Lumberton's Superstar

After watching the Lum. Central game i would like to say first congrats to Lumberton, they played hard and earned that win and Second, i think Yea-Yea or Brent Waldrup could possibly be the most over-rated athlete(not just soccer) in SETX. (I know you cant judge on just one game but sorry get over it i am.)

There were 3 stand-out players on the Lumberton team and Brent Waldrup was not one of them. My hat goes off to number 11(forward), 14(defender), and Scott Poole. Honestly i saw Waldrup control the ball at most 5 times and twice he passed to nobody, once he lost it (and he was not being marked), and finally i will give it to him he had ONE good through ball. Even further, Fernando was leaps and bounds better than Waldrup. When my team played them it was the beggining of the season but he didnt stand out in that game either. I really dont see how people could even agrue that he is even close to being the best player in SETX when there are people on his own team that are better than him. i understand that he MUST have had an off night tonight or better yet he was just totally shut down, but even when he is playing up to par i still dont see how he could be better than other members of his team. Now i know ive been bashing him pretty hard and i will state he is a better player than i am(not saying that like its some kind of accomplishment) but i dont see how anyone could rank him with people like Fernando or Matt Kirby.

im not gonna say he didnt have a bad game against central cause i wasnt there to see...but what i do know is that  at the nederland - lumberton game the score was 1-0 nederland at half time and in the second half yea yea dominated the game and carried his team to victory...everyone has a bad gaame here and there ....even the pro's...i think maybe you should give him another chance to impress you before you say hes not worth the hype

Well JCB, the other players you mentioned for Lumberton are good, in fact, great soccer players, however you ask any of them who the team mvp should be and i can assure you they would tell you it is without a doubt Brent Waldrup.  And i can also assure you that they have seen him in action much more than you.

Yeah-Yeah, being the "Great Athlete" that he is goes out and does whatever his job is to the best of his ability.  Im sorry if it didnt seem to you that his job vs. Cetnral was to go be a Superstar but he did his JOB almost to perfection (Hence Central having only 6 shots on goal).  And that is part of what has, is, and will in the future always make him a great athlete, a super young man, and a spectacular soccer player. 

First, KFDM Coop, do you know what soccer is?

Second, Dogbone how does central only having six shots on goal have anything to do with Waldrup, for the greater part of the game he was either playing forward or offensive midfield so that really does not directly affect shots on goal at all. If your going to congratulate someone congratulate the defense. 

Third SoccerFan, Waldrup may have scored 30 goals but against who.  they have played 19 or 20 district games, most against average to really bad teams, like LCM, OZEN, PNG, WOS, HJ, these are by far NOT soccer power houses.  Let's see how many goals he would score against houston teams or lousiana teams or even private school teams.

I think yea yea is a great player... I think he is ranked up there with the best.... Maybe he needs to play his game and not worry so much about all the "stuff" that is said about him... Play like he use tooo when he more of a show boat and little dirty... That made him stand out from those players that had the same skill but did not do the little things in the game that counted... thats just my mind ... I wish i would have went to the game.... Congrats Lumberton.... Good luck in the playoffs ----

JCB you are a punk for not letting me know you where going .. i would have gone =) you will making that up next year ... when we start back up with them min thritys ....

Well JCB, I have seen all of the players you have mentioned play this season.  In all the games I have seen Waldrup was the most impressive.  He has great ball control and change of speed.  I am not saying the others don't, but again he was the most impressive.  Also, if you are so knowledgeable in soccer then you would know that it takes all 11 players on the field giving a great defensive effort to beat a good team.  Attacking mids have defensive respoinsibilities as do forwards.  If you need a detailed explanation, I can post one for you.

i am going to have hand at Kelly.... I am putting my time into my other job... other than soccer - which i have found very hard haha (once soccer is in your blood, its hard to get out) .... I do not think i will be the head coach. I do not have the time to devote myself to the program like I have had in years past... I am still training at Select though......

"Even further, Fernando was leaps and bounds better than Waldrup."

"Third Soccerfan, Waldrup may have scored 30 goals but against who?"

JCB, I believe they played the same teams and not only does Waldrup have more goals but more assists as well. 

I could be wrong, but it looked to me that Brent played forward for not even half of the first half and then defending midfielder for the remainder of the game.  And he did a great job of it.

Soccerfanatic, A center midfielders MAIN goal is to conrol the game and create scoring oppurtunites for his forwards,no matter if hes defensive or offensive center. as far as i could see Waldrup did none of this adn the way people talk aboput him he should have been able to do this at least a little on even an off night. dont get me wrong the the purpose of this post was to state the Brent Waldrup is OVERRATED not a bad player. As i saw Central was a very uneven team with good players and bad players. If Waldrup is what people say he is he would have been to run circles around that team.

Dog bone, you are taking what i said out of context those are two diffrent posts. i was commenting on what i saw in that game and even as Fernando got frustrated with his team he still played better.

P.S.

Jlamar im sorry i didnt think to call that is my fault but instead of minute thirties could i do joeicides? you know those are my favorite.

Guest Soccerfan

so what you are saying that he is OVERATED because he didnt play spectacular against Central. When did one game  make you overated? Central is a very good team and they always had a guy standing right next to Waldrup and as soona s he got the ball 4 players swarmed to him everytime. Now JCB, if he were overated i assure you the central coach would not have given him that much attention.I am sorry but you obvioulsy share that opinion alone.

Jcb first off i must agree that you are the only one that appears to have the irrational inclination to think that Brent Waldrup is in anyway an overrated player. Fernando is a very good player that is undeniable and i will admit that but he was able to play better because even at the direst of times during the game he was marked by 1 maybe 2 people and a supporting third at times and he was shut down for the most part. However ask the central players(they stated this after the game when asked) that they were told when Yeah-yeah touch the ball for everyone to collapse on him from what i heard and if you were at the game you  noticed that at times he had as many as 4,5, & 6 people sink towards him. I dont care how good of a soccer player you are when playing on a high school caliber team it is an a near impossible task to dribble through that or to even get a ball out of that kind coverage, off night or otherwise. And im sorry you feel that he is overrated but he has played many extraordinary games this year, above and beyond what could be asked of many people. He was a driving force behind the lumberton team and along with the extraordinary efforts contributed from many at the end of the day helped to bring home the win. Congratulations Lumberton and Keep up the good work

Hey jcb, if someone started a thread sarcastically titled "Kelly's Superstar" and went on to claim that Matt Kirby was overrated based on the one scrimmage and one game that he saw, do you think that you'd come to your teammate's defense? 

Your opinion is great, and I love the fact that you obviously have a knowledge of the game, and more importantly, I appreciate the fact that you attended a game in which you had no rooting interest, just there for the love of the game.

And don't take this next question as me being a wisenheimer, I'd really like to know your opinion:  If Matt had played the role of Brent last night, would he have done much more?  If so, how so?

Guys.... Yeah Yeah is a GREAT player..... I've played against Waldrup AND Fernando and they are both amazing. I dont think that Waldrup is over rated, he was over shadowed by Matt Kirby until everyone found out his stats a few weeks back. In my honest opinion, I think yeah yeah and Fernando are the best two players in the district. I've been man marked before and I know I was able to produce like I normally could. Give him some credit, he did carry his team to a district championship.

VPsoccer15, I must take exception to your comment that Brent Waldrup "carried his team to a championship". Lumberton's fantastic season was about the entire team, not just one person. As most people who have seen Lumberton play will say, it was a full team effort - midfielders, defenders, goalie, forwards - and let's not forget the bench and coaching staff. It was a total team effort that brought home a district championship. (plus a little help from PN-G)

Brent has excellent skills with the ball. It would be hard to argue otherwise. His weakness tends to be using those skills to excess. Instead of depending on his teammates and passing the ball, he continues to dribble (head down) into trouble until he is shut down by several defenders (hence the Central game??). If other players from Lumberton (#11, #6, #7, and others too numerous to mention) had not risen to the occasion (or "stepped up" as many like to say) the outcome of the season could have been different. There have been games when Brent has used his teammates to his advantage - passing, sprinting for a hole, receiving a pass and scoring. I believe Brent will begin to recognize this weakness and will work to overcome it as he continues to play. When he does...watch out soccer world!

With all the forum comments, pro and con, I think we sometimes get carried away with individuals. "It_Takes_11_to_Win" has the right concept. Yes, there will always be standouts on teams. We need to remember, however, they are all young men (and women) who are continuing to develop, mature, and improve as soccer players. We should be careful not to elevate them too high. Instead elevate their teams and the team play that brings many to the forefront and creates champions.

First i would like to address Nike and Soccerfan with one question..WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING? at most waldrup had a steady coverage of maybe two men, and thats a huge maybe. to say six or seven men came onto him is completely asinine. And id say its going a little bit far when you say central is very good team.. for sure they have some excellent players(Fernando for example) but to be completely honest Lumberton-Central game was one of the most unexciting games ive been to in a while. The only thing that really stood out is that Lumberton looked like they wanted it more and worked harder.

And Bon-Mot to answer your first question OF COURSE i would come to his defense, if i didnt i wouldnt really be a good teamate now would i. and even further im not saying this just because i am a good teamate but in all honesty Matt Kirby never played one game this year like that. In fact there are other members of the Kelly team and most likely other players in SETX who would never have a night like that. Please let me get this straight though i am not knocking the Lumberton team and im glad to see people standing up for him thats great and thats what you should do if you are a teamate or a true fan of the said person. 

To answer your second question yes he would have done much much more,  Matt is a playmaker, in my honest opinion Matt would have had two goals by the end of that game, because Centrals defense looked to be young and inexperienced, if i could see that form the stands then Matt for sure would have been able to see that on the field(because he is a far better and smarter player than i am). Matt would have exploited the Central defensive weaknesses and dribbled through them. Further if matt was working with the Kelly team i believe that he would have had many more shots on goal and possibly more goals but thats only because he is used to playing with Kelly and as a whole team Kelly would most likey dominated either team.. because we could keep it in bounds for more than three passes in a row.

Lastley, wellread i really enjoyed your post and i agree with what you said.

Yes i am well aware of the fact that the central team's defense had its "holes" and weakness's and for the majority of the night was content with simply kicking the ball away whether it be upfield or out of bounds.However the film for this game was watched today and there was at least twice that he had five players defending him and once where at least 7 started to sink towards him on the outside. now all be it, it was not a full mark for the entirety of the game but still quite an obstacle to be taken on. And yes by all means it was a tremendous team effort by the lumberton TEAM and i applaud those players who stepped up to take on the challenge.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder