Vidor Votes AGAINST Bond that would would have built a new High School

BMTSoulja1

Guest ECBucFan

Vidor is exercising fiscal responsibility. Congrats to Vidor!

What problem do you see with Vidors vote result? I respect their choice, they probably know best. No headlines or real big issues that I know of...

Conversely, with all the h&ll that the BISD taxpayers have been through the past decade, of course the BISD district will have the highest scrutiny.      

Land owners pay the taxes. It is easy to vote for spending money when you aren't the one paying the bill.   

Apparently many of the people in Vidor actually own housing and don't want to fool the bill for a new school. The same thing happened in Nederland a few years ago with the bond that would have built a new football stadium. The people paying the taxes said no. 

4 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Vidor is exercising fiscal responsibility. Congrats to Vidor!

What problem do you see with Vidors vote result? I respect their choice, they probably know best. No headlines or real big issues that I know of...

Conversely, with all the h&ll that the BISD taxpayers have been through the past decade, of course the BISD district will have the highest scrutiny.      

Typical backwoods mentality...  Same mentality of Nederland.  Content with letting those kids learn in that building.  They're content with patchwork when the bond was there.  Obviously the well being of the kids are not high on the agenda...   The mentality of 'well, it was good enough for us, it's good for them'.  You went there 50 years ago.  But whatever...

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Land owners pay the taxes. It is easy to vote for spending money when you aren't the one paying the bill.   

Apparently many of the people in Vidor actually own housing and don't want to fool the bill for a new school. The same thing happened in Nederland a few years ago with the bond that would have built a new football stadium. The people paying the taxes said no. 

The old heads in Nederland never want change.  They're set in their 1940's mentality and the kids of the new generation have to suffer.  Nederland kids deserves new digs.  I'm sure more parents would feel this way vs. The detractors...

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Yup. BC voted one down year before last. People in government subsidized housing don't care about increased property taxes. Port Arthur would vote to build a new high school to replace the new Memorial if it went up for a vote tomorrow. 

...and Memorial did good in voting for theirs...  They have great facilities...  They also have probably the best student resources of any district in southeast Texas.  Problem is that not many take advantage of them...  

And Beaumont probation has more housing than any other district, again, based in sheer numbers...   It percentage-wise, I'm sure they're a lot more home owners in the district than ones on housing...

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The old heads in Nederland never want change.  They're set in their 1940's mentality and the kids of the new generation have to suffer.  Nederland kids deserves new digs.  I'm sure more parents would feel this way vs. The detractors...

Most of the people voting in Nederland are not the "old heads". In fact the protests to not pass the bond issue wasn't led by a bunch of old codgers. I spoke to several of them and they were a heck of a lot younger than me. 

Of course you probably are better in tune with the voting population in Nederland than I am. 

Maybe it was just that the people who actually had to pay for it, didn't want to. Again, it is easy to say build, spend, give me more..... when the person isn't the one paying the bills. 

Typical backwoods mentality...  Same mentality of Nederland.  Content with letting those kids learn in that building.  They're content with patchwork when the bond was there.  Obviously the well being of the kids are not high on the agenda...   The mentality of 'well, it was good enough for us, it's good for them'.  You went there 50 years ago.  But whatever...

So why is Beaumont the dumbest town in the U.S.A.?

Guest ECBucFan

Typical backwoods mentality...   Content with letting those kids learn in that building.  ... Obviously the well being of the kids are not high on the agenda...   You went there 50 years ago.

Can you rationally discuss with out resorting to insults? Whats your agenda with Vidor? Are the students in Vidor really "suffering"? Do you live there?

More importantly. were the BISD kids "high on the agenda" when millions of dollars were stolen from BISD? Were you outraged about that? BTW, I am not from Vidor or Nederland.  

People with no "skin in the game" like to talk about what people "deserve." 

I keep hearing how the kids at this school or that school "deserve" better facilities, turf, etc.... nothing is stopping any of you from scratching a personal check to the school of their choice to pay "your fair share" of what you feel the kiddos "deserve."

1 hour ago, baddog said:

So why is Beaumont the dumbest town in the U.S.A.?

Smh...  Most of the jobs in the oil field, what Beaumont is known for, DON'T require Degrees.  Then, based on the percentage of people that work the oil field, you have several people without degrees.  I guess people with high school diplomas and NOT college degrees equate to being DUMB to you, right?

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Most of the people voting in Nederland are not the "old heads". In fact the protests to not pass the bond issue wasn't led by a bunch of old codgers. I spoke to several of them and they were a heck of a lot younger than me. 

Of course you probably are better in tune with the voting population in Nederland than I am. 

Maybe it was just that the people who actually had to pay for it, didn't want to. Again, it is easy to say build, spend, give me more..... when the person isn't the one paying the bills. 

What's wrong with paying the bills when it directly benefits the kids, the most important thing here?  I guess the kids aren't that important...anywho...

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

Can you rationally discuss with out resorting to insults? Whats your agenda with Vidor? Are the students in Vidor really "suffering"? Do you live there?

More importantly. were the BISD kids "high on the agenda" when millions of dollars were stolen from BISD? Were you outraged about that? BTW, I am not from Vidor or Nederland.  

No issue with Vidor whatsoever...  They are a part of the immediate golden triangle.  Our area needs to upgrade and I was just upset to see those people really put their kids on the back burner.

The issue with the funds being stolen, it wasn't good.  I'm glad the right people were punished.  But I do know 2 things...a bond did pass and new schools and facilities were built AND the issues that was mentioned is NOT only limited to Beaumont ISD.

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

...and I didn't throw an insult, I spoke a truth.  It is backwoods mentality.  We never think of the bigger picture.  

14 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

People with no "skin in the game" like to talk about what people "deserve." 

I keep hearing how the kids at this school or that school "deserve" better facilities, turf, etc.... nothing is stopping any of you from scratching a personal check to the school of their choice to pay "your fair share" of what you feel the kiddos "deserve."

I know several families in Vidor and know their gripe.  I know a lady that I've known for years that moved to vidor ONLY because she could by a home with low mortgage and low taxes.  She's still trying to adjust to the lay of the land and she's been there for about 2 years...

Write a check?  Get really.  Why would anyone that's paying taxes WHERE THEY LIVE fork over dough to another district? Horrible rebuttal....

11 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Smh...  Most of the jobs in the oil field, what Beaumont is known for, DON'T require Degrees.  Then, based on the percentage of people that work the oil field, you have several people without degrees.  I guess people with high school diplomas and NOT college degrees equate to being DUMB to you, right?

Didn't know graduating high school was considered a degree. Bucfan beat me to the punch about concern for the kids.

Everyone in Beaumont works the oilfields?

BTW, I didn't create that label.

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Yup. BC voted one down year before last. People in government subsidized housing don't care about increased property taxes. Port Arthur would vote to build a new high school to replace the new Memorial if it went up for a vote tomorrow. 

speaking of memorial...have you seen it lately and not just the outside.  one it was built sloppy and two its not well taken care of by faculty or students

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I know several families in Vidor and know their gripe.  I know a lady that I've known for years that moved to vidor ONLY because she could by a home with low mortgage and low taxes.  She's still trying to adjust to the lay of the land and she's been there for about 2 years...

Write a check?  Get really.  Why would anyone that's paying taxes WHERE THEY LIVE fork over dough to another district? Horrible rebuttal....

I honestly don't know where you live.... but have you written a check to your local ISD "just because the kids deserve better?"  They'll act surprised because nobody ever does that, but they WILL take your money, I promise.  

People who don't have insurance squawk about how everybody should have a right to healthcare regardless of their ability to pay.  People who pay for their own coverage usually aren't so cavalier.  I have a hard time saying that everybody deserves what I work so hard to attain. 

Homeowners, business owners, and people that own more than just the house that they live in write checks every year to their local tax assessor collector and tend to be a little more cautious when it comes to approving bond issues for schools and local government.

People who aren't worried about property tax rates don't care about the cost of new facilities.

I currently pay property taxes in three differnent school districts.... so yes, I do kinda care about taxing entities going crazy with new construction, just because "the kids deserve it" or "we can create new jobs out here by the airport" or "this EDC will help to lure new businesses to the area."  I mean.... who really needs a natatorioum or a planetarium? Oh, wait... the kids deserve it. 

3 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

What's wrong with paying the bills when it directly benefits the kids, the most important thing here?  I guess the kids aren't that important...anywho...

Nothing in any of my posts have said anything about it being wrong to pay for something that children can use.  I think that Vidor getting a new high school or Nederland getting a new football stadium would be awesome. My opinion on either was never brought up so I'm not sure what your comment even means  or why it was stated. 

All that I have said is that the people who actually have to pay for it have made a decision. Again, it is easy for someone who is not paying the bills to vote yes for someone else's money to be spent. 

3 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

speaking of memorial...have you seen it lately and not just the outside.  one it was built sloppy and two its not well taken care of by faculty or students

I have seen it.  The only thing about the new HS is they built it at a bad location and have poor drainage.  It floods and water stands close to the building.  Other than that, the classrooms are nice.  A close relative of mine worked there about 2 years ago, and I used to visit.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I honestly don't know where you live.... but have you written a check to your local ISD "just because the kids deserve better?"  They'll act surprised because nobody ever does that, but they WILL take your money, I promise.  

People who don't have insurance squawk about how everybody should have a right to healthcare regardless of their ability to pay.  People who pay for their own coverage usually aren't so cavalier.  I have a hard time saying that everybody deserves what I work so hard to attain. 

Homeowners, business owners, and people that own more than just the house that they live in write checks every year to their local tax assessor collector and tend to be a little more cautious when it comes to approving bond issues for schools and local government.

People who aren't worried about property tax rates don't care about the cost of new facilities.

I currently pay property taxes in three differnent school districts.... so yes, I do kinda care about taxing entities going crazy with new construction, just because "the kids deserve it" or "we can create new jobs out here by the airport" or "this EDC will help to lure new businesses to the area."  I mean.... who really needs a natatorioum or a planetarium? Oh, wait... the kids deserve it. 

A natatorium ? No. I think nothing is wrong with a planetarium.  Again, my opinion.  

What you're  saying pretty much just falls in line with what I've said above.  The kids obviously are SECOND priority to some.  But to each of their own, I guess...

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

But those new facilities DID  boost test scores and reduce the dropout rate.  

Oh, wait.... that didn't happen. 

Did you know that there are great dropout prevention programs in place at memorial, but if those services are not utilized, what can you say.  The services are there, and if my kids were there, they're use all of the programs that they needed or benefit from.