FORT BEND TOURNAMENT ☆4A #2 SILSBEE ☆POST UPDATES HERE...

Who That

2 hours ago, REBgp said:

Being relatively new to basketball, I find it fascinating how guys can make so many 3's and then miss FT's.  That said, it mind boggles me that a team as good as Silsbee would miss 17 of them.  I've got a lot to learn.

Hard to concentrate when you have all eyes on you and watching your every move at a snail's pace.I see some guys look like they wanna hurry up and get it over with .

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Baytown Sterling 69 Houston Washington 49, Final

As I mentioned somewhere I talked to the coach of Houston Washington a few times.  He suggested that I should come watch them play.  I told him once that I am from Silsbee and he was  impressed by that.

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

Silsbee plays 6A (9-3) Alief Taylor tomorrow at 12pm. 

Alief Taylor played against Arlington Bowie in the time slot just before Silsbee vs Hightower yesterday.  Bowie opened up a 10 pt + lead on Taylor, but Alief Taylor came back and made a game out of it.  This should be a good test for Sislbee.

11 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It was pretty obvious after making Silsbee play their 2nd game just 1 and 1/2 hours after their first game while Hightower got to rest practically all day, that the "fix" was in. ;)

I spoke to 3 coaches at HJ tourney about that set up and all agreed that was "manipulating" the pool/bracket in favor of the home team.

*roll eyes* And smh

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I agreed on the ridiculousness of Silsbee having to play Wagner in the first round of the last tournament.  

But in this one, Silsbee got put in a relatively weak pool in this tournament, "relatively" because the other 7 pools had a stronger team in it than Hightower. If you look at the pools, Silsbee was definitely the "A" team in the pool and was expected to make the gold bracket.  

The bottom line is this:  if you miss EIGHTEEN free throws in a game and lose by 3, to make additional excuses is weak sauce.  Refs didn't cost you the game, time slots didn't cost you the game, YOU cost you the game.  Besides, if anyone can run through 2 games in a 4-5 hour period, a team that runs 12 to 14 deep ought to be able to do it.  If you don't shoot better from the line than that, good teams can beat you and really good teams WILL beat you.  Hopefully the Tigers get that issue corrected.  

AMEN!

Missing fts is a definite no no.  The set up well I think it speakers for itself.  Look at how HJ had pool play setup granted they had an even number of teams in each pool but they put all the teams in the same pool playing at the same time = time off.  Now granted one team or the other in a three team pool was going to have more rest but one team playing at 9 in the morning and the other playing at 1:30 is a BIG difference.  And as far as 12-14 deep in these games lately it has really been more like maybe 9-10 deep.

16 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Missing fts is a definite no no.  The set up well I think it speakers for itself.  Look at how HJ had pool play setup granted they had an even number of teams in each pool but they put all the teams in the same pool playing at the same time = time off.  Now granted one team or the other in a three team pool was going to have more rest but one team playing at 9 in the morning and the other playing at 1:30 is a BIG difference.  And as far as 12-14 deep in these games lately it has really been more like maybe 9-10 deep.

You are 12-14 deep.  Relative to other teams at least.  Not saying at all that your Coach should play that deep normally.  But there is no way anyone should whine about 15-18 yo kids playing two games in an afternoon, especially when you have that many kids who can really play (I.e., would be starters at most schools).  Make the majority of your free throws and you win.  Period.  

35 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

You are 12-14 deep.  Relative to other teams at least.  Not saying at all that your Coach should play that deep normally.  But there is no way anyone should whine about 15-18 yo kids playing two games in an afternoon, especially when you have that many kids who can really play (I.e., would be starters at most schools).  Make the majority of your free throws and you win.  Period.  

THANK YOU!

42 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I agree on the free throws and not whining about them playing two games in an afternoon but if you think a team with six hours rest isn't better off than a team having 1 1/2 we'll sorry but you are mistaken.   My argument isn't whether or not the Tigers should have could have or would have won.  These guys can play and can pull off such a feat but shouldn't be placed in that position.  Whether anyone wants to admit it or not that put Hightower in the best position they could have when facing us other that's blatantly putting us in back to back games. 

Hightower had the luxury of watching Silsbee play at 1:30 and resting for the next game. Silsbee only played 8 players most of that game until Devon and Trajun fouled out. Hightower beat us because they put rebounded us and made more free throws. If that game was played at 1:30pm, Silsbee wins by 10. You could see they were getting tired in the 4th qtr of that game. We will see how we look vs Alief Taylor tomorrow. Clear Springs was very fundamental and not a bad team. You can see the difference in a 6A team vs a 4A team. Moat of 5heb6A school are a lot bigger than Silsbee but Silsbee has been able to battle on the boards and knock down some outside shots. I think they hit about 11 the point shots vs Clear Creek 

TxHoop I'm in agreement with the free throw's causing US to lose. There's no excuse for a team that shoots from the 3 point line as well as we do to miss 18 free throws end of discussion!  Both losses that we've had can and will be because of poor free throw shooting (ie #1 team in 6a we missed 12 or 13) no other reasons. Shoot 80% as a team and you're undefeated. 

14 minutes ago, SLD2012 said:

TxHoop I'm in agreement with the free throw's causing US to lose. There's no excuse for a team that shoots from the 3 point line as well as we do to miss 18 free throws end of discussion!  Both losses that we've had can and will be because of poor free throw shooting (ie #1 team in 6a we missed 12 or 13) no other reasons. Shoot 80% as a team and you're undefeated. 

Amen.  That's all I'm saying.  And the good news is I'm sure that was Coach Sig's message to the team as well.  

Look, I was with you guys on the Wagner thing.  Thought it was dumb to put arguably the two best teams in the tournament against each other in the first round (akin to having Duke and Kentucky play first in March Madness).  

But FBISD gave Silsbee a road map to go deep in this one.  All you had to do was beat Eisenhower.  Not only that, if you had beaten a team that was clearly very beatable, they had probably the two best teams in the tournament in the opposite side of the bracket (Bush and Sam Houston, who ironically played in the first round of bracket play).   A game was lost that should have been won, regardless of rest.  Again, a deep team of teenagers should be able to play two games with an hour and a half in between with no issues. They aren't old out of shape old men like us.  I can promise you many from this bunch has played more physically demanding schedules than this in the past.