What is wrong with the Lamar Men's Tennis Team?

Guest sportsfan89

Lamar Cardinals tennis is horrible, except for their number 1 guy who really is the only one who can get a win under his belt.  They lose to teams who don't even give tennis schloarships.  I went to watch them last year play UTSA Roadrunners and they only won 1 match the whole day.  They recruite guys from the Beaumont area who think they are good around here, but when compared to the whole state of Texas, really stink.  They took a look at Devin Harley who is descent in Beaumont, but really suxs.  Now for Cody form B.C., ya another good player, but come on Lamar you can do better.  These 2 kids aren't Division 1 players.  I have played with kids from Houston who I know for a fact that have beaten these 2 kids and they are just getting Division 3 schloarships. 

Lamar was so stupid to let the HUGE Czech Republican, Petr Neymnar(or however you spell it),  he placed second in 2A state and I have researched him and found he even played for their National Team.  Lamar was an idiot to let him go.

As for their girls, they are pretty good.

babolat2, you're partially correct. Last year was a very bad year for the men's program. they had alot of injuries and had no good recruiting to speak of. they had some walkons that performed reasonably well at times, but D1 tennis is very tough. They now have a new mens coach who knows his stuff and has to be a great improvement. He did not recruit those 2 kids you speak of, and I agree they are not D1 scholarship caliber . DIII doesn't give scholarships but they could probably play at that level. The neymar kid was recommended  to the previous coach who passed.  Lamar plays in a very tough conference w/ schools that have recruited alot of very good foreign players. You ought to come out to a match when you can. the level of play will amaze you. lastly , their top 3 guys are very very good. one is atransfer from texas tech, who was just named slc player of the week.

Your right about them maybe playing DIII somewhere, they could get a academic schloarship to play tennis.  I just had two of my good friends get full ride academic schloarships to play tennis at Texas Lutheran Univerisity next year.  I have seen lamar play a few matches last year and would of came April 1st, but I was improving my game by playing my two good friends and others in Houston.  I really glad they got the guy fomr Texas Tech, that should help them out a lot.  Now with new coach, things should look better. 

I went one time to watch them play UTSA and I recognized one of their players who I saw play in a 18 Champ tournament.  He was playing a friend of mine and the lamar kid lost and whats funny is now he is playing college tennis and my buddy didn't even get a shot anywhere.

Lamar played really well saturday. they are now 3-1 in conference! congratsto the guys! they are headed to lubbock this weekend and its gonna be a tough 2 days. ya know i've heard that at dIII schools that you can get $ just not in the form of an athletic sholarship. some people were shocked to say the least when the previous coach signed the 2 local kids to scholarships. hell the walkons were head and shoulders better than them.Lots of promises made and none kept. One did'n't last the semester and i don't think the other will play much.

Well good for them,  ya I know that Cody from B.C. has already quit and if I was the coach, I would of already kicked Devin Harley off the team.

This is what is said on the lamar tennis website:

High School: Attended Nederland High ... Competed for Coach Jorge Lopez ... MVP both junior and senior year ... Was 1st in district his senior year and 2nd in district his junior year for Tony Buagas and Ron Wesbrooks.

Thats a pretty good record.  He didn't go to state, win regionals, or nothing like that and he is on a D1 team.  Pathetic.

pathetic is an appropriate term. whats really pathetic is the # of players who got NO $ from the school yet busted their ass for the program, stayed gone for 5 weeks or so after Rita hit yet when it comes down to looking at who could help the program they got shut out. Pathetic, thats a great word. Pathetic's the girl's problem now, but their dropping like flies, and the excuses 'll surely be next.

Pathetic!

"of course they lost horribly" you make me laugh. do you realize Tech is nationally ranked (39)and new mexico state is avery good D1 program. The talent level on lu's men and womens team this year is tremendous. the new mens coach is very positive  , like night and day friom last year. as long as he gets left alone he'll keep improving the roster. i can only imagine what he could with the talent on the womens team. they should walk away w/ conference but sadly , probably won't.

I wonder how many girls will walk before next year? I'm sure some program in Mid county  can send in some top prospects (yeah right!)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder