What is the best football tradition school in Texas

Guest Horns79

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tvc

Stephenville is one of the smaller 4A schools in the state they may have only brought 8,000 fans you can bet they were louder than PNG.

stephenvilleyellowjackets.com to see some of their traditions

I was there and they were not louder.  The only thing they had loud was those noise making bottles. If they had relied on their crowd, they would have been blown out of the stadium.

I was there and they were not louder.  The only thing they had loud was those noise making bottles. If they had relied on their crowd, they would have been blown out of the stadium.

They are not bottles they are cans, and that is one of the TRADITIONS of Stephenville.

Not real sure about tradition, but I will say the most spirited team I can think of is PNG... They fill the stands year in and year out... Cant stand em, but they have the spirit... Nederland does too, but seems like if we have a bad year, people find other things to do on Friday night...

• 2 weeks later...

I am a graduate of Baytown Lee and I always admired Port Arthur TJ's "tradition."  I was sorry to see the school changed.  I thought their school song and fight song were awesome.  I also enjoyed their drum and bugle corp for many years. 

I was in 2nd through 5th grade during the PNG state playoff runs in the 1970's...

No school has come close to putting fans in the stands as PNG did in the Etheridge dynasty.  I was there in the 1977 state championship game in Dallas along with 49,500 others.  Although very young, those games in the Astrodome are among the greatest memories of my childhood.  I don't know of many schools that teach the kids the high school fight song before the pledge of allegiance or national anthem.  You are raised to be an Indian at PNG and your blood is purple forever.  In my opinion in this part of the state, nothing beats a Friday night game at PNG.  I am so glad the kids in Dayton finally got to play there last year.  To play a game in a stadium that has almost 8,000 people on the other side is just AWEsome.  In my opinion Permian, Plano, and PNG are the top three.

Well, Texas is kinda BIG and I can't speak for schools outside of our area, except Permian. I know a little about them.

In setx I would pick PNG and I would have to mention the winning traditions at WOS and Newton. Also, I don't think anybody has a better halftime show than Bmt. Central except for Vidor on homecoming night.

• 3 months later...

I was in 2nd through 5th grade during the PNG state playoff runs in the 1970's...

No school has come close to putting fans in the stands as PNG did in the Etheridge dynasty.  I was there in the 1977 state championship game in Dallas along with 49,500 others.  Although very young, those games in the Astrodome are among the greatest memories of my childhood.  I don't know of many schools that teach the kids the high school fight song before the pledge of allegiance or national anthem.  You are raised to be an Indian at PNG and your blood is purple forever.  In my opinion in this part of the state, nothing beats a Friday night game at PNG.  I am so glad the kids in Dayton finally got to play there last year.  To play a game in a stadium that has almost 8,000 people on the other side is just AWEsome.  In my opinion Permian, Plano, and PNG are the top three.

I agree!

Guest coachhooker

I all rmember when i was in middle school and high school and even college and now was KATY filling in the stands and filling up the dome with 3 state championships and 6 title games

Katy might have drawn some big crowds but I would be rather disappointed if a team from Houston playing for the state championship in Houston (with a population of several million) could not fill up the Dome. At that point they are the only game in town.

PN-G filling their seats about a six hour drive away is a bit different.

"Not real sure about tradition, but I will say the most spirited team I can think of is PNG... They fill the stands year in and year out... Cant stand em, but they have the spirit... Nederland does too, but seems like if we have a bad year, people find other things to do on Friday night..."

Much respect for that post.. i am a PNG grad of 06 and i respect the crowd nederland brings to MCM.. Thanks for the respect... lol i know it was hard for u

if you are going strictly by "tradition" and not most titles or anything else of that sort it would definately have to be PN-G...you tell me one other team in the state that remotely compares to PN-G and i would gladly go shake their hand...and then scalp em'

No doubt PNG Has great tradition, but there are others who would compare

Brownwood,MoJo,Stephenville

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder