears...that post had to be a joke. And 3A Birdman is right on when he says 'if you know the kid'.

I would say this -- you don't do mechanical changes in-season. It does get in the kid's head. That is what the off season is for.

I do apologize for any hard feelings I may have caused.

I totaly disagree with the statement that you cannot change anything mechanicaly during the season !

Lets see, Larry Walker completly changed his stance and won the batting title and almost challenged the .400 mark. Lance Berkman just last season moved his front foot four inches forward, toe in, and I think he finished the season on fire and has continued to do so this year. Sammy Sosa was asked by his hitting coach while at Texas to drop his hands, he refused to do so until his 3rd or 4th season with Chicago---Never mind he was juicing bad example.... My point is if we stand in the same spot and do the same thing dont we become predictable ?

I knew a guy who used to coach local hitters and most of the time his guys were the tops in every catagory. He told me during a game to tell a certain district leading catcher to concentrate on his front foot stepping to close and not even look at the baseball so I did, maybe I wasnt supposed to but I did. Needless to say his 2nd at bat he went down swinging not even sniffing the ball, but he hit a triple then a homer his next 2 at bats and went on to lead the district in avg and HR's.

MIF04 im sorry buddy put the whole equation (Talent + Hardword=Great Success) isnt so true...just go ask every football player in shepherd, texas...they have talent and they bust their butts in the weight room and on the practice field year around but they have yet to make the playoffs because they have had the luxury of playing jasper silsbee and kirbyville...so yes i know this is off the baseball subject but i just thought i would throw this in there...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder