Coldspring-Oakhurst 40 La Marque 7/FINAL

WOSgrad

The Coldspring-Oakhurst Trojans begin their march to the Class 3A, Division I championship tonight as they face the La Marque Cougars in a bi-district match up!  Mark Byrd's Trojans, 4-5 on the season, finished 2nd in the District 11-3A-I race with a 4-2 record after a 31-18 loss to Woodville on Friday.  Meanwhile, the Cougars, 8-2 on the season, finished in 3rd place in District 12-3A-I with a 4-1 mark after a 12-10 victory over Hitchcock 12-10.

The winner of this game will face the winner of the Groesbeck/Rockdale matchup which will be played tomorrow night in Waco.

Join Ken Luck and Clint Davis for all of the action from Clyde Abshier Stadium in Deer Park beginning with the kickoff at 7 by tuning your radio to KETX 92.3 FM or by clicking on the following link:

This is the hidden content, please

Follow Coldspring-Oakhurst Trojan Playoff Football on The Eagle, KETX 92.3 FM and Your Source for Sports in Southeast Texas, SETXsports!

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

Wow. We may sweep this district. Awesome job Trojans!

12- 3A was weak, so Its certainly possible, but the Friday night games should be more competitive.

I dunno how LM beat Hitchcock last week. LM was terrible IMO. Incredible how far they have fallen from the glory days not too long ago. 

I was really surprised how bad La Marque was. I don't know how they won 8 games. I commented to someone during the game that they looked like a JV team. They are easily the worst LM team I've seen in over a decade. 

CS did play well but I've seen enough of CS this year to know that tonight's score had more to do with LM being really bad than CS being really good.

2 hours ago, The Icon said:

Congrats to Coldspring

It's weird seeing La Marque getting beat by Coldspring, it wasn't that long ago when they were dominating the old 4A Classification (Now 5A).

Coldspring had a 3-3 record against the Cougars going into this game. The last match up was 2 years ago and the Trojans ran through the Cougars then, And this was 3A football not 5 A

2 hours ago, Bigdaddy79 said:
  •  I feel next week will not be as good for the Trojans,

Because they should be playing a much better team next week.

Right now CS (with their current coaching staff) is your classic bully.

They beat up on the little guy (bad teams) but get exposed when they play a team that can counter with a decent/ good scheme and above average players to execute it. 

I haven't seen this staff beat a team that they shouldn't have yet but I have watched them lose to several teams that they shouldn't have. 

17 hours ago, Bigdaddy79 said:

Coldspring had a 3-3 record against the Cougars going into this game. The last match up was 2 years ago and the Trojans ran through the Cougars then, And this was 3A football not 5 A

Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't know this was 3A... Somewhere along the 30 years I've been following High School football, it evaded me that there is Re-Alignment. 

I'm fully aware of La Marque's drop in class, their failures with TEA and their significant drop in play. At one time, LM was premier HS football team in the state; they won multiple state titles in the larger classifications. The LM teams in the 90s steamrolled people, they had 2 state champs in the first decade of the 2000s.

It's a shame a school with such tradition is hemorrhaging. Congrats to Coldspring.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, MEM said:

Because they should be playing a much better team next week.

Right now CS (with their current coaching staff) is your classic bully.

They beat up on the little guy (bad teams) but get exposed when they play a team that can counter with a decent/ good scheme and above average players to execute it. 

I haven't seen this staff beat a team that they shouldn't have yet but I have watched them lose to several teams that they shouldn't have. 

I agree with you on this, and feel Friday night will be no different, I just hope they don't take a beating like they did last year against Atlanta.  

On 11/11/2016 at 3:59 AM, TrojanMoJo said:

Way to go to My Coldspring Trojans!!! This has been an up and down year I am very happy that the kids got their playoff win.  This team consists of a lot of underclassmen so for many of the student athletes this is the 1st time playing in a playoff game.  Congrats to The LaMarque Cougars on a good season.

Roster shows 21 Seniors I thought

Underclassmen aren't the issue or problem...CS has plenty of kids playing this year who were starters or significant contributors on last years playoff team...

When CS played for a state championship several years ago they had a soph playing QB as well as other soph's and other underclassmen starting and playing key roles...Most small schools will have plenty of underclassmen playing key roles because they don't have the luxury of having 85-100+ kids to choose from like the larger classification schools have...

CS isn't as talented across the board as they have been in the recent past, however, they are still more than enough talented at several positions such as QB, RB and WR to be a tough out in the playoffs if they could put it all together...

Hello everyone TrojanMojo has been under weather!! I have missed my forum fellow bloggers.  If the roster shows 21 seniors @bradyb, it may have been players that return from academic suspensions or discplinary issues.  The majority of the players who start for this team are not seniors they are sophomores and juniors.  Most of the seniors are on the team have not played that much football or they are on the team to earn a letterman jacket or just to say they played football their senior year.