Would you support a metal bat ban?

Would you support a metal bat ban?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a metal bat ban?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bat material doesn't matter.
    • Undecided

Spin off of Coop's post. I would like to know what everyone thinks about this. Does it make a difference if the bat is metal or wood?

I think it does if metal bats didn't make the ball fly further, faster, etc.. then why do we spend the money on them?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One reason that metal bats are more expensive than wood bats is because of how long they last. They tend to have a lot longer "life span" than wood bats. Composite bats are more expensive than wood bats as well because they last longer as well. A metal bat for the most part has a 1-2 yr warranty. Wood bats usually dont last 2 months. Not dismissing the fact that balls quiet possibly could come off the bat harder and go further but just a reason the bats are so pricey

Guest Penny

Metal bats absolutely provide an advantage over wooden bats in terms of speed the ball leaves the bat.  You would find the really good hitters using a wooden bat, but I can't see schools being able to support the cost, so probably won't happen.

I dont think a complete ban of metal bats is the answer. The metal they are using today is a harder lighter metal with a stronder recoil.

I say we just go back to using those old TRUE ALUMINUM bats, they have about as much pop as a Wood but last next too forever.

Back when I played there were only a handfull of players that could Hit the Long ball, I was not one of them. I purchased my older son a TPX 30" 21.5 oz. bat back 8 or 9 years ago and we went to the field to check it out. I used this new bat for hitting him some pop-ups in the out field and just using one hand I was able to send the ball atleast 280ft. I would love to say I was bigger and stronger, but not so I was as my kids call it "bowed up" in school.

I vote bring back them old "FENCE POST" bats and lets play some real baseball ;D

when i played ball i asked a coach one time how come wood bats were not used as much as metal bats in little league through college?  he said a lot of it had to do with the wood bats breaking and causing injury.  personally, i dont think metal bats should be banned in high school, but i do think they need to be banned in college. 

My inclination would be to support a metal bat ban. That being said, it's scary to think that sports precedent is being set by the NY City Council...

Interesting point, but the fact is, if it is banned up there we will be hearing about it here pretty soon, I bet.

I would love to see HS go back to wood bat if (and this is a big if) the NCAA would follow suit.

Minor and Major League Baseball use wood bats.  Colleges do not.  I think there should be uniformity from the top on down.  As far as cost, alum bats cost $300.  You could buy 4 or 5 wood bats for that (unless you had to have a 'Sam' bat, then only 2 or 3).  I think the cost issue is minimal.  You could also approve composite wood bats which would add to the bats longevity.  I do think there is a safety issue as well but, in the long run, it is about the game...and I simply like it better with wood (although I am sure we are all guilty of this:  when your kid 'mishits' a ball with aluminum but it still somehow jumps thru the infield for a hit, then you gotta think "Thank goodness for aluminum).

I vote wood.

its amazing how much these bats cost nowadays.  my dad bought me a TPX 31 inch, 25 ounce aluminum bat in 1990 and it was $60.  the owner of the sporting goods store gave me a free Louisville Slugger wood bat of the same size with my aluminum bat.  i remember seeing the price tag on it and it was $18.  i wonder how much wood bats cost today?

Most expensive bat is probably Sam Bat, around $140-150.  Demarini sells a maple bat for $125.  Other maple bats are around $75.  A Rawlings 'Big Stick' is around $20.  It depends if you get maple or ash, quality of wood, etc.  Heck, George Brett sells bamboo bats.

The new Easton Stealth alum?  $379. Louisville Exogrid?  $350.

Well, I have had the experience of having both of my son's play with wood and metal.  I have seen them get hit by a ball from both too.  I can definitely tell you that the injury from the metal bats were much more brutal than the wood.  The reaction time that the player has off a wood bat is more than off a metal bat.  I also think that the game is 'equalized' by a wood bat.  

The minors and pros use wood and the sooner kids that want to play at that level start using wood the better.  I agree that there should be changes from the top down.  The only thing I would hope that it would not change too much would be pitching styles too.  Pitchers have to use alot more movement and placement to pitch to metal than wood too.  I have seen that first hand too.  But if the kids used wood earlier then the hitting would be just as good as if with metal as the adjustment was made.  My humble opinion only.

Who is going to pay for the bats?  The metal bats have been modified (-3) to react more like wood.  Still a big difference.  What about the econ. disadvantage kid who can't afford to buy a bat?  With metal, others will let him borrow theirs or he can use a school bat, how many will let him borrow a bat that might break in one swing? 

the only possible reason i would say to ban metal is for the uniformity from the top down...maybe the best hitters in high school wouldnt be affected too much by the change, but the thing is that a lot of the guys that play arent great hitters. the ball definitely has more pop off of a metal bat, thats why people use them; but thats a good thing, especially for 1a or 2a schools who arent just busting at the seams with high quality hitters. i vote a firm NO BAN

i say not due to the expense of wood bats now

maybe the engineered bats that don't break would be better but real wood would be

a problem for the programs budget.

before you would see it in high school i believe the college level would need to take

a stand for it or against and with the money that is made by the metal bat companies and the amout that they could pump towards the pockets of congressman i don't believe we will see that in the near future.

i say not due to the expense of wood bats now

maybe the engineered bats that don't break would be better but real wood would be

a problem for the programs budget.

before you would see it in high school i believe the college level would need to take

a stand for it or against and with the money that is made by the metal bat companies and the amout that they could pump towards the pockets of congressman i don't believe we will see that in the near future.

If the real reason for a ban was safety then the cost wouldn't be a factor. The cost can be supplemented in many ways, school budgets, fundraisers, booster clubs, etc...

The bottom line is if UIL sets the rule, schools will have to comply.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder