Vidor Votes AGAINST Bond that would would have built a new High School

BMTSoulja1

19 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I have seen it.  The only thing about the new HS is they built it at a bad location and have poor drainage.  It floods and water stands close to the building.  Other than that, the classrooms are nice.  A close relative of mine worked there about 2 years ago, and I used to visit.

Construction quality was low...I know 1st hand.

And that's what happens when board members and council members don't go with the more qualified/experience construction companies.

anyhoot I got this off topic. sorry

There are kids in Africa, central, and south America with less and still learn.

If taxpayers say nay then nay it is.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Nothing in any of my posts have said anything about it being wrong to pay for something that children can use.  I think that Vidor getting a new high school or Nederland getting a new football stadium would be awesome. My opinion on either was never brought up so I'm not sure what your comment even means  or why it was stated. 

All that I have said is that the people who actually have to pay for it have made a decision. Again, it is easy for someone who is not paying the bills to vote yes for someone else's money to be spent. 

Isn't that how bonds work?  The board votes on it.  They don't actually pay for it.  

...unless I'm missing the point and have to dig deeper...  Maybe you're stating that Beaumont people don't foot the bills on these and the people of the outskirts do?  Make me understand, please...

4 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

And that's what happens when board members and council members don't go with the more qualified/experience construction companies.

Because they WANT to learn. School is more than an eight hour daycare.

14 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Those countries don't have the resources either.  We do.  And they don't prioritize their kids, most of the time.  

Just saying, the kids are our future.  You should want the best for them...  And not the best for you..  

12 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

...and Memorial did good in voting for theirs...  They have great facilities...  They also have probably the best student resources of any district in southeast Texas.  Problem is that not many take advantage of them...  

And Beaumont probation has more housing than any other district, again, based in sheer numbers...   It percentage-wise, I'm sure they're a lot more home owners in the district than ones on housing...

Serious question. Does that mean that tax payer money was wasted because they are not being used?

3 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Serious question. Does that mean that tax payer money was wasted because they are not being used?

Question is....  Is it federal moneys or taxpayers moneys?  If it's taxpayers, then I'd say yes.  But doesn't it need to be available for students to use since PAISD is a majority poverty district?  

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Question is....  Is it federal moneys or taxpayers moneys?  If it's taxpayers, then I'd say yes.  

Where in the HECK do you think "Federal money" comes from? 

Unbelievable. 

25 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Where in the HECK do you think "Federal money" comes from? 

Unbelievable. 

I was asked a question, and I answered...   BUT..... Do you agree that these resources need to be readily available for districts like that? ( I feel like a tape recorder now)

In addition to doing it for the kids, school facilities play a big part in the community's development, value and attraction. When schools are improving in communities around you the whole community pays, not just the students. In general bond issues are a big benefit economically. However, that doesn't mean that all bond issues are smart. Some districts may not have prepared properly, spent wisely in the past or maybe its just poor promotion. Unless you're knowledgeable in the details you really don't know if it's a good idea or a bad idea. Voters have the last say and are usually more informed than outsiders.

Guest ECBucFan
12 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Guy, you have no clue.  Because you still wiggled out of answering my question.  You must take me for one of THOSE guys.  

Your "question" is non sense. YOU are the one that is refusing to answer the question you tried use to get yourself out of the corner you painted yourself in.

But unlike you, here, I will state the painfully obvious reality you can't:

ALL money comes from TAXPAYERS. Period. The Federal Government, or local entities for that matter, have no money of their own. regardless what channel it passes through, it comes from working people. If taxes are raised on WalMart, Exxon Mobil, or whatever, the costs are ultimately passed through to the consumers (taxpayers). .      

Now, stop while you are even further behind, Mr. Staff Member. Class dismissed.   

Unfortunately, all school districts don't have a cash cow like ExxonMobil or Motiva to subsidize their revenue.  Just as an example, since I don't know the actual figures, for every dollar spent in BISD, say EM provides .25 cents.  So for a $76,000,000 bond in Bmt, the taxpayers would have to pay $57,000,000.  In many communities, that's not the case.  In Vidor, that extra $19,000,000 would predominantly come from taxpayers, ergo taxes go ^UP^.   And that not only means the people of Vidor are paying more, but businesses also.  I'm sure Vidor wants more businesses, but the extra tax burden would, almost assuredly, prevent some.

Do the people of Vidor want new and better schools?  Sure they do!  I'm confident they'd love to have facilities like Barbers Hill, but can they afford the extra burden?  Most of us, who don't live in Vidor, have no knowledge of what all was in the Bond Issue.  Perhaps there was a "deal breaker" in it.  I'm certainly not going to sit here in Evadale and second guess the responsible decision the taxpayers of Vidor made.

Guest ECBucFan
29 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I'm certainly not going to sit here in Evadale and second guess the responsible decision the taxpayers of Vidor made.

Great advice, for everyone. Why would anyone try to remove a PERCEIVED speck from someones else's eye, before removing a LOG from BISD's eye.   

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

Your "question" is non sense. YOU are the one that is refusing to answer the question you tried use to get yourself out of the corner you painted yourself in.

But unlike you, here, I will state the painfully obvious reality you can't:

ALL money comes from TAXPAYERS. Period. The Federal Government, or local entities for that matter, have no money of their own. regardless what channel it passes through, it comes from working people. If taxes are raised on WalMart, Exxon Mobil, or whatever, the costs are ultimately passed through to the consumers (taxpayers). .      

Now, stop while you are even further behind, Mr. Staff Member. Class dismissed.   

Just like some.  Grasp one point out of the statement but there was more than one.  It's a typical trait by some. 

But I'll take the high road.  I won't go back and forth over nonsense.  Have a great day.  

On 5/10/2017 at 0:01 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Isn't that how bonds work?  The board votes on it.  They don't actually pay for it.  

...unless I'm missing the point and have to dig deeper...  Maybe you're stating that Beaumont people don't foot the bills on these and the people of the outskirts do?  Make me understand, please...

The board puts it on the ballot. The registered voters in the district vote for or against. 

I am saying that people that have a higher land/home ownership have a higher percent of people whose taxes will go up if it passes. 

I am saying that it is easy to say..... "Sure, give me a brand new and awesome whatever...", if you aren't the one paying, AKA land or home owners. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

The board puts it on the ballot. The registered voters in the district vote for or against. 

I am saying that people that have a higher land/home ownership have a higher percent of people whose taxes will go up if it passes. 

I am saying that it is easy to say..... "Sure, give me a brand new and awesome whatever...", if you aren't the one paying, AKA land or home owners. 

Understood.