Privilege

TxHoops

I thought it would be interesting what people would pull from this.  If you notice back at the starting point, there wasn’t only one race represented, although to be sure those left behind were predominately minorities.  And the speaker did make one reference to race/ethnicity before starting the kids running.  Some of the criteria related to family (and particularly fatherly) involvement, most all were socio-economic.  

I found it to be very thought provoking on many levels.  

I found it to be devoid of any significance or value. For example, who gets to determine how much a "two parent" family is worth? Is it really worth 2 steps, maybe 6 inches, or maybe 20 steps? Same applies for all of the questions? There is no doubt that socioeconomic status plays a big part, but the amount and significances of each factor is not really known. This example places a fixed and finite measurement to factors that have no measurability...therefore, is just an exercise in propaganda.  If I would have submitted this "experiment" in college I would have undoubtedly received an "F". I'm not so sure now. A Liberal college would probably give me an "A" although the exercise is lacking any scientific standards rendering any conclusions worthless.

Agree Engelbert-  quantifying the "privilege" is very subjective.  I would also question the speaker who, essentially says, if you dont take away from this exercise what I think you should take away from it, you are a fool.  Silly me, I was thinking that if everyone is at the same starting point,  most of the "disprivileged" are the ones with the built in advantage/privilege as evidenced by the racial composition of the NBA and NFL.  ( There is much more to life than the NBA and NFL, but  the author chose to make his analogy with something sports related)

I had a hunch some of you would focus on the race aspect of the video.  You would be unable to discern much of anything else from it.

And you are correct, it deals with subjective matters.  But one can look objectively at subjective matters and begin to make objective findings.  This board is certainly no exception.  Although I wish it were...

6 minutes ago, Ty Cobb said:

I watched and came away thinking about crappy parenting instead of privilege. You see, I have a son and he is not privileged. What he has are parents that care about him more than we care about ourselves. 

That is fair and I think actually one of the video’s greatest themes.  

And I would argue your son is quite privileged.  His parents who love him are infinitely more valuable than money.  

33 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I had a hunch some of you would focus on the race aspect of the video.  You would be unable to discern much of anything else from it.

And you are correct, it deals with subjective matters.  But one can look objectively at subjective matters and begin to make objective findings.  This board is certainly no exception.  Although I wish it were...

If race is not the issue, it would appear that you believe the greater issues lie with family and poverty.  Is there a way to greatly reduce or eliminate poverty and familial dysfunction?  I remember when LBJ declared "The War on Poverty".  Do you consider the methods used to conduct that war to have been effective/successful.  I cannot recall anyone declaring a war on familial dysfunction.  Regarding your "hunch about race" comment.   When half of the country is being declared racist every day by the other half and/or the media, are you surprised that type of response came about?

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I have absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that this "experiment" was setup to focus entirely on race. I'm pretty flabbergasted that this "setup" was staged to evoke a response that you seem surprised at. I refrained from stating it earlier, but this is just another example of propaganda to elicit White guilt. To say it focuses on anything else is pretty naive in my opinion. This is just one in a long line of an increasingly long list of patronizing setups. :disappointedeyes.

How about we go to a Dallas Cowboys practice and run this same experiment. Line all of the players up, tell, them to race for money, then ask, "If you went to a football camp when you were 5 years old, take two steps forward. If your dad brought you to see NFL games when you were a kid take two steps forward. If your dad was able to seat you in the skyboxes to witness a pro game, take two steps forward. If your dad paid for private football lessons when you were 10 years old, take two steps forward. If your dad introduced you to legendary coaches and retired NFL players, take two steps forward. If your dad used his influence to secure a starting position on your high school football team, take two steps forward. If your dad made a donation to your "college of (his) choice" to secure a position on the football team, take two steps forward. How would you react to this thought provoking experiment? Would you be surprised by forthcoming comments? 

On October 22, 2017 at 5:34 PM, TxHoops said:

I thought it would be interesting what people would pull from this.  If you notice back at the starting point, there wasn’t only one race represented, although to be sure those left behind were predominately minorities.  And the speaker did make one reference to race/ethnicity before starting the kids running.  Some of the criteria related to family (and particularly fatherly) involvement, most all were socio-economic.  

