Did the Beaumont Enterprise get its preseason picks right?

DannyShapiroBE

1 hour ago, LastBearStanding17 said:

How are those cards going to be next year?

It's hard to say...  I know that RBs Denton and Baker, as well as QB Dubois will all be gone.  That leaves RBs Lara, Ply and Hamm as the base of next years offensive attack.  I also expect Skinner to start at QB.... he's shown signs that he will be fine in the QB slot, but we just haven't seen a lot out of him this year.  

I expected a young O-line this year to mature, but honestly, the o-line this year wasn't a group of sophomores like I'd expected.... we're losing several guys to graduation over there, plus most of our linebackers and some key pieces of our d-line.  

Here's the deal, and I hated to say anything before the season was up.... We'd heard rumors all spring and summer that some of (or a lot of) the kids were mailing it in during the offseason, so to speak. The story is that the team kind of expected to repeat last years successes without necessarily putting in the work.  I honestly can't say whether this true or not, so take it for what it's worth... just an opinion from somebody who probably doesn't know what they're talking about.  I've wondered how much of our injury bug was a result of half-hearted workouts which resulted in kids who were weaker and smaller and ended up injured.  We fight it every year when a lot of our kids play baseball and avoid the strength training and track workouts that really end up producing results on the football field.  

My opinion is this, and I don't want to discount the effect that the injuries had on our results, but ....  most of the group that graduated last year suffered through a 2-8 season in 2014.  They didn't like it and bought into Coach Dubois (the new coach that spring) and his philosophy.  It took a 2-8 to get the results from the last two years.  I think if the kids who return next year become leaders in the off season program and commit to improving and enjoying success, we'll be back in the mix for 2018. Or we can just continue being cellar dwellers... it'll really be determined by the team before two-a-days start next summer.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's hard to say...  I know that RBs Denton and Baker, as well as QB Dubois will all be gone.  That leaves RBs Lara, Ply and Hamm as the base of next years offensive attack.  I also expect Skinner to start at QB.... he's shown signs that he will be fine in the QB slot, but we just haven't seen a lot out of him this year.  

I expected a young O-line this year to mature, but honestly, the o-line this year wasn't a group of sophomores like I'd expected.... we're losing several guys to graduation over there, plus most of our linebackers and some key pieces of our d-line.  

Here's the deal, and I hated to say anything before the season was up.... We'd heard rumors all spring and summer that some of (or a lot of) the kids were mailing it in during the offseason, so to speak. The story is that the team kind of expected to repeat last years successes without necessarily putting in the work.  I honestly can't say whether this true or not, so take it for what it's worth... just an opinion from somebody who probably doesn't know what they're talking about.  I've wondered how much of our injury bug was a result of half-hearted workouts which resulted in kids who were weaker and smaller and ended up injured.  We fight it every year when a lot of our kids play baseball and avoid the strength training and track workouts that really end up producing results on the football field.  

My opinion is this, and I don't want to discount the effect that the injuries had on our results, but ....  most of the group that graduated last year suffered through a 2-8 season in 2014.  They didn't like it and bought into Coach Dubois (the new coach that spring) and his philosophy.  It took a 2-8 to get the results from the last two years.  I think if the kids who return next year become leaders in the off season program and commit to improving and enjoying success, we'll be back in the mix for 2018. Or we can just continue being cellar dwellers... it'll really be determined by the team before two-a-days start next summer.

I have feeling we might be down there with y’all