Orangefield at Shepherd/Post scrimmage comments here!

WOSgrad

Both teams were very vanilla, neither team ran more than 4 or 5 different plays. Orangefield has a very big offensive line, but Shepherd gave them fits. They stacked the box with 9 guys and it was hard to get much going. Orangefield did have one nice drive for the only score of the game. 

Shepherd lost a ton, but showed signs of being pretty good. If they can get the shot gun snap down their offense will be more effective, if not they might want to get under center more. That high snap was throwing off their timing on almost every play. 

Orangefield defensively looked pretty good, thought we would struggle some but we had some kids step up. Offensively like I said above, was very very basic. I'm sure we'll be ok by the time real football starts. We definitely have the size and some pretty good backs, and with a new OC calling plays it's going to take some time for everyone to get on the same page.

It was about what you would expect for the first scrimmage of the year. Like bobkat said very vanilla (as you would expect) Shepherd has put in a entirely new offense, the spread is no more.

Orangefields O Line is of good size but did not seam to get a very good push against a much smaller Shepherd D Line. As the same with Shepherd. They didn't get as much of a push as you would think they would. Same as Bobkat, both O Lines need work but should be ok once the first game is here.

Both Defenses ran to the ball and tackled well, took Shepherd a few plays to get going but they held pretty well. Shepherd has a new DC also. So it will take a little time to get things corrected. Orangefield didn't shy away and held their ground well. Shepherd had a few good runs but Orangefield stiffened up and held them off. Orangefield broke a pretty long run that set up the only score.

All in all it was a good practice against someone other than your teammates. I think both teams will be ok, I think they will play very hard and whoever their opponent is, will know they were in a dog fight that night.

Neither team has a bunch of players on the sidelines, I don't know about Orangefield but Shepherd lost a lot last year.  This week both teams will get back to work and should look much better Thurs. or Fri. Night.

I think our offense fits the type of kids we have. We've been pretty good on the offensive side of the ball for the past 5 years are so. Nothing against both Kress and Gonzales but I'm not sure either would flourish in a spread type offense. Both run our offense extremely well, so it's a luxury to have two QB's that you can trust to run your offense if something was to happen to the other. With all that said, I do expect us to try to throw the ball more often this season. And I've noticed in practice that both QB's can get that done. 

2 hours ago, idk said:

It was about what you would expect for the first scrimmage of the year. Like bobkat said very vanilla (as you would expect) Shepherd has put in a entirely new offense, the spread is no more.

Orangefields O Line is of good size but did not seam to get a very good push against a much smaller Shepherd D Line. As the same with Shepherd. They didn't get as much of a push as you would think they would. Same as Bobkat, both O Lines need work but should be ok once the first game is here.

Both Defenses ran to the ball and tackled well, took Shepherd a few plays to get going but they held pretty well. Shepherd has a new DC also. So it will take a little time to get things corrected. Orangefield didn't shy away and held their ground well. Shepherd had a few good runs but Orangefield stiffened up and held them off. Orangefield broke a pretty long run that set up the only score.

All in all it was a good practice against someone other than your teammates. I think both teams will be ok, I think they will play very hard and whoever their opponent is, will know they were in a dog fight that night.

Neither team has a bunch of players on the sidelines, I don't know about Orangefield but Shepherd lost a lot last year.  This week both teams will get back to work and should look much better Thurs. or Fri. Night.

Thanks can't wait for y'all to come to Bellville 

If we compare both to Last Year QB (You don't know how good he was until he's not there), Both QB's needs some work.  In this offense Kress is obvious choice, much quicker and faster.  Gonzales too big for the Wing-T but can throw.  Up to the coach to use the talent where it best benefits the team and program. Even with a new OC, OF is sold out to the Wing-T.  Good Chance OF can come in 2nd in district this year.  High expectations for the 2016 Bobcats.

We do need to be more balanced and I believe that's the plan, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Watkins will be tough to replace, he was a threat to take it to the house from the qb position. But more balance will help with that. I just wished we would do some drop back passes to go with our bootleg passing game. I know our offense sets up the bootleg rollout type plays, but a simple 3 step drop to hit a slant or quick hitter to the tight end or back out of the backfield would add another dimension to this offense. When defenses stack the box with 9 defenders to stop the run, the middle of the field always seems open to me, maybe it's not but it seems to be. Just my opinion...

18 minutes ago, Bobkat said:

We do need to be more balanced and I believe that's the plan, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Watkins will be tough to replace, he was a threat to take it to the house from the qb position. But more balance will help with that. I just wished we would do some drop back passes to go with our bootleg passing game. I know our offense sets up the bootleg rollout type plays, but a simple 3 step drop to hit a slant or quick hitter to the tight end or back out of the backfield would add another dimension to this offense. When defenses stack the box with 9 defenders to stop the run, the middle of the field always seems open to me, maybe it's not but it seems to be. Just my opinion...

I like to be balance, but you also need good skill players out wide who can make plays. It makes it were you're not so predicable. I know OF has had some good teams with this offense, but I think adding some more passes in the game would push them further into the playoffs. Then again I'm just like most of y'all. Just a fan in the stands with opinions.

Everyone is saying more balanced approach but the moment we go 3 and out from shot gun or throw a few int's.... The ones asking for balance will be the first to say run it up the middle like we've always done. 

With 9 defensive players in the box... Full back dive is the obvious/only choice for the Wing-T.