I found it to be very thought provoking on many levels.  

I've no doubt the speaker had race in mind, but I agree about the family (father) socio-economics criteria.  Any kid, regardless of race, has an advantage if coming from a stable family environment.  I've seen, and continue to see these results in kids.  It's the reason I lament the decline in our basic idea of family, for all races, and especially blacks, where less than 30% of children are raised in two parent homes.  I have an idea how to reverse it, but I doubt society would be willing to take the necessary steps, for my idea is analogous to tough love.  How (if) it can be reversed, in a way acceptable to society, is beyond my knowledge.  But I sure wish someone could come up with a solution, for all of us.

30 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

I'll stick this here.  I doubt it fits but:  I was looking at stuff on twitter & I noticed there is, or was a black football player on the Evadale team.  More than one.  The one I saw was named Will Farr.  How long has this been going on?  Wow!

When I first started going to the games here about 5 years ago, they had a black QB.  This year there was a black girl as HC duchess (I think, not that familiar with HC royalty lol), and she's also a cheerleader.  Will is just a Soph, but a very good RB/LB.  He'll accumulate some big numbers before he graduates. Several more black kids at Evadale, but I'm not familiar with the numbers.

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I'll stick this here.  I doubt it fits but:  I was looking at stuff on twitter & I noticed there is, or was a black football player on the Evadale team.  More than one.  The one I saw was named Will Farr.  How long has this been going on?  Wow!

Evadale is a safe school, your kids can get taught, and coached up. Other schools in the area will fail one or all three of those criteria. 

4 hours ago, REBgp said:

I've no doubt the speaker had race in mind, but I agree about the family (father) socio-economics criteria.  Any kid, regardless of race, has an advantage if coming from a stable family environment.  I've seen, and continue to see these results in kids.  It's the reason I lament the decline in our basic idea of family, for all races, and especially blacks, where less than 30% of children are raised in two parent homes.  I have an idea how to reverse it, but I doubt society would be willing to take the necessary steps, for my idea is analogous to tough love.  How (if) it can be reversed, in a way acceptable to society, is beyond my knowledge.  But I sure wish someone could come up with a solution, for all of us.

This is what its like when the kids come from a divorced family "blended family" and all (so called )parents are fighting to be the cool parent.

I feel sorry for my kids.

I feel sorry for my kids. | I UPSET A MILLENNIAL SO BAD THE OTHER DAY BOTH PARENTS CALLED ME TO COMPLAIN | image tagged in memes,leonardo dicaprio wolf of wall street,millennials,iwanttobebacon | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

6 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Evadale is a safe school, your kids can get taught, and coached up. Other schools in the area will fail one or all three of those criteria. 

6 hours ago, jv_coach said:

This is what its like when the kids come from a divorced family "blended family" and all (so called )parents are fighting to be the cool parent.

I feel sorry for my kids.

This is the hidden content, please

JV Coach bringing the truth...

3 hours ago, Kountzer said:

My step daughter recently got married, just had twins.  She has an mba, works as a banker.  makes at least 4 Xs what I make.  There are success stories, just not enough of them.  

There is two great truths that we all have to understand, and at first they seem to be against each other, but in reality they work with each other.
We all make choices and we have to live with them whether they are right or wrong and time and chance happen to us all.

4 minutes ago, jv_coach said:

There is two great truths that we all have to understand, and at first they seem to be against each other, but in reality they work with each other.
We all make choices and we have to live with them whether they are right or wrong and time and chance happen to us all.

Would you agree that one should take ownership of the choices he/she makes and not attribute the failures of some of those choices to someone else?

There is no reason that, for the black kids, their parents couldn't still be together, pay their cell phone bills, put food on the table, send them to college, etc......I think that was a terrible way to try and explain life. That's what's wrong with the black kids anyway...... Always being told that it is not their's (or their parent's) fault, when in all actuality, IT IS.