When Does Saveat Start Getting His Props?

BLUEDOVE3

4 hours ago, Dick Vitale said:

I think he is a product of following a legendary coach at a basketball tradition rich program. People think that its supposed to be easy and wins come by just showing up. Marquis has done an exceptional job over there and deserves this honor!

He may be a product of following a legendary coach and Ozen does have a basketball tradition rich program, but Saveat has consistently been at the regional tournament since he took over the job.  Many people thought it would be a drop off when Boutte left because all the talent wasn't going to Ozen.  But he has won despite a lot of the talent going to other schools.  I recall when Toe-Toe was a freshman and T.J. and Nijal were freshman and there were so many expectations.  Even from me.  Look at the Central team last year that was stacked with talent, and he beat them twice I think.  More importantly when it counted to go to state.  And the kid Comeaux came out of nowhere this year to become one of the better players in the area this year, which means Saveat is developing players also.   I support all of the Golden Triangle schools, but the Ozen teams seem to consistently get it done when not many other people think they will get it done. 

Yes!  I spoke to Coach Mike T a few times during summer league!  He will be a great head coach someday when given the opportunity.  I hope BISD gives him an opportunity if a basketball job comes open and not make the mistake of going outside the program like some say Silsbee should do in football.  It is proven with Saveat that you should hire someone that has an interest in the student athletes, has ties to the community and school, and wants to build a program for the long haul.  Unless the coach applying has state tournament on his resume. 

32 minutes ago, 409HOOPS said:

Yes!  I spoke to Coach Mike T a few times during summer league!  He will be a great head coach someday when given the opportunity.  I hope BISD gives him an opportunity if a basketball job comes open and not make the mistake of going outside the program like some say Silsbee should do in football.  It is proven with Saveat that you should hire someone that has an interest in the student athletes, has ties to the community and school, and wants to build a program for the long haul.  Unless the coach applying has state tournament on his resume. 

Na I hope Mike T waits it out and take over after Saveat leaves...

1 hour ago, ozensfinest said:

Not only to Saveat but to guys like Mike T as well he's done a great job of getting those kids to buy in and work on their games. It's crazy yall give English credit and don't give Saveat any when his resume is 10x better than English.....

Yes, because this thread gives him no credit for the job he's done.  Do you actually read what people say about Saveat on this site or are you so used to playing the "poor me" act that you can't help yourself?

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yes, because this thread gives him no credit for the job he's done.  Do you actually read what people say about Saveat on this site or are you so used to playing the "poor me" act that you can't help yourself?

For one the name of this thread speak for itself so obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way....for two you misinterpreted what I said as usual, would you disagree that English gets more love on this site than Saveat? If I didn't know anything about any of the coaches in the area and read things posted on this site in the basketball forums is it fair to say that I would get the perception that English is the best coach in 22-5A? Also my comment was directed towards DV saying that outside of a few coaches no coach in the area had a better resume than English which is absurd.....Nice try though!

3 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

For one the name of this thread speak for itself so obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way....for two you misinterpreted what I said as usual, would you disagree that English gets more love on this site than Saveat? If I didn't know anything about any of the coaches in the area and read things posted on this site in the basketball forums is it fair to say that I would get the perception that English is the best coach in 22-5A? Also my comment was directed towards DV saying that outside of a few coaches no coach in the area had a better resume than English which is absurd.....Nice try though!

Maybe so.  I just don't see it as one or the other.  DV, and myself, have consistently said Saveat has done a great job at Ozen.  But you are probably right about English getting more praise overall.  Most of that probably has to do with where the two coach.  

11 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Maybe so.  I just don't see it as one or the other.  DV, and myself, have consistently said Saveat has done a great job at Ozen.  But you are probably right about English getting more praise overall.  Most of that probably has to do with where the two coach.  

A lot more die hard Nederland fans on here than ozen.  Based on his posts in the BISD thread, that's not what OF is trying to insinuate.

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

A lot more die hard Nederland fans on here than ozen.  But judging by a lot of his posts, that's not what OF is trying to insinuate.

Lol it's probably around the same amount of Ozen fans on this board as Ned....we just don't praise our coach for beating up on the Dayton's, H-F', and vidor's of the world thats all. And I'm glad you know exactly what I'm insinuating cause it's the truth.

Just now, ozensfinest said:

Lol it's probably around the same amount of Ozen fans on this board as Ned....we just don't praise our coach for beating up on the Dayton's, H-F', and vidor's of the world thats all. 

Both coaches are great. English has a long history of doing more with less.  Saveat has shown he can can get the best out of talented teams.  Both are admirable traits in a coach, and both deserve all the credit they get 

Just now, bullets13 said:

Both coaches are great. English has a long history of doing more with less.  Saveat has shown he can can get the best out of talented teams.  Both are admirable traits in a coach, and both deserve all the credit they get 

To be honest Saveat hasn't had very talented teams...none of the teams he has coached I would consider amongst the best teams to come through not even close actually. So actually he is doing more with less. Bottom line English and Saveat shouldn't even be in the same sentence two different caliber of coaches especially if were judging off body of work. I think a lot of you get caught up in what English could or would do if he got a job with more talent than what he's actually done as a head coach.

2 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I'm sure he would have no problem getting them to the first round of the playoffs like English did....

Maybe,or maybe not. It would be interesting to see if he could led them to the regional tournament twice. There wouldn't be a better way to prove your point about how average English is.  

2 hours ago, 409HOOPS said:

He may be a product of following a legendary coach and Ozen does have a basketball tradition rich program, but Saveat has consistently been at the regional tournament since he took over the job.  Many people thought it would be a drop off when Boutte left because all the talent wasn't going to Ozen.  But he has won despite a lot of the talent going to other schools.  I recall when Toe-Toe was a freshman and T.J. and Nijal were freshman and there were so many expectations.  Even from me.  Look at the Central team last year that was stacked with talent, and he beat them twice I think.  More importantly when it counted to go to state.  And the kid Comeaux came out of nowhere this year to become one of the better players in the area this year, which means Saveat is developing players also.   I support all of the Golden Triangle schools, but the Ozen teams seem to consistently get it done when not many other people think they will get it done. 

And BTW, Comeaux didn't come out of nowhere.  Kid was playing at a high level last year as well...

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And BTW, Comeaux didn't come out of nowhere.  Kid was playing at a high level last year as well...

Comeaux is a good player but Boyd does a lot for him. Take Boyd away and Ozen isn't the same team. That showed during the summer when Big Sandy and Kelly both beat Ozen by double digits without Boyd. 

And OF, since when have you been high on Saveat?  I remember not long ago, you gave Boutee praise and you downtalked Saveat because you were in your feelings because Ozen wasn't consistently beating Central anymore....  And you said it wouldn't have happened under Boutee's watch and the program went to shambles since Saveat took over.  Well, this is not verbatim, but pretty much what you said.  Many heated arguments we had about this, you and I.  We used to ask you how do you run Ozen into the ground but carry the name Ozensfinest.  It's just amazing what a few years bring now.  A state championship appearance later and you're all in.  Ozen has the best guards in the state...  Saveat is great.  Boyd is the best guard in this area...  Ect, ect, ect.....

3 minutes ago, BIG SHOW said:

Comeaux is a good player but Boyd does a lot for him. Take Boyd away and Ozen isn't the same team. That showed during the summer when Big Sandy and Kelly both beat Ozen by double digits without Boyd. 

I'm saying that he didn't just come out of nowhere.  Kid's been a monster on the court...

41 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And OF, since when have you been high on Saveat?  I remember not Kong ago, you gave Boutee praise and you downtalked Saveat because you were in your feelings because Ozen wasn't consistently beating Central anymore....  And you said it wouldn't have happened under Boutee's watch and the program went to shambles since Saveat took over.  Well, this is not verbatim, but pretty much what you said.  Many heated arguments we had about this, you and I.  We used to ask you how do you run Ozen into the ground but carry the name Ozensfinest.  It's just amazing what a few years bring now.  A state championship appearance later and you're all in.  Ozen has the best guards in the state...  Saveat is great.  Boyd is the best guard in this area...  Ect, ect, ect.....

Drops mic....walks away....