Michael or Michael?

31 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

No one has ever dominated a single sport the way Phelps has! Michael Jordan played a team sport here Phelps is more of a individual sport. Swimming is only popular once every four years. I would also say Usain Bolt is just as dominate as Phelps

Gold Medals totals would argue otherwise

Bolt and Phelps are both very dominant. Big difference in medals is largely due to he number of events Phelps can participate and the fact that at present time he has participated in 2 more olympics than Bolt(since Bolt has yet to participate in a final this time).  Both being "sprinters" in their respective sports. At this point I would definitely give the edge to Phelps b cause of longevity and versatility, in the different strokes.  I don't know if you can actually compare the two Michael's.

I personally think it's no question that Phelps is the more accomplished athlete.  I'm a huge MJ fan.  He is definitely one of if not the greatest to have ever played the game of basketball.  But team sport accolades are also dependant of having a good team.  During the peak of MJ's career there were 2 other Top 50 NBA all time players on his same team.  I'm not saying he doesn't deserve everything he accomplished, I'm just saying team sports are different.  Even during those years his team lost games.  And some games he wasn't leading scorer on his own team.  There are certain events that Phelps has never lost.  Ever.

Is MJ the best scorer of all time? Debatable. Best guard? Debatable. Best passer? No. Best ball handler? No. Won the most titles? No. Best defending guard? Debatable.

Is Phelps the fastest swimmer of all time? Yes.  Not debatable.

25 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I personally think it's no question that Phelps is the more accomplished athlete.  I'm a huge MJ fan.  He is definitely one of if not the greatest to have ever played the game of basketball.  But team sport accolades are also dependant of having a good team.  During the peak of MJ's career there were 2 other Top 50 NBA all time players on his same team.  I'm not saying he doesn't deserve everything he accomplished, I'm just saying team sports are different.  Even during those years his team lost games.  And some games he wasn't leading scorer on his own team.  There are certain events that Phelps has never lost.  Ever.

Is MJ the best scorer of all time? Debatable. Best guard? Debatable. Best passer? No. Best ball handler? No. Won the most titles? No. Best defending guard? Debatable.

Is Phelps the fastest swimmer of all time? Yes.  Not debatable.

Well stated. 

How many gold medals phelps got as a team like relay. Phelps can't compare to the money Jordan making I think like a 100 million last year just on brand Jordan's and I think it's just as hard to win in team sports because you have to all sink and have the same goal great players always make the supporting cast better but lost in all this both guys are great at what they do 

How much money one makes does not relate directly to greatness.  If Bill Russell was playing in modern times, I suspect his earnings and endorsementts would surpass that of everyone else.  JMO  From my perspective, there is far less room for Phelps to make an "error" than there would have been for Jordan.

I definitely agree Jordan had more room for error as a part of a team.  There is no good way to compare an individual sport vs a team sport.  The closest thing to me of an individual aspect for MJ was when someone made a statement against Jordan and then MJ always responded in a big way.  Awful tough for me to take one over the other both ruled their world.

44 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I definitely agree Jordan had more room for error as a part of a team.  There is no good way to compare an individual sport vs a team sport.  The closest thing to me of an individual aspect for MJ was when someone made a statement against Jordan and then MJ always responded in a big way.  Awful tough for me to take one over the other both ruled their world.

You are right on MJ having more room for error then phelps. phelps had one race to win a gold in the championship round vs you have 7 games to close out a series even though MJ never needed 7 to do it.