Flashy or methodical basketball

What do you like and for what reason(s) do you like your particular style or brand of basketball?

1) Flashy - uptempo, fast pace, creating turnovers, pressure, transition points, etc.

2) Methodical- many offensive sets, working the clock, movement thru sets, nothing forceful, precise and fundamental, etc.

I like to watch fast paced just more exciting.  However, since I am used to watching my Tigers, I wouldn't really consider Big Sandy fast paced although they can definitely play fast at times.  I consider them more deliberate usually and love watching them as well. So I guess as long as it's not painfully slow I like both.  There are good things about both styles for me anyway.

A team that can play both styles is a very good team.  Back when PA Lincoln was in control pretty much, they would sometimes run teams out of the gym.  Then again coach Gamble once one a state championship with the score in the 40s.  If the style brings home a trophy no one will know or care when it is all history.  They just remember the championship.

I think Silsbee's coach Sigler does a good job of taking the players he has and making it work. Over the years Tiger teams are usually not that tall.  There are exceptions, but usually they are not.  They are also usually not good jump shooters or free throw shooting teams.  To overcome all that Sigler takes what he has, guard play, athleticism and presses and runs to win games.  I don't know if methodical would work for Silsbee.  It used to back in the day, under coach Dan Montgomery, but that was a long time ago.

11 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

What do you like and for what reason(s) do you like your particular style or brand of basketball?

1) Flashy - uptempo, fast pace, creating turnovers, pressure, transition points, etc.

2) Methodical- many offensive sets, working the clock, movement thru sets, nothing forceful, precise and fundamental, etc.

Actually, they are both in the same. If you think about it, teams that are able to adapt to other styles of basketball when they can't force their "will" on other teams are your more successful programs. When the game doesn't go to plan, can you adapt & make adjustments. Recipe for Championship pedigree. JMO

2 minutes ago, Bigcam2903 said:

Actually, they are both in the same. If you think about it, teams that are able to adapt to other styles of basketball when they can't force their "will" on other teams are your more successful programs. When the game doesn't go to plan, can you adapt & make adjustments. Recipe for Championship pedigree. JMO

If you are watching collegiate basketball, or basketball at the professional level, you are correct.

This is a conversation regarding HS basketball in which those two often NEVER happen together, below the 5A level.

Well, you must be watching some poorly developed programs.  Tempo can change in an instant, depends on who initiates it, If a team decides they want to run or slow it up, the opposing team has to make the adjustment or dictate their own. It's about matchups, a chess match.  Summer basketball has turned into one- on- one watch me do my thang run up and down the floor B.S.  which filters into the HS setting. 

Give me a team any day that can run a half court set & get out & run when necessary, & I'll show you a successful program.   Again, JMO

3 minutes ago, Bigcam2903 said:

Well, you must be watching some poorly developed programs.  Tempo can change in an instant, depends on who initiates it, If a team decides they want to run or slow it up, the opposing team has to make the adjustment or dictate their own. It's about matchups, a chess match.  Summer basketball has turned into one- on- one watch me do my thang run up and down the floor B.S.  which filters into the HS setting. 

Give me a team any day that can run a half court set & get out & run when necessary, & I'll show you a successful program.   Again, JMO

Big Sandy

14 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

So I assume this is the classic case of 'Real basketball' vs. 'the rest' ...  Lol

I'll take the bait :)

I prefer the traditional approach. Yes that does include pressure and traps defensively, but also the ability to actually run your offense. Love to see a team that can actually shoot mid range jumpers off a pick.

15 minutes ago, Lightning/Eagle said:

I'll take the bait :)

I prefer the traditional approach. Yes that does include pressure and traps defensively, but also the ability to actually run your offense. Love to see a team that can actually shoot mid range jumpers off a pick.

Lol.  I know I'd catch one.  Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Pressing , trapping defenses will win you a lot ballgames until you run up against a club with really good ball handling guards . If that is your only avenue to score , off turnovers , then you are dead in the water. In a possession type ball game there is no substitute for  teams that know how to screen and move, spread the the floor and shoot !