Shepherd at Cleveland/Post updates here!

WOSgrad

As the fans were arriving, approximately 6:30-6:45, the officials had everyone leave the stands due to a threatening lightening storm. They also stopped admitting anyone else to the stadium. Don't know anything after that. Rain persisted throughout most of the evening. I don't know if the game eventually went forward or not.

Family member told me that shepherds coach called the game at 745 and wasn't interested in waiting for the weather to clear up or even reschedule. But hell they have a JV game They were gonna play on Saturday that got called because of lightning Thursday. Seems like shepherd got scared.

Well Kegger I don't think you received the correct information. But it is your story, tell it like you want. The officials called the game. It was still lightening at 7:45. The only thing you are correct on is the game is cancelled and there is no make-up (OH and I heard it was the Cleveland Coaches, but I know that it is not true). Cleveland's field had water standing completely around it with no drainage, smelled like it had been there for months. That would of been one messy game.

I don't recall a high school willing to tear their field up (due to weather) to make up a JV game. You are correct they were going to make it up, but with all the rain and more predicted, they were not going to chance messing the field up for a JV game.

All of that sounds good except that to my knowledge that was the only game that cancelled in our area. With modern technology you can tell when the weather will clear up. The lightning didn't persist much past 8 pm. As for the field getting messed up, the game is football not baseball.

Well I am telling you the officials called the game, I don't think the coach can call the game or it would be a forfeit not a cancelled game. I don't care about the field getting tore up for a varsity game, but not even Cleveland is going to tear their field up to make up a jv game. Just not going to happen. If Splendora's game was played in Splendora then they can play all they want due to having a new turf field. That's a game changer. Anyway, I do not think Shepherd was scared, I don't remember anyone in the last decade being scared to play Cleveland. I do believe Shepherd has won the last 2 to 3 meetings.

I really love how a team can have a couple of down seasons and people start to forget how they've been dominated by them on a consistent basis. So let me give you a reminder. Shepherd has won the previous two years. Two years in which they had some unusual talent on their team. However since Cleveland has started to consistently play shepherd the last 18 years, Cleveland has a 15-3 Win loss record. That includes the past 2 years. 

Now as far as the game last night the officials were willing to wait out the storm as was Cleveland. However from multiple reports Shepherds coach was unwilling to wait. Maybe it was the long drive home, maybe it was because they didn't want to mess up the field in Cleveland, or maybe he didn't want to start the season by getting blown out.

Honestly I don't know why he called the game. I just think it's ridiculous to only wait 30 minutes after the original start time of a game to call it. The rain wasn't pouring down. It was a drizzle. The only thing that was stopping the game was lightning which was gonna pass through for good by 830. For the first game of the season with a team only 15 minutes away I would think there would be more effort to play that game. And before people start saying it was the officials that called it, everyone I talked to said the officials were waiting to find out what the two teams wanted to do. So whatever his reasoning was for calling the game it robbed both teams a game that they won't get back. 

I apologize Kegger, Those well informed people you talked to must be right. So if the coach called the game, why was Cleveland so willing to give me my money back on tickets? If it wasn't official there is no way they would of given me my money back. I guess we can just say Shepherd forfeited and Cleveland is now 1-0 on the year. That should put the fear in the other teams Cleveland will be playing this year.

Oh and for the record I never said that Shepherd was a dominate football team or was going to win the game. I was just trying to get you to see how stupid your comment about a Head football coach cancelling a game (because he was scared) that his team has won the last two years. I watched Cleveland warm up and I did not see anything that would strike that much fear in the Shepherd coaches.

What are you even talking about idk? Oh wait your screen name says it all. You got your money back because no game took place genius. Maybe that's not how it works in Shepherd but throughout the rest of the state that's what happens when you purchase a ticket to a game that then gets cancelled. You kept saying the officials called the game. That was not the case. The officials and everyone involved on the Cleveland side wanted to wait out the weather. Shepherds coach waited until 8 and then packed up. So as far as his reasons I don't know. But I do know that Cleveland and the officials were fine with waiting. There's no forfeit because it's a nondistric game. But that doesn't matter to me. I just wanted these boys get to play a game they have worked for on both sides. So whatever you say about his reasoning is whatever, but that game didn't take place because shepherd wasn't ok with waiting. Which sucks for the kids on both teams.

I guess you missed my point, but that is ok, I really didn't expect you to get it anyway. I'm done having this discussion with you. So I give in. Shepherd was scared (more like totally afraid) and all the boys were crying and begging the coaches to take them home. Just the shear size and speed of Cleveland was just too much to handle. So we took our ball or lack of balls and went home.

There was not a need to play the game, Heck it wouldn't even of been as good as a practice for Cleveland.