front page poll

I have to disagree with you, Play-ball.  Bridge City is loaded with talent year in and year out.  But - I have to agree with the poll results thus far, LCM has enjoyed more success over the years, even those seasons after "graduating the house" they seem to find a way to make it to the post season, often deep into the play-offs. It would be interesting to see the numbers over the last 10-12 years of the local program's successes that are listed in this poll (but I agree, Bridge City should have been named individually, not as a part of the "other" category, which could include lots of local teams when people are voting on the subject).  How many head coaches have each of these teams had, how many post season appearances and how far into the post season, etc to see if the results of this poll hold up.  I would also like to see how many of those teams saw players continue on to the next level, etc.  To me, all of those factors make a program worthy of the honor of being "the best of the best".

Just taking a swift look , like to make a couple of comments, the bus driver comment-- if that is true why do the pro's need a coach, as for LCM what class are they in, i know in the late 70's and 80's LCM won very few and in fact never won against me when i played for BC but then again we were in the same class.

If you are going to argue who won or lost as far back as the 70's and early 80's, we would need to be sure to include Thomas Jefferson High School's baseball program in this poll, they won the whole enchalada somewhere in there.

I think it is difficult to look back that far when discussing who has the best overall program today.  That can certainly change from one decade to the next and as I stated in the previous post takes into account much more than the past one or two seasons.  Consistancy in success over 10 or so years is what I consider to be the deciding factor on a strong program... post season play off depth, players that went on to play college ball (it would be interesting to see how many even made it to the professional level, however, by that time, it is natural talent over what you gained from the quality of your high school and college program).

i guess i was talking to the comment about LCM vs BC, my real question to that comment is what is the record when the 2 schools were in the same class whether it was 3A or 4A. I don't know what class LCM is , i just thought they were considered a larger school. McNeese is considered to have a good program but can you compare it to a major college like Texas? And i played ball at Mcneese so this is not a dig against them..

I think you have to put the big three there PN-G, Nederland, LC-M. The last time PN-G missed the playoffs was in 96 when they finished in a 3rd place tie in 5A. 

Heres the playoff appearances over the past years...

06,05,04,03,02,01,00,99,98,97,95,94,91,89,88,87,86,85......Not sure past that.

85,86,87,88,95 was in 5A.

Plus they were state finalists in 2000 and semifinalists in 2004. In the late 90's Bridge City was a non-factor in district.

im gonna go ahead and say that the "other " in that category is bc...im betting that most everyone that voted other had bc in mind

People from BH, Huffman, HJ and HF might disagree with you.  There are plenty of these people on this message board.  I would say atleast half these votes would go to one of them.

WHAT A JOKE ALL THE TRASHING OF BC.

They were great under Chuck Young, Sam Moore and now under Bryant.  Some of the best long-range baseball around for nearly forty-five years.  Hid and watch as the season develops!

I don't think anyone is trashing BC, but give some "other" teams some credit on the pole. I don't understand why Bridge City wasn't listed as an individual candidate on the pole either, but I have to agree that fans from other schools are reading the choices, not seeing "their team" and voting under other.  Bridge City was great under Chuck Young.  In 4A they struggled, even with Dan Fletcher (you remember him I'm sure) on the hill, they didn't make the play-offs.  But I will give them credit, now that they are down in 3A, they have been a big fish in a smaller pond so to speak and they do shine.

WHEN YOU SAY THE PLAYOFFS ARE YOU TALKING THE STATE TOURNEY

If you are referrring to my post stating BC did not make the play-offs in 4A when they had Dan Fletcher I am not referring to the State Tourney, I am referring to the post season.  They were not in the top three in their district, so did not make a play-off run in any way during any year he was their #1 pitcher in 4A, and he was drafted out of high school.  Fletcher graduates, BC moves down to 3A and they have done well.

gibbs01

Freshman

[applaud] [smite]

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: front page poll

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote

bridge city is 1-11 over the past decade against LC-M so how can they be the best program in the area.

Congratulations! I see you were chosen as making the most inaccurate sports post in baseball for this month.  Voted by people who know and care about accuracy in baseball information..

Guest Orangeboy

I would consider a great program, one that has been good for at least 10-15 years. Had successful players that had the opportunity to play at the next level. I also think a great program produces future coaches that come back to coach at the HS level and make a difference much like that of their coaches when they were in HS. A great program also gives assistant coaches the opportunity to move on and take head coaching jobs.

Not sure how they struggled in4A? State finals in 1992 (4A), regional finals in 1993(4A), got beat by A&M Concolidated in the snd or 3rd round in 90 or 91 (4A). That is one heck of a srtuggle in 4A.  ??? ??? That is when two teams went to the palyoffs

Not sure how they struggled in4A? State finals in 1992 (4A), regional finals in 1993(4A), got beat by A&M Concolidated in the snd or 3rd round in 90 or 91 (4A). That is one heck of a srtuggle in 4A.  ??? ??? That is when two teams went to the palyoffs

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  They struggled in the mid to late 90's under Coach Moore (no disrespect to him whatsoever) with a great pitcher like Dan Fletcher could not make the post season-and then with coach Moore they move down to 3A and make the play-offs and have done great since under Coach Bryant as well.  They are certainly a 3A powerhouse since changing classification.  My post regarding BC has never been meant to disrespect, only to make a point of the consistency of LCM which in my opinion validates them as front runner in the front page poll.

Coach Moore did not coach BC in the 90's at all. I man named Mark Jones did. Sam got the job BC's last year in 4A which was the 2000 baseball season. Then went to the playoffs every year after that.

Coach Moore did not coach BC in the 90's at all. I man named Mark Jones did. Sam got the job BC's last year in 4A which was the 2000 baseball season. Then went to the playoffs every year after that.

So I am getting old and my memory is failing, my point remains the same.  I do, however, remember Dan Fletcher (who doesn't?) BC did not make the playoffs in 4A Dan Fletchers senior year under Coach Sam Moore, or under Coach Jones his soph. or junior year.  My point remains, BC struggled in 4A with a flame thrower that was drafted out of high school.  He graduates, BC moves to 3A and low and behold, they have not looked back. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder